Reaction to Attack orders

By Maverickg, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the reaction mechanic. Reacting to attack orders has come up a couple of times in key situations and when I read it, I understand it one way, but at the table I get confused.

The rule reads:

"An enemy unit declares an Attack action that includes that includes the unit as a target."

My question is:

If Axis unit A activates and declares an Attack order on Allied unit X only, and Allied unit Y is within 12" of unit A and is not suppressed or has a reaction token, then can unit Y react to unit A even though he is not a target of the attack?

I know my example sounds a little convoluted, but I wanted to cover all the bases.

No because only the targetted unit may perform a reaction to an attack action.

DoomOnYou72 said:

agree

mariettabrit said:

DoomOnYou72 said:

agree

This.

And I think it will help if you include the last sentence of the first paragraph of the Reaction Rule along with both bullet points, not just the first part of the second one, which you quoted on Page 34…

"There are two circumstances in which a unit can react:

• Enemy miniatures make a Move action that begins or ends within 12” of any miniature in the unit.

• An enemy unit declares an Attack action that includes the unit as a target. The unit may only react if at least one miniature in the attacking unit is within 12” of one of the unit's miniatures."

It's clear that a unit which is not targeted cannot react to an Attack action.

The other night I played a game with a guy that was confused about this also. I had Lara and some H.Laser grens with no reaction marker in a bldg. He had some H.Recon, and Battle Grens both within 12" of me. If he chose to move or attack them I would have gotten a reaction. It is interesting to know that an attack can only be reacted to by the target of the attack. I think in games I've had with other players the exact opposite has happened. I'll have to watch for that in the future. Thanks for the clarification.