Tracker App for iOS

By Rince, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Hi all,

Recently, Apple has accepted my app, which is basically a “life counter” for Netrunner. It allows you to track brain damage , link , tags , and bad publicity , as well as credits and clicks for both sides. Using the program basically eliminates almost all need for those pesky tokens, making the game much more fluid and easier to follow. If you have one of those deck boxes with the “secret” compartment for a few dice, you can basically leave all your tokens at home. No more tedious sorting, fallen pieces; it is easy, fast, and convenient.

The app is completely free with absolutely no advertisement; I made this not because I wanted to make money but because I love the game, and I want to make it even more enjoyable for everyone. Here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/an-tracker/id586004981?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 or search for “android tracker” in the App Store. It is available for all iDevices from iOS 4.3 and up.

I hope you will like the app, and that it will make your runs even more fun!

Best regard,
- Rince

u.i.: If you find my applicaton helpful, please consider leaving me a 5-star review. It will help motivate me to make future updates (one of which is coming pretty soon, adding turn and time counters to 3.5 inch handsets)! If you have suggestions or comments, you can reach me here, on Board Game Geek, or on the website I set for support in the App Store.

Dude, that looks badass! Hopefully someone with smarts can develop a similar app for Android, would love to have access to something like this :-)

An official app from FFG would also be awesome, but I must say yours looks very polished.

Rince said:

Hi all,

Recently, Apple has accepted my app, which is basically a “life counter” for Netrunner. It allows you to track brain damage , link , tags , and bad publicity , as well as credits and clicks for both sides. Using the program basically eliminates almost all need for those pesky tokens, making the game much more fluid and easier to follow. If you have one of those deck boxes with the “secret” compartment for a few dice, you can basically leave all your tokens at home. No more tedious sorting, fallen pieces; it is easy, fast, and convenient.

The app is completely free with absolutely no advertisement; I made this not because I wanted to make money but because I love the game, and I want to make it even more enjoyable for everyone. Here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/an-tracker/id586004981?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 or search for “android tracker” in the App Store. It is available for all iDevices from iOS 4.3 and up.

I hope you will like the app, and that it will make your runs even more fun!

Best regard,
- Rince

u.i.: If you find my applicaton helpful, please consider leaving me a 5-star review. It will help motivate me to make future updates (one of which is coming pretty soon, adding turn and time counters to 3.5 inch handsets)! If you have suggestions or comments, you can reach me here, on Board Game Geek, or on the website I set for support in the App Store.

Simple, elegant and awesome! Good work!

Thanks, both of you!

Dancingcrab! On BGG, several guys already indicated that they are working on something similar for Android devices; so, I am sure an app similar to this will hit the Play Store sometime very soon!

This looks great, nice work! An Android version would be awesome.

My only reservation is that I actually love using "those pesky tokens" ;)

this is awesome. thanks!!

Wow, I just installed it on my iPhone. I love it. I gave it a 5 star rating on the iTunes Ireland store.

Many thanks

Matt

I've downloaded it and it works good but I do prefer the tokens and will continue to use those. This will come in handy when traveling.

Thanks a bunch; I try to keep up with user comments and request and implement everything that benefits the app.

The first update that adds time and turn counters to the older handset versions has already been submitted to Apple and should hit the App Store in the next few days (or possibly late December if I miss the 21 store closure). Several other updates are also in consideration.

Version 1.1 of AN Tracker is out!

It adds time and turn counters to 3.5 inch handsets and some minor cosmetic changes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/an-tracker/id586004981?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Big thanks to the guys at Apple who rushed out the update ahead of schedule to beat the holiday store closure. But, a much bigger thanks is due to the close to 500 people who downloaded the application in the brief one week period since it came out! The amount of support I am receiving with this tiny, insignificant app is incredible! Thank you very much! Also, thanks for everyone who gave constructive criticism, reviewed the app, or just said someting nice!

I will keep reading all your comments and suggestions and will try to implement as much requests as possible to make your Netrunner games even smoother and easyer.

Happy holidays!

That looks very handy. Is there any chance of having it on Anroid platform as well?

PerAsperaAdAstra said:

That looks very handy. Is there any chance of having it on Anroid platform as well?

Not from me. But, as I mentioned above, several guys on BGG already indicated they are working on something similar for Android. So, I would be very surprised if a similar tracker application did not hit the Play Store sometime in the near future.

Hi,

Firstly, great app! very handy!

However, im having a hard time figuring out one last icon on the runner's side. The one with 2 circles.

I do get the idea that there's icon for Brain Damage, Credits and Links. But what's the last icon with 2 circles are for?

Could it be for virus counter?

Yongster said:

. . . what's the last icon with 2 circles are for?

Tag. That is a crosshair. :)

Virus counters are problematic for two reasons:

1. There is simply no space for them.

2. Virus counters generally go onto actual cards; in other words, they always belong to somewhere and don't just sit by themselves! Therefore, counting them separately would make everything really confusing. You would have to indicate, which virus counter belongs to which card, making the whole tracking process slow and cumbersome. This goes against the basic idea of AN Tracker.

There are processes that simply do not make sense to digitalize. In my opinion, virus counters are one of them.

I use 12-sided dice instead of tokens. They fit cozy in my deck box's dice compartment and perfect to track on-card effects, such as virus counters and recurring credits.

Wow. That's a ridiculously handy app. Thanks so much for your time and contribution to the game!

Thanx mate, looks awsome, easy five stars on the Istore :)

Thanks both of you! I appreciate the encouragement. I'll try to keep up the, hopefully good, work. :)

Thank you for putting in your own time in developing this app and offering it for free.

