Blinded on the vehicle Damage Table - Question

By the_zombie, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

Hello all!

Been really loving the whole Dust Warfare experience. Of course, I just started this weekend - so I have questions that will pop up from time to time.

Page 44 - Blinded: Book says "WHEN taking a sustained attack action, the vehicle cannot reroll combat dice for the rest of the game."

Okay, fine. But what if I have not done anything with my Firball heavy walker in the Command Phase. Now in the Unit Phase, I want to (or 'need to' in order to 'live') to shoot a the enemy/enemies right in front of me within range of all my weapons. I know NORMALLY, you cannot not take 2 attack actions. But in this case, while your vehicle is BLINDED, can you opt NOT to do a sustained attack (because the BLINED rules says " when taking a sustained attack") and actually take two (2) separate shots (without any reroll)? Or are you scr*wed and only get the one shot in the unit phase (kind of harsh for the lowest damage level on the chart - but it is only a (fun) game, so I will abide by whatever the game creators intended.)

Thanks is advance for any info!

Addendum:

Because knowing (going into the Unit Phase) I don’t get the re-roll, why on earth would I even do a sustained attack??? If I don’t need to move my model at all to hit every threatening unit within my 90 degrees, why would I want to ‘waste’ an action on moving? I want to shoot. As much as possible. So the question is, does Blinded actually removed that second action if you have no need to move?

Thanks!!!!!

You cannot do a sustained attack. However, don't forget that armor can overrun units in its path and force suppression. If it happens to be on fire when doing an overrun, it can also do damage. Considering that the range for the fireball's napalm thrower is 12" measured from the center of its base, units are likely to be in range for an overrun. A level 7 tank has a good chance of suppressing, or even forcing a retreat. I say flame them, then a move action to overrun and suppress.

Thanks for the super fast reply!

At the risk of sounding like a whiny six year old kid – I hear what you are saying. But your very first sentence does not answer my question. I know I cannot do a sustained attack (benefit of re-rolls). So I simply do not want to do a ‘sustained attack’. If I don’t need/want to move in my unit phase, is Blinded telling me/forcing me to only get one action in place of two (1 attack and second action wasted because it is not tactically beneficial for me to move).

Sorry to be a pest/child. Just wondering what the rule book allows for. I will happily follow what is intended by the game creators. But this has come up twice now (in one weekend – both in a game changing situation), so I am looking for some clarity.

“Peace, um, er…War and Love”

If you think about it, nobody would do a sustained attack action if you could simply attack twice. The percentage to hit would be greater being that you would be rolling double the dice, not just misses. Blinded is a way to show your tank has taken damage and is hindered. If you do not want to move, you are simply limited to the one attack action.

Or do your best to give it an order in the command phase if you want to risk the reaction token.

I do understand your confusion also. It should simply say that you cannot take a sustained attack action on the chart for blinded.

Awesome. Thanks bro. That is what I was looking for. Again, I'm not fighting for one way or the other. I just wanted to know how the darn rule suppose to work!

Vehicle takes damage, and therefore only shoots once to reflect this damage. Got it. Sounds fair. My friends and I can now play accordingly.

Thanks for your help!

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Actually, the rule should probably be printed as (for dummies like me):

Models suffering from Blinded can only ever make a single attack action per phase regardless of the number of actions they have available to use. Hence, they can only ever shoot once per Unit phase, and never benefit from the Sustained Attack option.

But that’s just me…

It's worded the way it is for future-proofing, as there will be heroes with the pilot ability who will gain other benefits from a Sustained Attacks action coming out very soon. Rules as Written, you may still make a Sustained Attack, you just can't reroll misses.

So, when Nikolai comes along (SSU Heroes Unit Box - Coming soon) he'll be able to use the, "Take Aim" special ability which will allow him to do a Sustained Attack in his Walker and invert the dice where misses are hits and hits are misses, even when his Walker is blinded. The rule was worded the way it is on purpose. There are a few other rules in the game which take into account where it is headed overall. Andy & Mack developed a framework which takes into account the next two years of releases according to interview responses.

Vert cool! Thanks for the insight Shadow.

There are Artillery weapons in game and they needed Sustained Attacks for Indirect Fire. So if Blinded, A-weapons still can fire indirectly anyway

A mechanic in a command squad can also repair. It will remove one status from the damage chart. The blind can see again!

Zinger5656 said:

A mechanic in a command squad can also repair. It will remove one status from the damage chart. The blind can see again!

Just for clarification, You can do one or the other (medic or mechanic), not both, in the same action.

I´m sorry, but can´t you give an order to the vehicle in the Command Phase to shoot, and then make it shoot again in the Unit Phase? That way you can shoot twice, or am I missing something here?

This might sound condescending, but it's not, I promise! >< Isn't your question answered under "Unit Phase; Actions," on page 33 of the Core Rule book? Under "Actions" it reads: "A unit may complete its actions in any order it wishes; It can Move and then Attack, or Attack and then Move, take no actions or only one action, or take a double action. " So you can never choose to take two Move actions, or two Attack actions in the Unite phase.

Drag0n said:

There are Artillery weapons in game and they needed Sustained Attacks for Indirect Fire. So if Blinded, A-weapons still can fire indirectly anyway

That's soooo true, I never thought of that, good choice of wording on their part then!

Yes to my knowledge, there's nothing stopping you from taking an Attack Order in the Command Phase, and then an Attack action in the Unit phase.

th3_greench said:

Yes to my knowledge, there's nothing stopping you from taking an Attack Order in the Command Phase, and then an Attack action in the Unit phase.

You can give an order in the Command Phase to attack, then attack in the Unit Phase.

The problem with the Command Phase attack is that it nets you a reaction marker that makes you vulnerable to Suppression and removes the option of a Sustained Attack or March Move in the Unit Phase.