Disembarking - How to Measure 3"

By tapierscheisse, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

Hi,

another question was raised during last evenings game.

P. 54 CARRY CAPACITY: "… To Disembark, the unit is placed, so that every miniature is within 3" of the TRANSPORT…"

When it comes to range and Line of Sight (P 48) " Heavy Walkers treat their hull as the miniature's base. The hull includes the weapon mountings, legs, feet, and the central body. It does not include the barrels of weapons…."

Rules as written, this means, I can disembark from a heavy walker within 3" of the barrels. giving me a huge advantage after an Air Drop (within flamer range, especailly with the large barrelled punisher).

Rules as intended: Disembarking untis must be places within 3" of the BASE.

Do I see this right, or am I missing something?

I would definitely agree with you on what is intended by the rules and I would play it that way. I'm not sure if this is explicit in the rules, but I believe distances are always to be measured from base to base.

Rules as Written, First Sentence under the heading of, "Range and Line of Sight" (not just LoS, but Range as well), states…

"Heavy walkers treat their hull as the miniature's base."

So, even RaW, you cannot use gun barrels for measuring Disembakation Range.

felkor said:

I would definitely agree with you on what is intended by the rules and I would play it that way. I'm not sure if this is explicit in the rules, but I believe distances are always to be measured from base to base.

You've got it right Felkor, it is explicit. Page 18, Measuring rule reads…

"When measuring distance between two miniatures (such as during an Attack action, see page 40), players measure from the base as well. Players measure from the closest point on the attacking miniature's base to the closest point on the target miniature's base."

Combined with the rule from my post above, you must , rules as written, place the disembarked squad within 3" of the Heavy Walker's hull.

What hes failing to see is that the barrels are not part of the GUN MOUNT. Dont have the book in front of me for the page number.

Jonez34 said:

What hes failing to see is that the barrels are not part of the GUN MOUNT. Dont have the book in front of me for the page number.

Its page 48, under the Range and Line of Sight, next two sentences after the,"Heavy walkers treat their hull as the miniature's base." sentence I quoted 3-4 posts up…

"The hull includes the weapon mountings, legs, feet, and central body. It does not include the barrels of weapons or antenna that may extend out from the miniature."

The OP gave this quote to and still mentioned measuring from the barrels, not sure what's going on here :?

Major Mishap said:

The OP gave this quote to and still mentioned measuring from the barrels, not sure what's going on here :?

The OP was quoting it as though the rule was only relevant to LoS, missing the fact it is included in the Range Measurement rules as well is my guess.