new faq

By kamacausey, in CoC General Discussion

new faq for those interested

Some nice errata for Revelations. I thought there would be an updated Restricted list though.

discard's decks are, once again, useless. It was the only real innovation of the revelation cycle. :(

B_P said:

discard's decks are, once again, useless. It was the only real innovation of the revelation cycle. :(

explain please

also did anyone else notice the errata to aeirophobia(sp?) you can no longer make someone discard all their cards after they draw them :-(

kamacausey said:

B_P said:

explain please

Seconded. I am not seeing anything in the newest FAQ that destroys the mill deck type. As an enormous fan of that deck type, I am very interested in hearing why B_P feels it is no longer viable.

i think perhaps apeirophobia was the favourite card………. but i saw it as pretty dumb and am glad for the errata. having no hand to play a turn with pretty much well can end the game for you in a very non-honorable and morality free way. also very glad of the alyssa clarification ( as it destroyed a very unfair deck of mine ), for the same reason. everyone should have a chance to have cards to play in their op. phase. if not, its a very dissappointing and demoralizing way to lose a game and i could see it turning many players away from the game. with the old 'rules', i found MYSELF having no respect for a player who won games with this mechanism as winning ( or losing ) with skill is much more important to me than stripping a players hand before they even have one to use ( and so never planned to use my alyssa deck beyond a few trial runs ).

so all good news from my perspective !!

Hand discard not milling.

I think some new cards to discard hand could be nice, but not as stupid as apriophobia just after draw, pay 2 for 3-4 or even better cards against too many deck types and possibly really early. I think cards like discard X cards (up to 3) to make opponent discard X+1 cards. Or sth, idk. Something that will work if you focus on hand discard, and not just limit options to close to 0 when playing against sth with a touch of Hastur. Something slow but choking if you not do anything to fight it, not "I have cards and you lose all with one Action and cant do much about it, la la la"

.Zephyr. said:

Hand discard not milling.

Hand discard is milling. Deck discard is milling. Milling is the removal of unused potential resources (resources in the generic sense) that are available to a player, no matter where those resources may be made unavailable from.

Going to the rules forum I see what B_P is referring to. I gotta say, I am not shedding any tears over the errata for Apeirophobia.

The classic definition of 'milling' is discarding a deck. It's based on the Magic card Millstone originally from the Antiquities set. Hand discard should IMHO be more viable if balanced properly. I'm disappointed that the restricted list remained unchanged. I feel that there are at least two cards that could be removed from that list. Any guesses as to why the release schedule was accelerated but failed to include the final AP of the series?

Shubs Ya Te vo to give shub more chance against MUs peace loving conspiracy befeore regionals so it can be played?

Just guessing.

kamacausey said:

B_P said:

explain please

In coc, you draw 2 cards in your draw phase. All discards events have to be played during your operation phase. So the opponent can draw 2 cards, source, and play one or 2 cards minimum per turn. More if he has still cards in his hands. So ti doesn't matter how many cards you can discard on your turn, a brainless deck ad a brainless player can vomit each turn 2 characters per turn. The only interest in apeirophobia was to "block" one turn the draw phase of the opponent. Only if he has a character with 2 skill no more, no less and a terror icon or willpower. If not, that doesn't work. Really easy to avoid.

On the other hand, nothing is said for glimpse of the void, THE anti friend card per excellence. And nothing will be done for marcus and the loop of hell. So, I have actually no alternative against these decks.

No updates to the restricted list? Interesting.

Not sure why the designers fix Apeirophobia but let the far more problematic Glimpse of the Void and Khopesh of the Abyss stay as they are. If the designers are going down the errata-for-balance-purposes route, there are a whole slate of cards that could use serious adjustment.

marcus loops and void glimpses 'can' be quite simple to shut down. unfortunately in this game you just need to say to yourself 'ok, so perhaps i need to change a couple of my cards from my perfectly planned attack sequence to defence against some of the more dangerous tricks'.

which is what the game is all about. and sorry to get all soap box-y but:

i've recently built a deck which giggles with glee against jamburg and glimpse, while still maintaining its integrity of purpose towards winning. its a game of BALANCE, in both attack and defence, and a deck really does require multitudes of plays to get it down to a refined state.

