LOS for Tank Riders Question

By Reorder, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

So the question came up today during a game on whether or not the outside riders on a Sturmprinz can see over the heads of a ground unit. The situation was: I had my Heavy Recon riding on the outside of the Sturmprinz with a Zombie unit in front of the tank. I wanted to use the Heavy Recon team to shoot at my opponents Hammers unit, which was adjacent to the Zombies, but he argued that the Zombies blocked line of sight. Does the outside riding unit get a raised LOS since technically they are above the fray?

Thanks

Reorder-

This issue has already been raised, still waiting on an official answer.

In theory they should be able to fire as they are sitting on a vehicle that can fire over the top of squads, but I fear the opposite may be true as there is no rule concerning this issue so the normal rules come in to play. With recent rule decisions being as they are, I'd suggest you play what you feel is the logical way to play tings and not ask. Your mate is just being a rules lawyer on this question.

Unfortunately, I agree. It seems more often than not it's best to go with your own reasoned ruling for such a situation than to ask for Zach's official answer.

Although, if you were to replace the Prinzluther with a building and the Heavy recon were on the second floor, wouldn't the zombies still block LOS? Since the target unit is right behind them (Pg17, Op. Cerebus)

Kind of raises the question how a walker can shoot over something that a man on the second floor couldn't. Never really thought about that till now.

Good point, as all units are adjacent LOS would be blocked but the question is still valid when the target is not adjacent.

Heya folks-

First off, thanks for the responses! We've decided that since they are on top of the tank they get a raised LOS. It only makes sense, and my buddy is playing the Germans this weekend.

I took a look at the Cerberus booklet again Fhaugh and found that the LOS rules don't realy apply. Maybe I'm wrong but the way I read them from the examples was that the zombies get replaced with a hotdog and that from the 2nd floor the LOS to the Hammers would be blocked becuase of the size of the hotdog (example from page 17). So I just assumed that meant that if a soldier unit was where the hotdog is in the example either unit would be open to LOS from the 2nd floor. They also mention that the hotdog doesn't block LOS if the Hammers weren't adjacent to it. (pg 17 again in the examples.)

Either way thanks again for the help in these matters.

Reorder-

While the example does use a walker, the rules only refer to a "unit". Logically, you're right, a walker should block but not infantry. But the rule lawyers will say otherwise.

If the los is not extended for the tank riders it makes that ability a bit useless

Did anyone ever receive an official answer from FFG on this?

From the FAQ
Q: On what part of a tank are tank riders
positioned? Do they need to use a MOVE
action to move from one side of the tank
to the other?
A: Tank riders are considered to be on both squares of the
tank. As such, tank riders do not need to perform a MOVE
action to move from one side of the tank to the other. If range
and line of sight can be drawn to any square of the tank they
are riding, the tank riders may be targeted by attacks from
enemy units. Conversely, if the tank riders would have range
and line of sight to an enemy unit from either square of the
tank, they may attack or attempt reactive fire as normal.
Sounds like they have the same profile as the vehicle they are riding, i.e. drawing LOS from the tank/to the tank. I would say they can shoot over the zombies.