Custom Monsters

By dkw, in Fan Creations

What? the word "dark" doesn't appear anywhere on the monster...

Ok, for some reason I mis-read that as 'Dark Youngster'. Disregard above statement. Brain not work good today.

"dark whippersnapper"! hahahaha i am rolling on the floor!

pittplayer said:

"dark whippersnapper"! hahahaha i am rolling on the floor!

Yeh durn Dark Youngsters! Geh off mah lawn! Or I'll throw my dentures at yeh! Huh? AAAAAAIIIIIEEEEE!

thecorinthian said:

Ok, for some reason I mis-read that as 'Dark Youngster'. Disregard above statement. Brain not work good today.

Well, Goat Youngster is just as (If not more) silly.

The picture you used for the Goat Youngster is really cool. Where'd you find it?

Where I find all my pictures- deviantart

I guess I was hoping for a link.

www.deviantart.com/

sorry thought you were familair with the site

Here are some I made a while ago they are not very good and we cried a little when playtesting them (it was before I got Dunwich so they are probably very similar to other creatures in the game):

Cannibal-Ghast.jpg

Spawn-from-K-n-Yan.jpg

Space-Eater.jpg

Spawn-of-Sebek.jpg

Vessel-of-Hastur.jpg

Werewolf.jpg

Worm-ridden-One.jpg

Cheers, Hal

kroen said:

www.deviantart.com/

sorry thought you were familair with the site

I think he meant a link the specific picture/artist.

Prepare yourself for the most powerful non-spawn monster in the game:

dahakae.jpg

kroen said:

Prepare yourself for the most powerful non-spawn monster in the game:

dahakae.jpg

Seems so powerful it's boring. I'm normally the first one to advocate tough monsters, but this is just lacking in character. In any case, I could just make a monster than comes out and the investigators lose. That would really be the strongest non-spawn monster in the game, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Here are doll monsters to be used in conjunction with my custom AO, Molesh. These don't have to be taken out like mask monsters, but could be if you wanted. Some of the pictures are pretty funny...

Abandoned-Doll.jpg Cymbal-Monkey.jpg Disturbing-Figure.jpg Filthy-Doll.jpg Fuzzy-Toy.jpg Grotesque-Doll.jpg Imaginary-Friend.jpg Stuffed-Bird.jpg Vile-Teddy-Bear.jpg Voracious-Doll.jpg

Sorry for the length of the post! Constructive criticism is always welcome!

the dolls are just genius! they are worthy of an expansion on their own! really nice work! perfect flavor and form. well done!

Creepy dolls! Creepy! CREEEEPY! AAAAAAAAAA!

Another voice screaming in creeped out terror at the sight of those dolls! You could probably make an entire scenario based on them. I Especially like the little comments on each one.

Is it weird that I want the Grotesque Doll?

The Message said:

Is it weird that I want the Grotesque Doll?

Yes it is very weird... you are a Weirdy... Weirdy Mic Weird Who's weird? Bing Bing you!

Speaking of odd dolls, a guy I know got an interesting birthday present from a friend of his recently. The present consisted of a stuffed toy horse, but with its head cut off and a convincingly bloody wound created on the neck. And then the friend had stiched the top half of a stuffed monkey toy on to the horse's back. That's right: the upper body of a monkey (with its beady plastic eyes coloured in red) sprouting from the spine of a decapitated horse, as a birthday present. It was like the bastard child of Demogorgon and Bride of Re-Animator. Both the guys in the story play AH, by the way.

That story makes me hungry. Mmm Horse-Monkey...

Okee dokee, here are some nasty critters for your consideration. I checked that they were actually defeatable using the Strange Eons skill table, and basing the combatant on the Gangster with maxed out fight and the Tommy Gun. The horror checks would be difficult, and would require the expenditure of clue tokens to pass. Using this method, each horseman has about a 25% chance of being defeated on the combat check with no clue tokens used, and no blessing, with the exception being Death, who only has about a 17% chance due to his immunities.

Horseman-of-Pestilence.jpg Horseman-of-War.jpg Horseman-of-Famine.jpg Horseman-of-Death.jpg

An interesting side bar, I got these pictures from a painting on Deviant Art, and if you have all of them next to eachother, they make a mural.

Constructive criticism is always welcome! I'd really like to see what others think of these nasties.

They're good - I like the fact that they can all appear 'in sequence' when one appears.

And you're right, they are defeatable, although of course very very tough. I'd be inclined to make them a bit easier. McGlen's fight track is extreme. Just drop all their toughnesses by one.

I also think you should change Pestilence's symbol to something other than crescent, because at the moment it's the only one that can't be gotten rid of by a gate closing. That way, at least combat-weak investigator groups have a sort of lifeline.

Here's the big problem though: there is far too much text on each of these. In my view, these four are easily worthy of being a herald, so make a herald. Put the 'extra doom token' ability and the 'when it moves' ability on the herald. That way, if people want to mix moderately difficult monsters into the cup and use a different herald, they still can, but if they want to get the proper set of horsemen they can do that too, and they won't end up reading size-4 text off the backs of monster markers. Also, since the monster markers themselves wouldn't strictly have special movement abilities anyway more (the abilities would be conferred by the herald), you could give them their proper border colours, which is always handy.

If you really don't want to do that, you can probably save some space on the backs of the markers by adding the boldface abilities 'manually' and letting them be on the same lines. Strange Eons always adds an extra 'line break' so usually you can save more space if you type the abilities into the rules box yourself rather than using the check-boxes and drop-down lists.

EDITED TO ADD: Aha, I just noticed there already IS a herald in the custom heralds thread! Perfect. More of the rules need to be handled by the herald and fewer need to appear on the backs of the monsters themselves.

Here are some new monsters I have been working on for my custom expansion:

Assimilated-Hunter.jpg Cthulhu-Larva.jpg Cyborg.jpg Daemon.jpg Electric-Succubus.jpg Mechanical-Being.jpg Mechanical-Monsters.jpg The-Nightmare.jpg

I'm also thinking of adding a new special ability to monsters in my custom expansion called "Lethal". It would state that if the monster reduces you to 0 stamina then instead of going to the hospital, you are devoured. This would be different than the "if you fail this check you are devoured" monsters, because you wouldn't necessarily only get one shot. For example, if the Assimilated Hunter had the Lethal special ability and you failed your first combat check against her (and you are at full stamina), you would not be devoured, giving you another turn to try to take her down.

As always, suggestions are welcome!