Fallen Grey Knights?

By antijoke_13, in Black Crusade

well Grimnar is rocking a deamon weapon he found, all he did was slap a wolf head on it and said "eh good enough"

To be fair, that's the Wolves for ya - it fits to their STFU attitude that makes them so popular with a lot of fans. What rubs me the wrong way is that the Imperium just doesn't seem to care about these constant transgressions ... "political plot armour" (in addition to the combat-based one).

Not that it's completely unjustified, but as far as I'm concerned, they've crossed that line long ago. Now they're like a running gag that only serves to remind people of how little the IP cares for consistency and sensible consequences.

Edited by Lynata

Isn't the whole point of Imperial forces that they don't use Chaotic equipment? Seems like this is a decision made in tabletop in mind so people have a reason to buy more stuff since it seems everyone can field it.

New space wolves are harbouring a Khornate daemon engine in their ranks. It's hilarious.

Oh lord jesu- err i mean Holy Emperor!

I can't even be suprised at this anymore! with the Blood angels beging BFF with the newcrons, why not khornate space wolves?

Edited by Robin Graves

To be fair, that's the Wolves for ya - it fits to their STFU attitude that makes them so popular with a lot of fans. What rubs me the wrong way is that the Imperium just doesn't seem to care about these constant transgressions ... "political plot armour" (in addition to the combat-based one).

Not that it's completely unjustified, but as far as I'm concerned, they've crossed that line long ago. Now they're like a running gag that only serves to remind people of how little the IP cares for consistency and sensible consequences.

well Grimnar is rocking a deamon weapon he found, all he did was slap a wolf head on it and said "eh good enough"

Not just the wolves tough: Marneus Calgar's fancy boxing gloves are also ex-chaos weapons.

Seems like the astartes are the same as the inquisition:

You have been told that using the tools of the enemy is heresy!

You have been told that the space marines have no such daemon tainted weapons in their arsenal.

Everything you have been told is a lie.

Edited by Robin Graves

Murderfang's making the rounds it seems. My initial reaction was, I'm told, priceless, and probably looked a lot like javcs's :D

My reaction to Murderfangs' awesomly cheesy berzerk looking headsculpt: Why doesn't it have a helmet? what's the point of being inside a dread if you just gonna stick your bare head out for every sniper to shoot you? (Evern the orks know better than that!)

Somewhere there is a chaos marine hipster going: we had berserk dreadnoughts before it was cool.

I still like Murderfang better than Santa clause-Grimnar.

Edited by Robin Graves

Isn't the whole point of Imperial forces that they don't use Chaotic equipment? Seems like this is a decision made in tabletop in mind so people have a reason to buy more stuff since it seems everyone can field it.

Oh, no. I'm fairly certain it was made with the knowledge in mind that a lot of people really love how the Space Wolves are oh-so rebellious and stubborn and proud and how they Stick It To The Man. I mean, it has become a major point of their theme.

But as I said, this isn't a new thing, the Space Wolves always gave a rat's ass about dogma and rules and logic. GW and the novel authors just keep inventing new ways with how they can parade this attitude. That's pretty much the only thing I find worthy of criticism, aside from the plot armour (which is not a SW-specific problem).

Not just the wolves tough: Marneus Calgar's fancy boxing gloves are also ex-chaos weapons.

Isn't that "just" xeno-tech? Even though they were worn by a Chaos warrior - but they don't originate there.

I still like Murderfang better than Santa clause-Grimnar.

You mean Santa Claws.

:ph34r:

Edited by Lynata

Inquisitor Graves sez: Used by chaos is of chaos! PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

Scumbag spacewolves:

Are against all forms of worship since the Emperor said there is nothing to worship.

Are against space marines with psychic powers.

Have Rune Priests with psychic powers!

Space_Wolf_Rune_Priest_Njal_Stormcaller.

Edited by Robin Graves

Hey, I don't mind them being hypocrites. Perfectly fitting for 40k, and they just don't know any better.

