Tracker App for iOS

By Rince, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Could you please offer the ability to rotate the app? I play card games using my iPad on a stand in the horizontal orientation.

That said, great work on the app, looking forward to further development.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I am not supporting horizontal orientation because the app is inherently for two players; so that someone might use it with a stand never entered my mind. Nevertheless, I am currently looking into the possibility of adding single player support where everyone would just track his or her own attributes. When I get around to actually work on it, I will certainly look into horizontal support as well.

Rince said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I am not supporting horizontal orientation because the app is inherently for two players; so that someone might use it with a stand never entered my mind. Nevertheless, I am currently looking into the possibility of adding single player support where everyone would just track his or her own attributes. When I get around to actually work on it, I will certainly look into horizontal support as well.

PJStelford said:

Much obliged. To clarify, the stand is placed sideways between the two players. For analogy purposes look into the App "MTG Score." This placement allows both players to reach the application while allowing observers to see game state at a glance.

I will check out the app and look for some inspiration. ;)

PJStelford said:

One issue from an (admittedly brief) look over the app is it appears to have the active player keeping track of things. I feel that due to time constraints in tournament settings it would perhaps be better for the non-active player to keep track of actions, as during your opponent's turn you have a minimal amount of actions and reactions available to you.

I'll be honest, this concept is quite alien to me. I have never actually seen anyone doing that, not even on tournaments. Don't get me wrong, I see your point, and I am sure there are people who play the way you described; I just think that If I made a significant change like that, the thousands of people who already use the app would almost certainly find the new arrangement more confusing that useful.

However, it could certainly be an optional layout for a future update. But it would take significantly more time to implement than if I were only giving players one choice; so, it probably won't happen the very near future.

PJStelford said:

That said, these comments make it seem like I am looking a very gifted horse in the mouth. You've done excellent work, and if you are accepting donations at all I would be glad to send a bill or three your way as a thank you for your work. I'd be really interested in how hard it would be to get you motivated to program a Netrunner tournament pairer app!

Thank you! :) But as I stated many times before, I am not doing this for the money. AN Tracker is a little side-project for me, and I am doing it purely for fun. If you really want to give, donate the money you would've gave me to a charity of your choice. ;)

Oh, and what is a tournament pairer app? :)

Rince said:

Oh, and what is a tournament pairer app? :)

If theres any card game where a digital tracker app would feel appropriate and "in theme", Netrunner is surely the one. Or should that be "The One"?

Sadly, the Swiss-style tournament, what they also use for chess tournaments and for AN, is lacking in the App Store. There are other apps, but they are mostly for Round Robin tourneys, for example

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mtg-swiss-tournament/id637495252?mt=8

For those looking for this wonderful app, the app is now called AN Tracker.

And Rince, thank you for making it available for the iPad, where I keep all the Rules, Errata, tourney info, etc! :')

Edited by Kuk

Just wanted to let everyone know that a new version with a number of improvements and a completely overhauled look is in the works. I expect to release it sometime in mid-September, shortly after iOS 7 comes out.

In the meantime, my playgroup finally passed the 100 mark in saved matches; so, I though I put up the statistics here. The numbers are obviously not representative, but nevertheless it might be of interest to some people. I sure would love to see how others are fairing statistics-wise. :)

netrunner_statistics_105.jpg

Thanks again for this great app. Looking forward to seeing the new version!

As an aside, have you thought about doing a similar app for the Star Wars LCG? Obviously it doesn't have the same things to keep track of, but it'd be fun to have something that at least keeps a running count of game times and win percentages and the like.

Unfortunately, I don't play the Star Wars LCG; I wouldn't even know where to start. :(

I am interested but with Netrunner occupying the bulk of my free time and the Call of Cthulhu LCG taking up the rest, I am afraid I would not find time for a third card game.

Edited by Rince

Hey guys,

Just a quick update on the new version of AN Tracker. Development is going a little slower than anticipated; at the current rate, I am estimating early to mid October for the release.

The good news is that I basically finished the iPhone version. It needs a bit more fine tuning, and the layout to be adjusted for older phones, but otherwise done and seems to run really well. I implemented 2 brand new features, a new flashier design, countless bug fixes, a few small tweaks to make using the app more intuitive, and lots of code optimizations (the current version has a lot more graphical elements; yet, already about 2 megabytes smaller and even runs faster).

