Favorite Starfight

By Hrathen, in X-Wing

as long as the scale looks right i wont be bothered about it being a few mm out, the main factor is making sure the cockpits/pilots are similar sized and then go from there as they are the only real constant.

"Well-documented??!" You should see how many squabbles there have been on Starship Modeler about the size of the Falcon . Don't even bring it up! LOL

Of the ships previewed so far the TIE Advanced is my favourite (yes in the UK we put a 'U' in that word thanks spell check). Not sure who the other named pilot might think he is but only Lord Vader himself will be allowed in mine.

Though I have to say tip-top all time SW ship is Slave 1. Fingers are crossed that it will be a future release as some point. Perhaps as a special twin pack release with the Falcon..?

It was hinted in the demo video from last gencon that both the falcon and slave 1 would be done. Who knows what's happened with that over the last year though.

tiepilot1138 said:

It was hinted in the demo video from last gencon that both the falcon and slave 1 would be done. Who knows what's happened with that over the last year though.

Quoting from the X-Wing Miniatures Core Rulebook that has just been available:

" Rest assured, we’re far from finished. As we expand the X-Wing miniatures game, you can expect to see additional amazing models released in the future,
including some large surprises.
"

I suppose that's a hint about the future release of ships larger than starfighters, like freighters, shuttles and gunboats.

Agrivar said:

" …including some large surprises. "

…So what sort of size would your standard Star Destroyer end up as?

Nalydd said:

Agrivar said:

i think somebody has already worked this out somewhere at about 15 feet long

I see…. So about the entire length of my game room (read spare room currently full of boxes), the attached cupboard and beyond. Good job these minis are plastic, imagine the cost of that in lead! ;-)

A Blockade Runner is only about 55cm long…

TIE Defender. What can I say? I played the old Tie Fighter Collector's Edition PC game, and just fell in love with the Defender.

Faster and more maneuverable than an X-Wing, shields, four laser cannons, two ion cannons, AND a warhead launcher.

Not to mention a hyperdrive.

It is the most advanced fighter of its day, and a blast to fly.

After that, the TIE Interceptor. The speed, the firepower, and the lack of shields forcing you to be a better pilot.

Nalydd said:

Agrivar said:

About 19.5 ft or 6m

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Nalydd said:

Agrivar said:

About 19.5 ft or 6m

That's a little bigger than the standard playing area… gran_risa.gif

Meh. It'll hang over a little bit…

;)

tiepilot1138 said:

A Blockade Runner is only about 55cm long…

It could be represented with a very large cardboard token placed in the middle of the game map. It seems that the core box comes with a cardboard token representing a rebel shuttle, so they could use similar tokens to represent ships bigger than the Falcon or Slave, like rebel transports, medium freighters, imperial system patrol ships, and any other ship whose size ranges between 50 and 150 meters (too big for a mini, but doable in a cardboard token).

Reminds me of my X-Wing vs TIE Fighter days… I always preferred the A-Wing for general dog fights, but the Y-Wing was surprisingly useful at times.

dbmeboy said:

Reminds me of my X-Wing vs TIE Fighter days… I always preferred the A-Wing for general dog fights, but the Y-Wing was surprisingly useful at times.

I still have a great swelling of Imperial Pride from my TIE Fighter Collector's CD-Rom days.

So now that we have seen the maneuver dials of the X-wing and TIE Fighter, want to bet that A-wings and TIE Interceptors will come with a 6 straight template and maybe some bank or turn 4 templates? I can't imagine an A-wing or TIE interceptor being less that speed 6. I can't wait for more ships.
Thanks,
Duncan

vadersson said:

So now that we have seen the maneuver dials of the X-wing and TIE Fighter, want to bet that A-wings and TIE Interceptors will come with a 6 straight template and maybe some bank or turn 4 templates? I can't imagine an A-wing or TIE interceptor being less that speed 6. I can't wait for more ships.
Thanks,
Duncan

Maybe, but the packaging would have to be pretty big. That's at least 6 ship lenghts, and the expansion packaging doesn't seem that big. Maybe there will be a rule to just use two 3's.

unless they come in a big box expansion with extra templates, otherwise i imagine the extra speed will be represented in some other way, such as making 2 moves?

I'd imagine the templates for all planned moves should all be in the core rules, maybe all the way up to banking/turning at speed 4 or 5 and the interceptor/A-wing have a higher level of green maneuvers available when they are eventually released. Unless the currently previewed packaging could accommodate huge corner templates also. My understanding is that this class is faster, not necessarily more maneuverable.

Perhaps speed 5 or 6 is the maximum limit for this game in a straight line and anything else must be at a slower speed. There is already a significant difference between X-wing and TIE Green maneuvers to reflect the 'nimble' TIE fighter vs powerful X-wing.