i did a rough calculation. there are 44 different types of deck mixes ( including monos ), and each 'mix' has 2 or 3 different strategies that it can employ. therefore, until you've played against all 100+ possibilities, you'll never know just how well prepared your deck is, soooooo, playtest till it bleeds. if you cant do it locally, jump on lackey.

as for apirophobia, i've stated this elsewhere. it simply wasn't being used in only discard decks, but EVERY hastur deck, where putting an opponent 1 turn behind, in an attack oriented hastur deck, was simply game over for the recieving player, a very bad experience, and a very good way to turn away new players. so hurrah for that one.

COCLCG said:

marcus loops and void glimpses 'can' be quite simple to shut down. unfortunately in this game you just need to say to yourself 'ok, so perhaps i need to change a couple of my cards from my perfectly planned attack sequence to defence against some of the more dangerous tricks'.

Glimpse is not easy to stop. Only if you can loop you power drain. And against others decks, you ll loose.

And marcus… the only way to stop him is to stygian eye him and it's way too easy to unstygian him.

open your mind quaid…………

dont worry, with time, and experience, other options will present themselves.

B_P said:

COCLCG said:

Glimpse is not easy to stop. Only if you can loop you power drain. And against others decks, you ll loose.

And marcus… the only way to stop him is to stygian eye him and it's way too easy to unstygian him.

B_P, ne déranger pas. Les querelles avec cette personne finissent seulement dans la folie.

Glimpse is a problem, but i dont think having another card that wrecks the game is the right solution.

About Marcus - what supports are that good that playing them for 3 is that strong? Free card advantage is also nice (he and Midwife could use some shuffle 1 card from hand into deck) but he needs really scary supports to do much.

By stygnian you mean infernal obsession or do you want him to go insane?

Hellfury said:

B_P, ne déranger pas. Les querelles avec cette personne finissent seulement dans la folie.

hahaha. oh hellfury. you make me laugh. even when im trying to encourage new players you still have to stick your nose in.

.Zephyr. said:

Glimpse is a problem, but i dont think having another card that wrecks the game is the right solution.

About Marcus - what supports are that good that playing them for 3 is that strong? Free card advantage is also nice (he and Midwife could use some shuffle 1 card from hand into deck) but he needs really scary supports to do much.

By stygnian you mean infernal obsession or do you want him to go insane?

About Marcus, well ice shaft, infernal obsession, cavern of flame, etc etc.

About stygian eye and marcus, if he isn't exhausted, you don't have to ready it. he doesn't go insane, you don'tl ose the his control and you opponent cannot play another copy of marcus.

By th way, who's the new player?

sorry. i just wrongly presumed you might be with the lack of previous options you were presenting, and it was also for new players who are reading this anyway, but yes, as you've now pointed out, there are a few ways of combatting him, and plenty more beyond those.

just NICELY, i will add that the opponent can play another copy of jamburg if you control him as they are now no longer considered to have a version of that unique on the board. if stygian were to be destroyed, then yes, the returned copy would go to discard, unless you yourself used his ability and then he'd return to the opponents hand.

as for glimpse, i know of at least 5 ways to shut down / win against this deck so far, some of which aren't even focusing on this deck in particular.

but then again……. this may just be my FOOLISHNESS talking.

When you have taken control of a card,
you are considered to be that card’s
controller, but not its owner.

The limit on unique cards still applies.
You cannot gain control of or play a
unique card if you already control or
own a copy of that card in play.

Last faq 2.2

Did I miss something?

i'll just back away slowly from this conversation. perhaps you should heed hellfury's advice, or i might lead you dont the rabbit hole. i'll leave it to the rules experts to decide.

I think B_P is right, and that's how I read it, as the FAQ does say "control or own". Stygian Eye transfers control but not ownership. Really handy for dealing with perpetual annoyances like Carl Stanford.

Also note that Canopic Jar likewise prevents additional copies of a unique player from being put into play, as the card is still in play and still owned by the original player, even if it is no longer under his control. So you can put Mr. Jamburg into the Jar (have to destroy him first, of course) if you don't want to see him any more.