New rule suggestion: Overwatch

By fhaugh, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

OVERWATCH: On it's activation a unit may use both it's action to enter OVERWATCH . Place an OVERWATCH token next to the unit. While on OVERWATCH the unit may fire with any or all of it's weapons on a enemy unit that completes an action within LOS and range. The same circumstances that would allow a reactive-fire attempt will allow overwatch-fire. If the unit wishes to use it's overwatch-fire, the token is removed, and one die is rolled. If the result is a BLANK , the unit may fire normally at the triggering enemy unit. If the result is a HIT , the unit's attack is treated as SUSTAINED ATTACK . The attack may only target the triggering unit, and is completed before the enemy unit may finish it's activation.

A unit on OVERWATCH may only attack one enemy unit, and when the attack is complete, they may perform no other actions unless re-activated through a command squad ability.

More than one unit may be placed on OVERWATCH , and an enemy unit may trigger more than one overwatch-fire. However, the controlling player must declare which units will use their overwatch before any dice rolls are made, including the initial roll to determine normal or sustained attack.

If the attack used includes range C weapons , the enemy may retailiate as normal.

The NCO command squad ability STIMULANT KIT may not be combined with OVERWATCH .

Units with ADVANCED REACTIVE FIRE roll TWO dice to determine normal or sustained attack. If either of them result in a HIT the attack is sustained.

Units with SUPERIOR REACTIVE FIRE roll THREE dice to determine normal or sustained attack. If any of them result in a HIT the attack is sustained.

It's a good logical rule (don't like the idea of sustained though as a unit would not be able take time to aim properly or shoot of more bullets in this situation), but I fear it would slow down the movement and pace of the game. It's a bad enough decision to move a unit when it could be reacted to; if you know the unit would be shot at, due to the high casualty rate of the game, you would not move into the field of fire at all. It will also make vehicles with U range even more deadly and imposible for a unit to enter the LOS corridor. If you made the rule to be able to fire in the same way Reaction Fire does (need 'hits' to fire) it would be more useable, even a good addition to the game, but as it stands its a no from me.

Yeah, while I generally like Overwatch type rules, I think that it's pretty clear that it does *not* fit in with the designers' vision of the game.

It seems like such a rule would really favor a defensive, "turtling" strategy, and the designers seem to prefer folks to play offensively.