Online dice roller

By daddystabz, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

I have a group that wants to play the beta online and this is possibly the only way we will get to play. However, the dice of the game make this difficult due to their unique symbols. I love the dice though. Would it be possible to maybe have an online dice roller for this game? The Apple and Droid dice roller app will not aid us because most of them don't have smart phones and there is no way you can display the results online.

daddystabz said:

I have a group that wants to play the beta online and this is possibly the only way we will get to play. However, the dice of the game make this difficult due to their unique symbols. I love the dice though. Would it be possible to maybe have an online dice roller for this game? The Apple and Droid dice roller app will not aid us because most of them don't have smart phones and there is no way you can display the results online.

Webcam with Skype maybe? That's an alternative I've been considering for any online test sessions.

This is an even better idea… a web dice roller. I TOO have remote friends wanting to play and the dice make this very cumbersome.My friends do have smart phones, so the app supporting would work… but a web based one might be even better.

What features/functionality (besides being able to set-up dice and roll them) would this online die-roller have?

I've already have some ideas of my own, but all the more input would be welcome (also, any legal issues from the FFG legal team).

Doing a quick search on my local interwebs lead me right back to these very same forums, where an Unofficial Warhammer Fantasy RP dice roller was linked, and it's VERY snazzy at first glance. The auto-cancelling function is pretty swank.

What would make it even better is attaching it to a character sheet or something similar to click on a skill for a roll, whether the player personally inputs the basic rolls or whether it counts it up/upgrades for ya.

It's worth a google search, at least.

A web roller or some type of download for Star Wars would be very convenient and immensely helpful, seems a no-brainer to me. Why doesn't FFG offer one? Despite this day and age not everyone has a smartphone. I'd even pay for it.

I play a regular Friday game (currently Pathfinder), but I sometimes run a random game on Saturdays now and then using maptools ( http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool ). I just put together a quick macro using images of the dice and tables so that it outputs the dice images when they are rolled. No logic to it just build your pool and have it output the images to the chat window.

I recommend anyone who is looking for a computer program for the beta it is probably the easiest way to go because you can just load up maptool and click the macro tell it the number of dice for your dice pool and there you are.

Macro Window Image:

http://flic.kr/p/d2v2f3

Chat Window Output:

http://flic.kr/p/d2v2dQ

Oh man, that looks amazing. I have experience with MapTool but I am (mostly) code dumb. Would you be willing to make your macro downloadable?

The thing is you have to create a table for each dice using the images and the table out of the book.

You can do this pretty simply by following the instructions here (granted you need to have your own dice images):

Then you will just edit the macro text found in http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490062/SWEotE_MaptoolMacro.txt with your dice table names.

If you have any questions feel free to holler.

(I would just post the campaign file, but I am not sure how FFG would feel about that so hopefully the above will help you out).

Remember that you can just use normal dice too, and use the table to convert them over. There are tonnes of normal dice rollers - I usually use invisiblecastle.com

The issue, however, is that converting normal dice over with the table is that it becomes very time consuming to do any given roll. You have to roll Xd6+Yd8+Zd12, followed by Ad6+Bd8+Cd12, and then convert over the results in your head, make sure you tally up all the successes, failures, advantages, threats, triumphs, and despairs. Not so easy to do with the aforementioned table, especially in one's head. Visually, however, it's dead simple, we see the results, we move them about on the table (virtual or otherwise) and we go from there.

Given the right about of time, I could get something working with nbos's free tool Inspiration Pad Pro, but that doesn't have online connectivity for use in a virtual table top setting.

The other two VTT's I tend to use with my group, Screenmonkey and Roll20, currently lack the functionality to play with super-custom dice like Edge of Empire would like. Sadly, this limits my options to test with my normal gaming group, but I might be able to pull something together with some local folks. I'm going to need some more blank dice though…

Do you have Skype, mindshadow2k?

I do have skype. I used to play a lot of games online using it but migrated to google hangouts when it came out for playing online games :) .

Please contact me on there. My name is warduke5150 on Skype.

I don't usually run skype but I tossed it up for a bit if you have some questions and looked you up.

Looking for ya right now.

Do you see me online? I might show as Jonathan Baldridge.

Just shows you as offline.

I am on now. I had to relog.

Argh…not seeing you. Is there some way I can email you?

Sent you a forum message.

mindshadow2k said:

The thing is you have to create a table for each dice using the images and the table out of the book.

You can do this pretty simply by following the instructions here (granted you need to have your own dice images):

Then you will just edit the macro text found in http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490062/SWEotE_MaptoolMacro.txt with your dice table names.

If you have any questions feel free to holler.

(I would just post the campaign file, but I am not sure how FFG would feel about that so hopefully the above will help you out).

AWESOME!! Thanks for this.

I will be working on this over the next week. I actually had already started building out a Customer D6 Maptools Campaign already but was going to switch to Roll20 because it is extremely slick. This is sweet. Thanks!

My group of players really badly wants to play online but we have no way of doing the dice. If I could find a framework for MapTool or something we would be in business.

BrashFink said:

I actually had already started building out a Customer D6 Maptools

[smacks forehead] That should read CUSTOM d6 Maptools… Can you tell I have to type the word "CUSTOMER" at work? haha

Yeah I made a quick and easy dice rolling macro for d6 for a friend for running Star Wars through maptool a few years ago hehe.