Do you want there to be Jedi in Edge of the Empire?

By cparadis10, in General Discussion

AluminiumWolf said:

It might be worth noting that I am talking about a game where everyone is playing Jedi, so you don't have to worry about the Jedi overshadowing the non-Jedi. I think FFG's Force & Destiny game will probably work like that.
But mostly I think of course people want the Empire overthrown. If people are largely happy with the Empires new direction, there doesn't need to be a rebellion to get rid of it. Indeed, such a movement would just be **** libral hippies sticking their oar in where it isn't wanted.

Aliens want the empire overthrown… Humans by and large are not affected by it.

I would never get away with a game of all jedi in this setting. Clone wars, The Old Republic, or some other sort, maybe, but doubtful. I have one or two players that express any interest in playing a Jedi, one is a munchkin (gotta make the most powerful guy, ever, every time), and the other wants the challenge of keeping on the down low. Force users, general ones, may get a bit more attention from my group, but I don't see everyone I play with opting in. I could re-distribute my players, having the jedi ones separate from the non-jedi. I would still have to explain a group of jedi running around (how they are supposed to be so rare, how they met up, etc… but that can be done. I have another player that makes soldiers, almost exclusively, and then does everything he can to make them better then the jedi, but he would never play an actual jedi.

+++++Aliens want the empire overthrown… Humans by and large are not affected by it.+++++

First they came for the Gand,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Gand.

Then they came for the Undesirables,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Undesirable.

Then they came for the Progressives,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Progressive.

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak for me.

--

Everyone is fairly quickly going to feel the oppression of the Empire, even if it seemed like a good idea at first. If they don't have the Empire go out of their way to be an ******* to them. If the PCs parents own a farm in Space Iowa, the Empire nationalise it, turn it over to a corrupt corporate governor and turn the Parents out on to the street. If they are Space Wall Street Traders have the Empire collectivise everything and institute universal healthcare that collapses the economy. The Empire are comic book villains, and they should be able to offend everyone.

--

As for getting people to play Jedi - if you can get the Jedi guys to play non-Jedi in Edge of the Empire, it seems only fair to get the non-Jedi guys to play Jedi in Force and Destiny.

Not Jedi, but alternate force user types yes.

Yes.

With the following caveat: Force Users should be Jedi scrubs or other minor force traditions, or just self taught force sensitives that do not belong to a tradition. Of course I hope Force Users do not reach the power levels seen in The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed, even in 'The Force & Destiny'. I may be an old WEG grognard (does WEG have grognards?) but I always preferred my force to be more subtle. Sure the Emperor's battle meditation could affect the entire Imperial fleet but you didn't see him doing silliness like throwing giant floating space chairs at people.

Give the force back its dignity! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Lord of Malice said:

I may be an old WEG grognard (does WEG have grognards?)

It does now. gran_risa.gif

GM Chris said:

Lord of Malice said:

I may be an old WEG grognard (does WEG have grognards?)

It does now. gran_risa.gif

SWRPGNetwork Holonet Forums.

About the only section of the RPG forum that sees any traffic these days is the D6 section, and the general sentiment of late seems to be "D6 or forget it!" gui%C3%B1o.gif

Used to be a far more active community, but a slew of technical issues that made it very difficult to post or even browse the boards has lead to all but the more dedicated board members drifting off to other pastures. But if there's anyplace that WEG D6 Star Wars has a thriving community, it's there.

No because I have seen far too much emphasis placed on them to retain their standing since they're supposed to have been nearly wiped out and any survivors should be more inclined to waiting out the empire rather than giving them a target to hunt down.

In the campaign I was in I introduced a Jedi survivor who met my character who was vehemently against becoming a Jedi eventually in a game I ran I introduced them to him so they could help him escape an Imperial blockade along with his padawan who was the daughter of the local rebel cell leader.

They took him to an obscure and unknown to anyone else system which the players had found in a previous adventure and wasn't used too much to avoid it being revealed.

Later on the system was found and raided with the padawan kidnapped and her master off in pursuit which was intended to lead them to the Tapani Sector before the Darkstryder campaign which another player was going to run.

That was before the dm in question decided to rewrite the star war history with Luke turning evil and having my character become a Jedi even though I said no.

If I do get to run this and get a campaign off the ground I'll avoid Yoda and keep the regular movie history since I don't see any reason to alter those three movies at least!

Sorry its a bit of a sore point for me, still my character is the only person to survive meeting Darth Vader mostly because he keeps running away from him!

For the record my character is still the only one with the "Villa" force ability of when scared enough can dismantle a security cell from the inside!

Thank you Blake 7!

No.

For the multitude of well thought out reasons already posted.

Non or Failed Jedi Force users should be rare and only allowable per GM approval. And, oh wait, FFG has already established that approach. Cool. They're actually making a game that I want to run.

Full on Jedi will come. In their own time. In their own book.

Patience. You must learn patience.

For now, embrace the scum and villainy. Then take on the Empire. And eventually we can bring back a New Jedi Order.

No… simply because my campaign does not use them. nuff said.

However, something to think about… these books are unfolding the way the Jedi came back into the Galaxy.

1) Nothing, outsiders living on fringe of crushing empire.

2) Open Rebellion and Galactic civil war.

3) Jedi's start returning and a new Jedi council.

No.

This is not because I don't like Jedi. I do. Very much.