I just mind that they don't get called out about it. :D

Edited by Lynata

Hey, I don't mind them being hypocrites. Perfectly fitting for 40k, and they just don't know any better.

I just mind that they don't get called out about it. :D

Would you go and argue with the angry werwolf space vikings? :)

Depends on how many friends I'm allowed to bring. ;)

Depends on how many friends I'm allowed to bring. ;)

At least the Alpha legion kicked the wolves so hard they ran away and didn't show up on Terra untill the heresy was almost over. Hydra dominatus indeed!*

*This is why i like the HH novels :)

Draigo fluff... ugh. It's not fluff, it's a list of things the guy has punched.

Also Murderfang and Santa Logan are stupid, oh and the flying longships. So much sad panda.

I have always liked the idea of the GK coming straight from the genestock of the big E and having them being uber paladins. I dunno it felt good to me that way. Though having them formed from loyalist traitor marines is kinda cool too. I always felt like that made more sense for the formation of the Deathwatch.

The part where draigo wreck the Inevitable City while fighting a lord of change...

Me: Mofo! you did not. just. wreck. the INEVITABLE CITY!

The city rebuilt itself, but still..f*ck Draigo and f*ck matt ward!

I kinda liked the idea of the first GH's being loyalists from the traitor legions. Wonder if there are any Alpha's in there...*

In my twisted headcanon every chapter is an alpha legion front. Ok it's not that bad, but it's getting there :D

I still want to run a DW game where all of the players are AL infiltrators, but I tell them all separately, then sit and watch and see what happens. Sadly I have a very specific set of players that I could pull that off with anyone else would blab and screw it up, and at that point we're just playing BC ya know...

I imagine it kinda like this.

I have always liked the idea of the GK coming straight from the genestock of the big E and having them being uber paladins. I dunno it felt good to me that way. Though having them formed from loyalist traitor marines is kinda cool too.

They still all have that geneseed - only the first commanders, who went on to lead this new breed of Space Marines into battle, were recruited from other Legions due to their experience and proven loyalty.

And I actually thought those ships looked cool (they remind me of this ), with the exception that I believe it's moronic to have this be a "SW-thing", both because I doubt the Wolves' ability to invent this stuff, and because I think it should be available to all Marine Chapters and the Navy by default (which is where my headcanon places them).

Edited by Lynata

Yeah, Loyal Astartes deviating that far from each others kit is kinda stupid and is largely a result of codex creep and FAQ laziness on the part of GW.

If it's a STC pattern fit for Astartes use then it should be available across the board for loyalists. Some stuff like a Baal Predator, or certain configs of those vehicles, sure keep them chapter specific just because it adds a bit of flavor, but ENTIRE vehicles and units being unavailable... bleh.

I refuse to field Thunderwolves because I loooooathe them, and I'm sad that I can't use Centurions, so I'm looking at kitbashing those into Fenrisian Troll Hunters or some such thing and use them to represent TWC.

I will admit to not having paid attention to a lot of the BL novels because I really didn't like the way they were going fluff and retcon wise.

Also there really shouldn't be any Astartes specific patterns out there, since STC's are left over from the Dark Age of Technology at best they would be from 5000 years before the concept of an Astartes even occurred to the Big E.

But hey why pay attention to your own fluff, right GW?!

/me puts on grumpy grognard hat.

Well, technically they could just be designs reserved for Astartes use by Imperial decree - see the Landraider. Or which most other organisations do not use because they have something different and better suited to their task - see Rhino vs Chimaera, or Marine vs Navy ships.

Maybe it'd be possible to justify the existence of these ships for the Space Wolves that way. Although I have a feeling it would have to be a rather far-fetched cop-out in cases such as these, where it seems obvious that business concerns trumped setting design.

Truth be told, the more I hear about the current edition fluffwise, the more disappointed I am. I dislike the change of the Storm Troopers as well (both in visual design as well as background). Matter of preferences, though, as always.

Edited by Lynata

I don't mind the visual design so much, to me it's just a different mark of carapace armor, though I do think the Kasrkin are far and away the best iteration of the Stormtroopers. Although I did do a headswap to the Eisenkern Stormtrooper heads for mine, and then used the Scion ones for SM Scout helmets...

