Midnight returns?

By Dimitri Mazieres, in Midnight Second Edition

It's really great to see Midnight back on FFG's website, which proves that it hasn't been forgotten by its parent company :)

Could we have any confirmation about whether this means that there are plans in the future for Midnight (new products, re-issue of old products on paper), or is this only for the benefit of the pdfs?

It certainly has drawn attention on various RPG sites:

Against the Shadow

ENWorld

RPG.net

We are all hoping and waiting.

Long live the Shadow…

What I'd really like to see is the people behind Midnight sitting down with Paizo and releasing it with the Pathfinder rules. Midnight was very well done, and Pathfinder has a lot to offer it as a game. Having everything touched up and streamlined to fit in with Pathfinder would only be good for Midnight.

Tashiro said:

What I'd really like to see is the people behind Midnight sitting down with Paizo and releasing it with the Pathfinder rules. Midnight was very well done, and Pathfinder has a lot to offer it as a game. Having everything touched up and streamlined to fit in with Pathfinder would only be good for Midnight.

While I realize that this thread is a bit old I would love to second this. I am a big fan of Pathfinder and feel that Midnight would make a wonderful addition if the rules were tweaked for Paizo. I really don't like 3.5 and am eager to see this done.

Love the setting, but not a fan of D20 (any version). What I'd like to see is a secondary edition using another system.

I would gladly contribute a lot of money to a Midnight Kickstarter for a 3rd Edition. All I want is a Core Rulebook and I would be happy. I would happily convert all my other books to those new 3rd Edition. Come on FFG, give us some love and we will give it back double!

~ alemander

This needs to happen, perhaps using the new system developed for the Star Wars RPG.

Tashiro said:

While I realize that this thread is a bit old I would love to second this. I am a big fan of Pathfinder and feel that Midnight would make a wonderful addition if the rules were tweaked for Paizo. I really don't like 3.5 and am eager to see this done.

I don't get people saying that either they don't like D&D3.5 or it doesn't fit the setting yet they would be happy with a Pathfinder version. You guys know that pathfinder is just a continuation of 3.5 kept alive by Paizo, don't you?

Also if 3.5 didn't do the setting justice, Midnight would not have gotten the success it received. I'm not saying this because I'm an avid fan of 3.5 (I think it is an OK system), I'm saying this because I've heard silly complaints such as 3.5 is not gritty enough for the setting yet Pathfinder is (my experience has been that Pathfinder is even more over the top)?

Regardless of systems (everyone I know uses their system of choice), what I'd really like is to see Midnight enter the digital age of tablet gaming. I'd like to see a fully hyperlinked, fully searchable, bookmarked gazetteer, covering the entirety of Eredane, all connected to an interactive map. Each entry of the gazetteer would provide an illustration of the place, the notable NPCs (and their plans), adventure hooks, notable items, history, ties to other places/groups/items/ what have you, and so on... All you'd need to prepare a gaming session at this place, with all entries (places, NPCs, dungeon plans, items, etc) hyperlinked. And all would be accessible on a tablet. Need to describe a NPC? Here's a picture for players to see! Need to describe a place? Here's a picture!

So you could combine the current technology with the old school renaissance movement, allowing you to use the setting either in a traditional (ie, you create your own adventures or use existing adventures) or as a sandbox.

Stat blocks could be easily accessed on a website for different systems of choice (but I rarely met a GM who did use stats as written), so that would leave place for the important stuff: the setting and the adventure hooks.

Other than that, the setting really deserves a complete adventure path. I think the lack of such a product was ultimately the one missing piece in the Midnight line, and the thing that made people stop playing it (that and the end of the d20 licence, for obvious commercial and IP reasons).