Rewriting Spires of Altdorf?

By Crazy Aido, in WFRP Gamemasters

I ran SoA years ago in second ed. and thought it was a pretty fun adventure and now, looking at the wonderful social combat rules we have, I'm thinking about a significant rework to turn it into a stand-alone adventure for some advanced social characters. I'm not putting anything on paper right now because I want to finish Castle Drachenfels and make that a decent adventure and not just half decent and half finished.

Here's some of the block of ideas I've had about it so far:

1. Start the adventure off outside Altdorf and let it work it's way back. (which is obviously important from a story point of view, if you've read SoA, but basically any of the adventures from any of the books would be a good springboard.)

2. An advanced and packed "social calender", just because the PC's are in city, doesn't mean we give them a chance to put their feet up. They need to be chasing plot hooks by day and schmoozing by night, with a lot of racing through the streets and desperately trying to get across town in between.

3. Start the adventure with a loan being thrown at them, or make them go to one of a series of banks around Altdorf with a need to find some hard cash quickly, they haven't time to wait for someone's stipend to come in next month, they need cash, for clothes, lodging, booze and other schmoozing supplies NOW.

4. The clue cards from another post mentioned would be particularly handy, since there is a lot of information flying around, they'll need to be able to process it all.

5. Since we're having it stand alone, it makes much more sense to have a slaanesh cult, or vampires, or both, looking for the artefact, rather than a khorne cult, which will stick out like a sore thumb.

That's all for now, if I sit down to start writing this I'll let you know! T+S welcome!

Sounds interesting.

I agree that to make most of what 3e has to offer you often have to rebuild encounters etc. from earlier editions or other systems.

Thumbs up clue cards and "social calendar". The latter particularly if it has events they need/want (e.g., to get access to your next career you need a sponsor in guild, the guild is having a party so you want to attend etc.). In this case it's the various key NPC's in the "relationship web" that Spires lays out (my favourite part that adventure, which I have drawn on for NPC's when characters in Altdorf etc.).

I'm not sure the reason for the loan/bankers? Would they have the collateral in property or status for a loan?

I agree a Khorne cult is not the best for urban skullduggery particularly as they eschew spells etc.

For running around a city, Paizo's "chase cards" give lots of neat ideas for colourful events and challenges in a chase in "cinematic tradition". The mechanics on them are d20 but they can be adapted to WFRP easily enough and fit into a "progress track" very easily (their suggested use is actually in a quasi progress track).

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8g7o

For poking about in/with the College of Light, I have played up the Egrimm van Horstmann scandal before current Patriarch assumed power. It's part of the reason the dwarf witch hunter in spires is so convinced the Hierophants are all cultists - because they were riddled with cultists before - makes him sound much more plausible.

What?!?!?! Rewrite one of the greatest adventures of all time?

Spires of Altdorf is on my top 10 list of favorite scenarios of all time to have GMed. Other than the lame-o beginning, I had an absolute blast running the NPCs, their social circles, doing all the voices, and throwing in all the juciy, not-so-pleasant flavors of the city of Altdorf.

Just for you, here's a copy of the NPC chart to give to your players (without the lines already drawn). They get to find out the faces as they go:

gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/altdorf+npc+players+relationship+map.jpg.html

thumbnail

altdorf+npc+players+relationship+map.jpg

Now, when it came time to run forges of nuln, I burned out. I prepped that nurgle-dammed scenario each session and because of its layout and plot, it was an incredibly annoying, pain in the ass so I hurried to the end and got it over with. The first in this series was also lame (it was very Green Ronin D&D influenced) I felt, but gave a good feelign for Middenheim.

I also appreciate Valvorik's suggestion about the chase cards..there's also a random chase flow sheet on my gallery page (see above).

jh

valvorik said:

I'm not sure the reason for the loan/bankers? Would they have the collateral in property or status for a loan?

For running around a city, Paizo's "chase cards" give lots of neat ideas for colourful events and challenges in a chase in "cinematic tradition". The mechanics on them are d20 but they can be adapted to WFRP easily enough and fit into a "progress track" very easily (their suggested use is actually in a quasi progress track).

To answer the first question, because this way I can make them spend hordes of money on clothes and living it up to the necessary level to get into the right parties and still have them sh*t bricks about where it's all going at the end of the week. I was considering making the "Lord Frederick" character give them a reference that they can take to a "financial institution". Really, I just want them to be aware that trotting into the dames' ball in their chainmail just won't do, even showing up at two seperate events wearing the same outfit will get them in a heap of trouble.

Oh Jay, I love it when you rise to the bait like this, it brings joy to my soul to watch your energetic reactions.

I enjoyed running SoA as well, I must admit, but missed out on the chance to really try and use the various bits of intrigue owing to a party that consisted of several piss poor roleplayers, one social character and a plot wrecking-ball. So this time, I'd like to make it a proper viper's nest. Ah well. I must finish Drachenfels first.

We needed the graphic to go with it:

Just another note about this one: I had the temple of Morr overrun with "Sunday School" Morrite children. There's nothing scarier than kids of death ;)

jh

Hi JH

I know this is a very old thread but I wonder if you still have the player relationship map that you make reference to. I'd be very interested to take a look if you'd be so kind as to send it to me.

Cheers

Noely

Noely,

Sorry that old thing is gone. Best would be to take a scan of the "relat9ionships" and blot out the lines and the names, leaving only the faces. I'd start with the main NPC that the PC's know. I also recall adding the face of that chick who tries to off the PCs to the bottom just to ensure that they don't think that she's unimportant.

Best,

jh

I ran a reworked Spires of Altdorf for second edition roughly around its release, while any notes I have will sadly be in storage or lost on the old black industry forums it does bring back some great memories.

I somehow managed to trick my party into taking part in the bright wizards ritual, which in turn sparked the characters each beginning a personal quest to overcome the penalties suffered, this took 2-3years (real time) but included some great events including the Celestial Wizard turning to Tzeentch and designing a ritual to capture another player Characters Soul in order to restore his own, while his twin brother a shadow Wizard instead gained mentorship of a Ancient Necrach Lord (Having Brothers or kin within the party if one is a wizard was fantastic in 2nd edition due to the miscast Kin afflicted - oh the fun - Including the end of the Shadow Wizard caused by a Kin afflicted Chaos Spawn roll...) Only the Halfling was able to avoid the ritual and he was the only Character to survive the whole 4 year campaign, Duggie Tiddler the Fiddler - Initiate, and Avatar of Ranald (ex -Thief, ex - cat Burglar - ex Master Thief, ex Body Guard, ex Veteran, ex Targetier, ex Champion) who still have 3 fate points by the end of the campaign!