I would really like to see a rendition of the Naval security that is used to assault House Glaw in the Eisenhorn books though I think that would be sweet.

I think there are definitely things that were designed for Astartes, their naval assets for one, it's pretty obvious The Emprah would need something to ferry the legions around during the crusade, and despite how big stuff is in the universe, there are scale issues if there aren't Astartes specific vehicles and such, which gives us the chicken and the egg problem.

I want my space wolves to get Leman Russ tanks again. :/

Edited by CaptainStabby

Actually chapters don't like to share. Blood angels won't give up the data for their enhanced engines, and good luck trying to get the dark angles to part with anything regarding the Nephilim flyer, etc.

The wolves flying what's basically a giant armored wolf head/ beach landing craft with frost rays on is kinda typical for 40k.

The only reason the stormwing got retconned into being for all chapters is because GW doesn't want to put out a thunderhawk kit, (well forge world does but that doesn't really count)

I want my space wolves to get Leman Russ tanks again. :/

Ugh. them getting acces to battlecanons just because the tanks are named after their primarch...

Ultramarine: "Wait, why do you guys have imperial guard tanks?"

Space wolf: "It's named after our primarch so we get to use it!" *grins*

Ultramarine: "You know that's not in the codex, right?"

Space wolf: " We have no need for your codex, because it doesn't have our primarch's name on it."

Ultramarine: "Wh-wh-what?"

Space wolf: "You know what else we have that's not in the codex? Beer! We got ale!"

Ultramarine: "Ugh that's it, I'm gonna go be friends with the Dark Angels now."

I think the "problem" that some people may see is less whether or not a Marine Chapter may part with something, but rather how they got their hands on it in the first place. After all, your off-the-mill Fortress Monastery is hardly a bastion of science and research, and when the Marines can't even get their own creation process right, I struggle to think just how in the Eye of Terror they could come up with completely new machinery.

The closest they might have to scientists would be the Techmarines, and (a) their job is maintenance rather than R&D, (b) apparently even said maintenance is more ritual than actual understanding, and © they have dual loyalties, which means the Adeptus Mechanicus would know.

I suppose they could strike some sort of deal with the AdMech so that the Techpriests help a Chapter develop an exclusive vehicle in return for some favour, just like it was the case with the Ecclesiarchy's Exorcist deal, but even then the sources should at least hint at such an understanding, and it should only be used once or twice rather than becoming a new standard.

(also, the AdMech doesn't really like to stick to these "exclusive" deals, as can be seen by the Imperial Guard's Hellhound tank, but then again .. who is to know whether or not the AdMech has used "stolen" Marine tech elsewhere already? ;) )

All in all, it's just poorly justified in the background, and it does not really fit to the theme of the Space Marines as reclusive warrior-monks who bother only with war, or with training for one. The only reason these special vehicles exist at all was to make the individual Chapters even more unique and special, because who cares about uniformity (and the Space Wolves obviously were not special and unique enough already), and to sell a couple new models.

and despite how big stuff is in the universe, there are scale issues if there aren't Astartes specific vehicles and such, which gives us the chicken and the egg problem.

Makes you wonder how a vehicle designed for civilian human colonists became their dedicated troop transport, right? ;)

Edited by Lynata

We also have Santa. Santa is not a codex approve unit. But hey, who doesn't love presents!!

Maybe they were designed to carry 20 colonists? Hell they used to be able to carry Terminators.

Edited by CaptainStabby

My idea would be that the chapter exclusive tech are remnants from legion exclusive tech dating all the way back to pre heresy times. Each legion had their own prefered fighting style wich would lead to them having "personalised" vehicles that suit their fighting style. (Iron warriors armor-wall rhino's, Raven Guard stealth armor, etc)

Also space marines tend to board quite a lot of space hulks, usualy for the sole reason of reclaiming archeo tech. Some chpaters will glady send everything they find to Mars, but others will keep some choise bit's of tech for themselves.