Assault and Stimulant Kit - is assault active for both activations?

By TallDwarf, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Yesterday when my friend was playing Action Jackson and the Red Devils, he injected them with a stimulant and then used the Assault skill. Does the assault skill work for both activations?

ex.

first activation : use assault to move 2 with first action, attack with second action

second activation : attack with first action, use assault to move 2 with second action (to try and get out of harm's way).

Thank you.

I would say it works that way. I just hope he attacked two different units with the two attacks. If he had attacked the same target twice, he would have played wrong because he didn't perform a sustained attack.

??! said:

I would say it works that way. I just hope he attacked two different units with the two attacks. If he had attacked the same target twice, he would have played wrong because he didn't perform a sustained attack.

The attacks are in two different actions though, so would not be combined as a sustained attack.

You are right, I'm sorry. I quoted the rule from the Cerberus rule book, but realized now that it has been erratad. The sentence about combining two attacks to a sustained attack is gone.

Stimulant Kit originally just gave 4 actions per activation, which would make the above action illegal. But now that it gives two independent 2-Action activations per turn, you certainly can do that.

As for Assault, I was sure I had asked that question before, but now I can't find it anywhere. At first I'd think it would last for both activations. But if that's the case, if a unit uses Assault and then later gets reactivated by "Get Moving You Bunch of Monkeys" it would still benefit from the Assault skill, which sounds a bit iffy, and even problematic to keep track of.

FFG has ruled that single use skills like assault or all-in-one only work for one ACTIVATION not one TURN, so you only get the bonus movement once.

fhaugh said:

FFG has ruled that single use skills like assault or all-in-one only work for one ACTIVATION not one TURN, so you only get the bonus movement once.

I seem to remember an official ruling on this matter. Do you have any idea where this was posted?

I only have an official e-mail answer stating that All-in-One is written incorrectly and it only works for one Activation, instead of for one Turn. Are you sure they actually answered this same issue regarding the Assault ability?

This is a very useful ruling to have, since my Axis opponent has a tendency to pester me with a drugged Stefan+Sturmpioniere combo.

Thanks for the replies. We thought it could have gone either way. As it turns out my partner chose to sustain attack with his 2nd activation anyways, but a similar situation could come up again.

I have emailed my gaming buddy fhaugh's answer.

Ok, here's a fresh official answer by Zach:

"When a unit uses the Assault skill, its movement value only doubles for its current activation."

So there you have it, Assault only benefits the activation in which it is used, not the entire turn.

Sorry if this is hijacking, but I thought it kinda pertand to the question as well. I started SSU. If I attach a commisar with assault to a unit with assault can I use assault twice?

Or would they activate the same time in the same turn. We played it that you could in fact use it twice.

Thanks in advance

Rasputindarksyde said:

Sorry if this is hijacking, but I thought it kinda pertand to the question as well. I started SSU. If I attach a commisar with assault to a unit with assault can I use assault twice?

Or would they activate the same time in the same turn. We played it that you could in fact use it twice.

Thanks in advance

Twice, you have two boxes to tick off for two uses, an action can only ever use one.

Ok, thats what I was thinking but wanted to make sure, thanks for the help.