It would be great if the app could also track the individual players play time.

Looking forward to any of your updates.

It would be great to see someone in the community could help you out and create the same App for the Adroid platform.

AN Tracker 1.3 is out now, and in it, we get:

- New active player indicators
- Chess clock option (the app records how much time individual players have spent in a game)
- A statistics view at the end of every game
- A few cosmetic tweaks
- And sounds (in case you missed version 1.2 ;) )

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/an-tracker/id586004981?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4%26amp%3Buo%3D4

It is not the end of the road though. I have a ton of ideas for improvements and new features. I try to work on the app whenever time allows; so, we should see many more updates in the (hopefully near) future.

In the meantime, if you have any comments, suggestions, criticism, or you found a bug you would like to report, feel free to contact me here or on the website I set for support in the App Store. I read every message and will try to address all your concerns!

I LOVE your app, gave you 5 stars.

Would you consider doing the app for Android? I would gladly pay for it.

Thank you, I appreciate your support! aliviado

Unfortunately, as I said before, I do not work for Android. On BGG, several guys indicated that an Android version is in the works (completely separate from this projects), but that is all I know. I do not follow their progress; so, I do not know what stage their app is currently in. Sorry. avergonzado_triste

I took mobile development at my local community college, became a developer, and never produced an app.

I spent all my free time downloading the videos and learning, once I figured something out I moved on to the next thing. I'm so frustrated that I never took the time to make a single app… the simplicity of your app makes me sick. I mean it's genius. Not a million things going on, not a million views to dance between, just simple buttons… simple flow… ugh. You make me want to renew my license.

I ended up getting so excited about big apps that I had like 4 I was in the middle of. Then I would hit a library that I didn't understand and so I started studying and learning it… which led to two years of developer license but no app.

I just wanted to say that your app is amazing… way to go… and if you charged a buck for it? I'd buy it.

Thank you! reir

Actually many people said they would gladly pay for it, but I am not doing this for the money. AN Tracker will remain free forever. complice

Hi all,

Version 1.4 has just been approved by Apple and should be available worldwide shortly. With this latest update, an old idea of mine makes its way into AN Tracker: the ability to save your games.

AN Tracker can now store information about each matchup, such as the date it has been played on, how much time each player spent, the overall time, turns spent, who won/lost and with what faction, etc, and saves it into a data file. Once you built up a reasonably large database, you can gain non-representative but still pretty cool info out of it.

However, since it might not be readily apparent how to do things, here is a little overview of the new features:

When you finish a matchup and want to start a new one, AN Tracker will offer you the option to save it. Click on the “Save” button and the following screen will greet you:

tutorial_01.jpg

Here, you can set the names of the players (the game actually stores the last name pair; so, you don’t have to type them in every time if you play with the same person), and their respective sides and factions. Blue obviously represents the corp while red the runner. Inside the blue/red areas, you can set the appropriate faction, which are also represented by colors. On the corp-side these are: HB, Jinteki, NBN, and Weyland, while on the runner-side: Anarch, Criminal, and Shaper in this order. The last thing you need to set before saving is the winning side which you can do by selecting the little checkmark below the winning faction. All other numerical data is stored automatically with your game.

If you want to check you saved games, bring up the menu with a left swipe and click on the button that resembles a pie-chart (it is located on the bottom right corner in the iPad version).

tutorial_02.jpg

On the statistics screen, everything is pretty self-explanatory. You can check a particular game by tapping on it in the table view on the right, or see a detailed analysis of all your games by touching the three lines at the bottom. If you want to go back, simply swipe right or tap the back arrow at the bottom of the screen (in the iPad version, there is no separate statistics for individual games as space was sufficient to show all relevant data of saved games within the table view itself; so, cells in the iPad version are not interactive).

If, for any reason, you want to delete a game from your database, make the customary right swipe on it and a red “Erase” button will emerge. Once you tap the “erase” button, however, there is no way back; your game will be forever deleted!

The last thing I need to talk about is iTunes file share. When you hook up your iDevice with your Mac or PC, in iTunes you can save, replace, and override your AN Tracker data file (AN_GameData.dat). Simple choose your iDevice, go to Apps, and scroll down to file share. There, you can select AN Tracker, save the data to your computer, modify it with a simple text editor, and then upload it back to AN Tracker. With iTunes file share, it is possible to compile one large database out of data collected from several iDevices, which I hope many of you will find quite useful.

tutorial_03.jpg

It is important to keep in mind, however, that a faulty data file can cause the app to crash; so, tamper with it at your own risk! If the worst already happened, delete the faulty file and let AN Tracker create a new one at startup.

I hope this new addition will be welcomed by most of you, and that AN Tracker will prove to be an handier tool than before. Thank you for your support and keep playing Netrunner! ;)

Sincerely,

- Rince

p.s.: This was a fairly large update; so, it is possible, however unlikely, that minor (or even major) bugs remained in the code (even though I tested the crap out of the app on numerous devices). If you find a bug, please bare with me! Send me a message here or on the support website, and I will do everything to fix the problem ASAP.

p.s.2: I am looking into iCloud support, the possibility to rank individual players within the statistics view, and the ability to track only your own attributes so you don’t have to share a device with your partner. So no need to mention those; I read all your comments and listen to all your suggestions! ;)

p.s.3: I am aware of the bug when the app all of a sudden becomes sluggish; the one where only a full device restart helps. I am onto the problem and try to release an update addressing it in the next couple of weeks.