Defenders of the Realm?

By ClanNatioy2, in Legends of Andor

Okay so we don't know anything rules wise about this game yet but from reading the description it sounds almost identical to Defenders of the Realm.

That was exactly the impression I got.

No it doesn't.

Defenders of the Realm doesn't have scenarios or a true adventure, the game only has one win condition which is defeat the 4 generals.

This game sounds like you have to complete the adventure to win WHILE juggling defending which gives off more of a Arkham Horror/Descent hybrid feel to me.

With the emphasis on scenarios, I was thinking a comparison to Mansions of Madness is more apt except that this is set in the fantasy genre as opposed to Lovecraftian horror. I wouldn't be surprised to see Print on Demand scenarios and eventual boxed expansions with new boards / areas of the kingdom, much like we've seen for Mansions of Madness.

I'm very interested in the game just from reading the announcement article. I love co-op games and this one sounds even better cause it's all for one rather then 1 vs 4 like Descent/Mansions of Madness. Can't wait to hear more about this game… I still need read the site page description though.

I just hear "Andor" and immediately think of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - but this appears to be unrelated.

Just by reading the description of the game, it screams out for expansion adventures. The designer of this game is a thinker; I'm sure more maps and characters are already in the works. Learn as you play games hint towards depth of gameplay. Long story short, I watching for this one to hit the shelves for sure.

All I'm saying is that if the you take the description by itself it sounds very similar to Defenders of the Realm. And Defenders of the Realm has scenarios too. In the expansion they added different ways to play.

I was super excited when I saw the announcement at first because I really enjoy fantasy adventure games but after reading the description I pretty much went oh I have this already.

I think we all want a game different enough from Defenders of the Realm so we don't feel bad for playing a dressed up clone.

From the description and what we can see of the board and the pieces it does look like Fantasy Pandemic with Defenders addition of a central city for forces to converge on and more complicated mechanics for curing diseases/boss battles. The novelty of LoA seems to be an increase in narrative. Instead of just spreading darkness or having an epidemic we also get more story at the end of every turn.

Kinda reminds me of the Majesty computer games

Has anyone seen the German rules? Looks like the Game is releases in German by KOSMOS September 21.

www.legenden-von-andor.de/

/wolf

Im going to have to take a wait and see on this one.

Although i Love Coop, Ill wait for a review or two or some game play examples to crop up before i lean either way.

I wasn't trying to say that it looks like a bad game, because we don't even know anything about it yet. I just think the description should have focused on what makes this game unique instead of just saying "Travel the land, fight monsters, go on quests, save the kingdom."

Ataraxias said:

No it doesn't.

Defenders of the Realm doesn't have scenarios or a true adventure, the game only has one win condition which is defeat the 4 generals.

This game sounds like you have to complete the adventure to win WHILE juggling defending which gives off more of a Arkham Horror/Descent hybrid feel to me.

What you say makes a lot of sense; I'm looking forward to learning more about the game. I too thought it sounded an awful lot like DotR at first, but my only concern from that point of view is whether or not it would lead to litigation.

Sluggonics said:

I just hear "Andor" and immediately think of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - but this appears to be unrelated.

I thought exactly the same. I want Trolloc's **** it. And book 14.

lol. ya that what i was reading and thinking. Pretty much DotR. But i notice counters on the board and allot more dice and junk. Hopefully for the best.

And *sigh* cardboard figures.

The kingdom also seems to be in the corner so less random possibilities of attack i imagine.

DotR had scenarios and events if you chose to d/l them or buy the hero expansions.

Also seems the heros are more stat based while DotR is skilled based. I like DotR heroes. each one played the game very differently.

also return of the heroes

Boardgamegeek has posts from some players who have played. It seems to be extremely adventure-based and from what I gathered,the adventure outcome determines whether the kingdom is saved or lost. I feel that is different from Defenders of the Realm…at least different enough for me.

The information is still not clear…but I like what I've read so far.

It reminds me of an old game I played called "Red Storm Rising" where individual scenarios dictated the outcome of the whole war.

Makes me think of Hero Quest.