I say no because, the game as presented opens you up to so many other possibilities. I'm sure a few of you have seen a little show called Firefly. You haven't? Oh… Okay.. I'll go wait while you watch it. If you have seen it, watch it again. I'll wait.

Done? Good. Now Imagine using Edge of the Empire to do that show as a game, but Jayne's a Wookie, and Inara is a Twi'lek. (Or swap that - Some people juggle geese) Yep. That right there.

Also, the Jedi we see in the prequels and Clone Wars animated show, aren't new characters. They've been doing that for quite a while. That's why they're so good. They're not more powerful, they've just been doing the force thing since they were in diapers. So let a book come out, that lets you focus on building a campaign with a Master and apprentice, from new padawan to Knight to Master.

But let me have my Wookie hired gun, with a girls name.

That Blasted Samophlange said:

But let me have my Wookie hired gun, with a girls name.

But does he have a cunning hat? The sort of hat that when a persons wears it, people on the street know he's not afraid of anything?

In all seriousness, you make some very good points about what Edge of the Empire is and in particular what it isn't .

Though I have to admit, Inara as a Twi'lek, or better yet a Zeltron… I'll be in mah bunk gran_risa.gif

Now Imagine using Edge of the Empire to do that show as a game, but Jayne's a Wookie, and Inara is a Twi'lek. (Or swap that - Some people juggle geese) Yep. That right there.

You could easily stat out the entire crew if the Serenity with Edge of the Empire careers/species. Your examples are excellent. River would certainly be the Force Sensitive Exile of the group (with the Sense power). Simon would be a Colonist/Doctor.

How else would you all stat out the crew? happy.gif

GM Chris said:

Now Imagine using Edge of the Empire to do that show as a game, but Jayne's a Wookie, and Inara is a Twi'lek. (Or swap that - Some people juggle geese) Yep. That right there.

You could easily stat out the entire crew if the Serenity with Edge of the Empire careers/species. Your examples are excellent. River would certainly be the Force Sensitive Exile of the group (with the Sense power). Simon would be a Colonist/Doctor.

Hired Gun/Merc Soldier for Mal. He's always the leader and such, and the leadership-oriented talents would have served him well as an officer of the Browncoats.

-EF

Yes… the Rebellion era is the era I've played in the least.

How can you call this game star wars without any force powers, abilities, and lightsabers…

SirUrza said:

How can you call this game star wars without any force powers, abilities, and lightsabers…

Quite easily, as there have been plenty of excellent stories set in the Star Wars universe where Force-users were minor characters, if they appeared at all, and were sent in a number of different eras.

SirUrza said:

Have you seen Chapter VIII? Force powers and abilities. Or chapter V? Lightsabers are found in there. Sounds like Star Wars to me!

-EF

EldritchFire said:

SirUrza said:

Have you seen Chapter VIII? Force powers and abilities. Or chapter V? Lightsabers are found in there. Sounds like Star Wars to me!

-EF

No actually I haven't, was just addressing the original question. :)

My Friendly Local Gaming store didn't order a single copy of the beta or kit because not enough people were interested (heck, this is the same store that didn't order any of the 1e and 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons reprints.) And since there's no PDF out in the wild or here on the store to buy.. yeah.

Odd though that there's a digital dice roller.

To the original subject: not as such, no. Maybe former/old Jedi or trainees that were kids during Order 66 that never really learned the Jedi way. But full-blown Jedi? No.

EldritchFire said:

GM Chris said:

Hired Gun/Merc Soldier for Mal. He's always the leader and such, and the leadership-oriented talents would have served him well as an officer of the Browncoats.

-EF

Jayne is a Bounty Hunter/Assassin. He doesn't seem to play well with others.

Venthrac said:

To the original subject: not as such, no. Maybe former/old Jedi or trainees that were kids during Order 66 that never really learned the Jedi way. But full-blown Jedi? No.

One of the main characters of SW Ep IV:ANH was a full blown (albeit aging) Jedi. One of the major characters of EpV:ESB was a full blown (albeit ancient) Jedi. ANH is less than 25 years past the "annihilation" of the Jedi Order. There should be a considerable number of them. Old, in hiding, and hiding most especially out in the rim.

Not to mention failed students who have incomplete training.

The Rim is where the Empire is paying the least attention… and thus the best place to hide. Ben hides in plain sight! He even still wears the uniform!

Yoda hides on a world alive with massive jungles - he hides in the life that Dagobah has, rendering him hidden.

Chris Brady said:

And I have a question for all of you who don't think Edge of Empire would have Jedi in it, or rather 2.

First, is do you think all Jedi died during Order 66?

Second: If the answer is no to the first question, where do you think they'd run to?

I don't know about you, but Tattooine and Dagobah sound very much like… The Edge Of The Empire to me.

For the record, though, I'd rather NOT have true Jedi. Not because they're over powered, but because every one thinks they are.

No, not all of the Jedi died during Order 66. Heck, some of them even survived the Purge that came afterwards. The *smart* ones settled down in some out-of-the-way place doing anything they could to look like *ANYTHING* but a Jedi. Meaning you'd never see one of them using the Force. Being spotted doing such meant a death-squad of inquisitors, bounty-hunters, and even Vader himself, coming to make sure you never made that particular mistake again.

No Jedi.

More developed/rounded Force using Yes. Jedi… Not really something I want in the core.