The only big thing remaining is the iPad version, but I don't anticipate that to take more than a month (hopefully less).

Stay tuned!

Edited by Rince

The app looks great but the thing is that it does all the game tracking like credits and so on but during tournament’s you can’t have your phone/tablet on the table whit you so it turns in to a pain to track games, the thing I want is just a part where I can enter player name faction and id played for that player and score for player and then add the info for player 2 and maybe a note part where you can add notes like remember not to do that next time. And then get a nice history of my plays and how I’m doing vs a faction and a player so example I know I’m good vs jinteki A but I can see in the stats that I keep losing to David’s Jinteki so now I know what player I’m struggling vs and what faction that player plays and I can try to beater my play and evolve as a Netrunner player. I know that there are android apps for that purpose like Run Tracker . Is it something that you might be interested in adding to the app?

Well done. I like this along with flat beads for virus counters etc.

the thing I want is just a part where I can enter player name faction and id played for that player and score for player and then add the info for player 2 and maybe a note part where you can add notes like remember not to do that next time. And then get a nice history of my plays and how I’m doing vs a faction and a player so example I know I’m good vs jinteki A but I can see in the stats that I keep losing to David’s Jinteki so now I know what player I’m struggling vs and what faction that player plays and I can try to beater my play and evolve as a Netrunner player. I know that there are android apps for that purpose like Run Tracker . Is it something that you might be interested in adding to the app?

Hi Boddymut,

First of all, sorry for the late reply. I've been quite busy lately, and haven't been around here. What you described is partly in the app already. I mean, nothing stops you to just save your games without actually tracking them. Just tap save when you create a new game, set your opponent's name, faction, who won, even add notes and your done (although if you do that, your average times will be screwed up in the statisics because you will save your games with 0 seconds).

You can see the stats of your saved games in he history view, but they work the exact opposite of what you described. The current history view does not show you how you did agains a particular faction but how you did with it. But AN Tracker does tracks your win-loss ratio with all 7 factions.

In the version I am currently working on, I added more details to the statistics view (and a bunch of other features I don't want to talk about just yet). But you brought up some interesting points that are actually doable with the current data the app saves. So yes, I am interested in what you described, and will think about a way to implement it (if not whole at least parts of it). But it will definitely not going to be in the next update, as that is already quite feature-rich without these added tasks, and I am already behind scedule. :S

To the rest of you,

Thank you for the kind words! Honestly, that is the reason I am doing this app.

Unfortunately, I am going a bit slower than I anticipated (mainly due to lack of time); so, the next update may not come until early November. I am testing the new version every week wih my playgroup and ran into some bugs that need to be ironed out before the app can be released. I want this version to be as close to perfect as possible, and that also complicates things. ;) Anyways, I haven't decided yet, but I may release the phone versions first and do the iPad a few weeks later.

No problem whit the late response. Im glad that you’re looking into doing some more whit the history tracking. I’m gona give It a new try and get over that my game time is going to be a bit wonky can’t wait for the update now that you hyped new features.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy your app although I have some questions about it, and possibly some recommandation (which obviously you are welcome to ignore).

1- unless I am missing it, there should be an "undo" bouton. If by mistake you cast your action before adding the credits you were suppose to, I don't see a way to go back. So the next turn you can fix this, but it kind of cheap the history that the apps keeps of the last few turns.

2- from the stats screen we see from the app store, it seems you can track your stats regarding which faction you choose and which faction you are playing against. I have absolutely no idea how I can "switch" the runner or corporation faction on the App. **edit: (found out that you do this only once you want to save your match up. good but I think it would be more intuitive if we could choose each faction right before the start of the match, possibly even entering the identity that was used).

3- There are some counters which are pretty obvious (credits for example) but yet I am unsure about some of them. Is the one with the skull for the runner is there to register the number of brain damage? if so, shouldn't the icon be changed for a brain? What about the on to the top left for the runner (2 circles). Is that supposed to be for tags?

4- For the corporation, credits again is obvious but I am not sure what the other one is there for, bad publicity?

5- no counter for Agendas?

I guess from my question, maybe I'm just a noob, but there is some confusion on my part at least, regarding what the counters are for. Maybe a little tutorial, or text overlay the first time you open the app to refresh our memory of what they are for?

Also, depending on what is each counter, I could easily see more being added. like Agenda points (with winner screens and key to prompt saving for stats).

