Custom Monsters

By dkw, in Fan Creations

dianastanley.jpg

Played with her in our ongoing series last night where she's evil. We didn't draw her from the cup, just started her out at Silver Twilight Lodge and let her roam. Proved to be a real pain in the balls.

avec said:

Does anyone have ideas for more Mask monsters? There were some good ones on the old boards, but I don't know if they still exist. I think adding Mask monsters is a great, simple way to make Nyarlathotep more interesting.

I came up with a couple for Cult Of The Golden Scarab. One of them was just a big tough crocodile (not that interesting in retrospect) but I'm quite proud of this one. It's a sort of mini-Nyarlathotep that eats clues.

3442493503_b780a4eff4_o.jpg

The evade modifier might be a bit harsh, now that I think of it.

There's an ally whateley and a monster whateley so why no monster william bain?

williambain.jpg

Flavor: William Bain drags you to his house.

kroen said:

There's an ally whateley and a monster whateley so why no monster william bain?

williambain.jpg

Flavor: William Bain drags you to his house.

This seems like it could potentially be a great boon, in regards to the Great Seal.

That's pretty good. If that was wandering around Arkham, obviously what you'd do is wait for someone to be able to afford the Great Seal (is that how that works, I forget) and then run into Bain and deliberately fail the check. He probably only ought to work once for each time he appears - so if you fail the check and get sent to the Strange High House, Bain should go back in the cup at the same time.

On the other hand, this guy is a real pain if you meet him in an OW, since he's got a hard combat check and if you fail it, you're sent back to Arkham with no chance to close the gate you went in through.

thecorinthian said:

I came up with a couple for Cult Of The Golden Scarab. One of them was just a big tough crocodile (not that interesting in retrospect) but I'm quite proud of this one. It's a sort of mini-Nyarlathotep that eats clues.

3442493503_b780a4eff4_o.jpg

The evade modifier might be a bit harsh, now that I think of it.

Cool. thanks! It's a little Shadowy Figure-esque, but I like that it approaches clue loss in a different way. And yeah, the evade modifier is a bit steep. -3 or -2 might make the Chaos Mask more balanced.

We have monsters that grant common, unique, spell, money and clues. But what about skill, ally and blessing?

carddeck1.jpg

kroen said:

We have monsters that grant common, unique, spell, money and clues. But what about skill, ally and blessing?

carddeck1.jpg

I like Kraken and Cursed Cultist, but I think Pirate is too good. Allies are absolutely brilliant - they're worth ten toughness or two gate trophies. The monster you have to kill to get one for free should be extremely difficult. I reckon it should be 'Kidnappers' rather than pirates, and making it like one of those KiY Riot monsters - 4 toughness, Overwhelming 1, and combat -2, so it represents a whole bunch of people. Then obviously the Ally is the hostage that you rescue. And obviously you shouldn't also get the Kidnappers as a trophy - they should go straight back in the cup or perhaps even back in the box.

Yeah, I guess Pirate is a little too good, but you do know he grants a random ally, right?

Heh... I'd rather see Cursed Cultist give you a curse if you defeat him. Then again, I do prefer brutality ;') Some are into S&M, some are into A&H.

If this one would have been in KiY, you would have learned to fear him:

theyellowmessengerfront.jpg theyellowmessengerbacks.jpg

Hee hee. I like that. The logical extension of this idea is that you start the game with several unique monsters in the cup, each representing a particular herald, and whichever one appears first will cause its herald to appear.

thecorinthian said:

Hee hee. I like that. The logical extension of this idea is that you start the game with several unique monsters in the cup, each representing a particular herald, and whichever one appears first will cause its herald to appear.

good thinking, although if you have really bad luck playing the game with 4 heralds is a bit overkill

carddeck1u.jpg

edit: messenger of the green flame should read "all cultists move one area towards the nearest elder sign".

kroen said:

good thinking, although if you have really bad luck playing the game with 4 heralds is a bit overkill

It should just work for the first monster of this type that you draw - so the text is "Instead of moving, if there is no herald, roll a die. On a 1, set up the such-and-such herald as you would during game setup."

