Suppression Question…

By haslinger, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

What's the point of suppression?

To recap - It prevents only one action - even if the unit has multiple suppression tokens?

It prevents a reaction.

It provides cover.

If the number of suppression tokens is greater than units and a hero is not attached that unit is retreating.

I know it's probably simple - but I'm having a tough time with point number one. What's the point in spending time putting multiple suppression bits on a unit of say 5 - especially if they are in hard or soft cover?

Well the point of putting lots of suppression on a unit is to keep it from reacting and from getting to use both its activations. when a unit is activated in the unit phase it first rolls to remove suppression, the more suppression markers the harder they are to remove so more marker reduce the chance the unit will make a full activation on your turn. and if you can get enough marker you can even force the unit to retreat. and a unit with both a reaction and suppression marker cannot make any actions in the unit phase.

I've had games where I piled enough suppression on a unit by end of round 2 that the unit never again got to take 2 actions in a turn, and by the end of the game was retreating off the board because of so much suppression.

For units with heroes, you *need* multiple suppression tokens if you want to limit its actions in the unit phase, as just one or two tokens will most likely get shrugged off.

felkor said:

I've had games where I piled enough suppression on a unit by end of round 2 that the unit never again got to take 2 actions in a turn, and by the end of the game was retreating off the board because of so much suppression.

For units with heroes, you *need* multiple suppression tokens if you want to limit its actions in the unit phase, as just one or two tokens will most likely get shrugged off.

Why wouldn't your opponent just use a regroup order during their command phase to remove all suppression on the unit? Just curious.

You would, generally; want to issue a suppressed squad the regroup order, you might have other priorities though or maybe you lost your command squad and don't have enough to do anything but promote a temporary command section it all depends on circumstance.

Suppression applied by a long range unit also allows one of your short range high damage units to close and attack…and the target can't perform a reaction attack/move.

ie for allies, it allows your Hammer or BBQ type squads to get close. I often pair my Hammers with my Grim Reapers…the Grim Reapers suppress and soften up the target then the Hammers move in and finish them off.