Also, consider maybe allowing to choose the names of the player and faction at the start of the game instead of just when saving? Seems more intuitive that way.

anyway, hope you are not reading this has a critic. I love your app, just making suggestion on how it could be improved and also, with some questions I have about it.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Guibs

1- unless I am missing it, there should be an "undo" bouton. If by mistake you cast your action before adding the credits you were suppose to, I don't see a way to go back. So the next turn you can fix this, but it kind of cheap the history that the apps keeps of the last few turns.

While the clicks are non-reversible, all the other attributes are. So, you can add or substract credits even in your opponent's turn, as you should since corps need to pay for ICE in the runner's turns. As for the clicks, you are not the first person who wants an undo option for those. I will think about adding it in the next version. It is not that big a deal.

2- from the stats screen we see from the app store, it seems you can track your stats regarding which faction you choose and which faction you are playing against. I have absolutely no idea how I can "switch" the runner or corporation faction on the App. **edit: (found out that you do this only once you want to save your match up. good but I think it would be more intuitive if we could choose each faction right before the start of the match, possibly even entering the identity that was used).

The problem with your suggestion is that not everyone saves their games. Some people just want to play a quick match and not save, and it would be counter intuitive to force them to mess with factions and names and stuff.

3- There are some counters which are pretty obvious (credits for example) but yet I am unsure about some of them. Is the one with the skull for the runner is there to register the number of brain damage? if so, shouldn't the icon be changed for a brain? What about the on to the top left for the runner (2 circles). Is that supposed to be for tags?

4- For the corporation, credits again is obvious but I am not sure what the other one is there for, bad publicity?

You are right on both. That is what they mean. But I am thinking about adding a tooltip in a future version. But with those the problem would be the same why the icons are not the original ones from the game. I'd like to keep the app free from copyright trouble (even if FFG is actually pretty cool about these things).

5- no counter for Agendas?

Never felt the need for them, since you just take the cards you score. Also, there is no space for it (not in the phone versions at least). :)

anyway, hope you are not reading this has a critic. I love your app, just making suggestion on how it could be improved and also, with some questions I have about it.

Keep up the good work.

Never feel bad for giving constructive criticism. I am actually looking forward to reading them. Lots of features that are currently in the game or coming in the next update are community requests. So, I thank you for taking your time and giving me your feedback!

Edited by Rince

Sadly, the Swiss-style tournament, what they also use for chess tournaments and for AN, is lacking in the App Store. There are other apps, but they are mostly for Round Robin tourneys, for example

NRTM is a Netrunner Tournament Manager app for iPad (iPhone coming soon). Get it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nrtm/id695468874?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

NRTM implements Swiss Style pairings and the full NR tournament scoring system. Apparently FFG staff have used it during the Plugged-In Tour.

Version 2.0 of AN Tracker is available now:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/an-tracker/id586004981?mt=8

Here are the new features and bug fixes:

↳ Brand new design
↳ iOS7 integration
↳ Single player mode
↳ You can now see individual player statistics in the history view
↳ Code optimization (the app is actually several megabytes smaller now)
↳ Corrected inaccuracies in statistics
↳ Fixed the bug when the app would become sluggish for no apparent reason

But, of course, there is more coming in the future!

If you have any comments, suggestion, or feedback, feel free to share it with me!

Edited by Rince

In my playgroup, we reached over 200 saved games; so, I though it might be fun to share the statistics (of course, it is by no means representative):

netrunner_statistics_201.jpg

Hi, the app appears like "no longer available to purchase".

Will it be again available or there was some extra issues?

Cheers

Hi all,

Here is a little sneak peak from the next version of AN Tracker (it is only one of the new features of course). The final build needs a little more attention, but the bulk of the work is basically done and is being play tested a we speak. That is the good news. The bad is that I'll be overseas all throughout April; so, the earliest the new version can hit the App Store is mid-May, but early June is a bit more realistic.

Stay tuned!

- R.

an_tracker_v2_5_preview.jpg

Full sized image: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bVXLPBX1E4E/UzcavMLgyJI/AAAAAAAAFEI/tsN36WUa9Xo/s0/an_tracker_v2_5_preview.jpg

Edited by Rince

I just used your app the other day. my opponent brought his iPad and we used the app in lieu of counters. I've never really been a fan of ios. But your app is brilliant. I may need to pick up an old iphone or 1st gen iPad. Thank you, it's really great.