A suggestion: Instead of the Yellow messenger it should be: The Phantom of Truth. In the play, it is the Phantom that Heralds the coming of the King. He should have pretty High Sanity damage, as he drives the characters insane when they realise that his palid mask... is his actual face. On a side note, the palid mask is an actual item. Perhaps as an added incentive to defeat these monsters you can draw an apropriate item? The mask in the case of the phantom, the milk incase of the Goat. Cant quite think of the others right now. Realy like those monsters btw, gotta figure out how to print this stuff up with my printer...

(Here are the versions I started working on, although looking at Kroen's they're not much different)

3467701539_9fe490dfa1_o.jpg

3468514764_4040d5e00f_o.jpg

3467701779_58b45e15ea_o.jpg

Monsters that make Heralds... weird and could be very Dangerous and also make other odd game things happen...

Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Front-Side.jpg

Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Back-Side.jpg

Random mask monster. Still toying with the idea of a monster whose stats are connected to the Terror level; this may not be the perfect form.

3495867764_6f4d0efa9a_o.jpg

Loosely based on the Conan story of the same name. The God in the Bowl is Stygian, therefore Egyptian, therefore Nyarlathotepian. Booyah.

MrsGamura said:

Monsters that make Heralds... weird and could be very Dangerous and also make other odd game things happen...

Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Front-Side.jpg

Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Back-Side.jpg

My Orangutan will eat your Spaghetti Monster for Breakfast! GOvolution!

thecorinthian said:

Random mask monster. Still toying with the idea of a monster whose stats are connected to the Terror level; this may not be the perfect form.

Loosely based on the Conan story of the same name. The God in the Bowl is Stygian, therefore Egyptian, therefore Nyarlathotepian. Booyah.

Too easy. Terror rarely rises much. Ooooo.... I didn't notice it was a mask ;') heh... Ummm... Still a bit easy, why not make it easier to evade and just have its X equal to the terror level? ::laughter:: seriously, what's the worst it could plausibly become? A -6/-6? ;'D usually terror doesn't rise to 3 in my games. Besides, a -6/-6 serpent is a great idea ;') thematically it would be as if it were going around and feeding on people as the game went on, growing larger and larger as serpents do ;'D

Avi_dreader said:

thecorinthian said:

Too easy. Terror rarely rises much. Ooooo.... I didn't notice it was a mask ;') heh... Ummm... Still a bit easy, why not make it easier to evade and just have its X equal to the terror level? ::laughter:: seriously, what's the worst it could plausibly become? A -6/-6? ;'D usually terror doesn't rise to 3 in my games. Besides, a -6/-6 serpent is a great idea ;') thematically it would be as if it were going around and feeding on people as the game went on, growing larger and larger as serpents do ;'D

I agree, just let X be the terror. Even if it hits -10, that's what you get for ignoring the terror track.

The Message said:

I agree, just let X be the terror. Even if it hits -10, that's what you get for ignoring the terror track.

Yeah, you're right. I agonized about this when I was designing it, and eventually decided to err on the side of caution and so cut the modifiers in half. In retrospect that makes it too easy. I suppose even if it did get as far as being -8/-8 or higher, it's the players' own **** fault, and even if it's utterly invincible in combat, they can still get rid of it using a Time Bomb or a Blue Watcher or whatever.

New concept to skill checks:

goatyoungster.jpg

Imagine it being used in encounters: "Being slow is of the essence. Make a Speed (+2) check . If you pass, the creature sees you! Lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina. If you fail, it doesn't notices you and loses interest." More "reversals": A lore (+X) check to act dum. A sneak (+X) check to be intentionally seen. A fight (+X) check to appear weak. A will (+X) check to avoid convincing someone. A luck (+X) check to stumble across something bad yet enlightning. The possiblities are endless.

kroen said:

New concept to skill checks:

goatyoungster.jpg

Imagine it being used in encounters: "Being slow is of the essence. Make a Speed (+2) check . If you pass, the creature sees you! Lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina. If you fail, it doesn't notices you and loses interest." More "reversals": A lore (+X) check to act dum. A sneak (+X) check to be intentionally seen. A fight (+X) check to appear weak. A will (+X) check to avoid convincing someone. A luck (+X) check to stumble across something bad yet enlightning. The possiblities are endless.

I don't know about endless... but the idea's not bad in itself. You can't put it on too many cards or it messes with the fundamental tactics of the game. Some cards in my fan expansion have this sort of skill check.

You should change the name tho'. The name 'Dark Youngster' is too funny to me. What's next? The Dark Sprog? The Dark Tyke? The Dark Whippersnapper?