Dark Heresy careers as Specializations (PEACH)

By Plushy, in Only War Beta

Solid stuff, Mercucio. Thanks for the input! To be completely honest, a lot of the things you pointed out were me just being retarded.

How are these revisions?

Adept (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Intelligence
Starting Aptitudes: Intelligence, Fellowship, Perception, Agility, Knowledge, Defence
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (War) or Common Lore (Tech), Logic, Scholastic Lore (Legend), Scholastic Lore (Chymistry)
Starting Talents: Polyglot, Total Recall, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile or Las, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Stub Revolver and 1 clip of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Flak Vest, common-craftsmanship Staff, robes, writing kit, chrono, data-slate
Starting Wounds: 6+1d5

Arbitrator (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Toughness
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Toughness, Fellowship, Intelligence, Leadership, Defense
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites), Common Lore (Imperium), Inquiry, Scrutiny
Starting Talents: Jaded or Takedown, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Shock, Low-Tech,)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Shotgun (pump action) and 2 clips of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Shock Maul (counts as a Power Maul on Low setting) or Riot Shield (4 AP to Body and the held arm, +15 to Parry,) Common-craftsmanship Light Carapace armour
Starting Wounds: 8+1d5

Assassin (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Agility, Perception, Finesse, Fieldcraft
Starting Skills: Awareness, Dodge, Acrobatics or Stealth
Starting Talents: Deadeye Shot or Sure Strike, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Training (Las, Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Long-las and 4 clips of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Mono-Sword, Common-craftsmanship Mono-Knife or Common-craftsmanship Laspistol and 2 clips of ammunition, 2 Smoke Grenades, bodyglove

Scum (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Fellowship
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Fellowship, Perception, Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Social
Starting Skills: Charm or Deceive or Intimidate, Dodge, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Starting Talents: Technical Knock or Quick Draw, Light Sleeper, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Autogun and 1 clip of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Shotgun (pump action) and 3 clips of ammunition, 1 Frag Grenade, Good-craftsmanship Autopistol and 1 clip ammunition or knife, street clothes

I never thought to make a Guardsman!

Guardsman (600xp)

Characteristic Bonus: +5 BS
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Finesse, Defense
Starting Skills: Awareness. Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Common Lore (War), Dodge or Parry
Starting Talents: Rapid Reload or Light Sleeper, Leap Up or Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Skill (Las, Solid Projectile, Low-tech)
Starting Equipment: M36 Lasgun or Autogun, 4 clips of ammunition for starting firearm, Laspistol or Stub Revolver and 2 clips of ammunition for sidearm, mono-knife, 2 frag grenades, Guard Flak armour, micro-bead
Starting Wounds: 9+1d5

I can't decide if he should have Leadership or something…

General Observation
You had multiple paths you could follow in DH once you hit Rank 4-5. The best I can think of offer something similar is to give some 'or' options for Starting Aptitudes. You are welcome to keep things they way you are, but I feel that it gives both the designer and player more flexibility when character for any given Career.

Adept [15]
Starting Aptitudes : I'd suggest the option of Agility or Ballistic Skill.
Skills : I would change Common Lore (Tech or War) to Common Lore (any one). After all the Adept is even more likely to have Common Lore (Administratum) than either of the two other options. I merge both Scholastic Lores in a single Scholastic Lore (Any) option. That would still leave you with one new skill to choose. Not sure what off the top of my head.
Starting Talents : I'd suggest Chem Geld or Unremarkable, Polyglot or Total Recall. Weapon Trainings are fine.
Starting Wounds : Still at 6? Given the breakdown above I'd have assumed 7.

Arbitrator [17]
Starting Aptitudes : I'd dump Leadership and pick something new. Not sure what off the top of my head, Probably Fielcraft, Finesse, or Offense. Rest looks good.
Starting Skills : Looks fine.
Starting Talents : Looks fine.
Starting Wounds : Here's where the beauty of fudging it comes in. I'd switch skills to Inquiry OR Scrutiny, and tack on 2 wounds to bring him to 17.

Assassin [17]
Starting Aptitudes : Fieldcraft and Perception are unnecessary. I'd ditch Perception and give the option of Intelligence or Willpower. Likewise I would give a choice between Finesse and Offense.
Starting Skills : Looks fine.
Starting Talents : Looks fine.
Starting Wounds : Looks fine.

Guardsman [18]
Starting Aptitudes : Looks good.
Starting Skills : I'd change it to Common Lore (Imperial Guard) or Common Lore (War)
Starting Talents : Looks good, though I am tempted to sacrifice one of the non-Weapon Trainings, see below.
Starting Wounds : Right now you're at 18. I'd go with dropping a skill and a talent to go 10W and 17 points. Even if you want to stay at 18 I'd dump one skill or talent to push to 10W.

Scum [16]
Starting Aptitudes : Again, dump Perception, Add in Intelligence or Will. Also, you should have a choice between Social or Finesse.
Starting Skills : Looks fine, though I really do not see Sleight of Hand as a universal skill amongst Scum.
Starting Talents : Every Scum has Light Sleeper? I'd offer a second option here.
Starting Wounds : Here's where the beauty of fudging it comes in. I'd switch skills to Inquiry OR Scrutiny, and tack on 2 wounds to bring him to 17.

Thread necromancy, activate! I'm not happy with the Adept, Arbitrator, Scum, Cleric, or Commissar…

Adept (600xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Intelligence, Ballistics Skill, Perception, Agility, Knowledge, Social
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), three other Common Lore skills, one Scholastic Lore skill, one Linguistics skill, one Forbidden Lore skill, Dodge
Starting Talents: Polyglot or Unremarkable Total Recall, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Stub Revolver and 2 magazines of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Staff, robes, writing kit, chrono, data-slate
Starting Wounds: 6+1d5

Character ideas: Administratum Clerk, Educated Noble, Arbites Verispex Team Member

Arbitrator (600xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Toughness, Fellowship, Intelligence, Leadership, Defense
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites), Common Lore (Imperium), Inquiry or Operate (Ground), Scrutiny
Starting Talents: Jaded or Takedown, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Shock, Low-Tech,)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Combat Shotgun and 2 magazines of ammo, Common-craftsmanship Mono-Truncheon, Common-craftsmanship Shield, Common-craftsmanship Flak Coat

Character ideas: Arbites Enforcer, Bounty Hunter

Assassin (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Agility, Perception, Finesse or Offence, Fieldcraft
Starting Skills: Acrobatics or Parry, Awareness, Dodge, Stealth
Starting Talents: Ambidextrous, Deadeye Shot or Sure Strike, Lightning Reflexes or Quick Draw, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Sniper Rifle and 2 magazines of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Mono-Sword, Common-craftsmanship Mono-Knife, 2 Smoke Grenades
Starting Wounds: 7+1d5

Character ideas: Death Cult Assassin, Imperial Guard Sniper/Commando

Scum (600xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Fellowship, Perception, Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Social
Starting Skills: Charm or Intimidate, Deceive, Dodge, Sleight of Hand, Stealth or Acrobatics
Starting Talents: Technical Knock or Quick Draw or Peer (Underworld), Light Sleeper, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Hand Cannon or Common-craftsmanship Autopistol, 2 magazine of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Knife, Common-craftsmanship Heavy Leathers

Character ideas: Hive Ganger, Smuggler, Arbites Infiltrator

Guardsman (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 BS
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Finesse, Defense
Starting Skills: Awareness, Athletics, Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Common Lore (War), Dodge or Parry
Starting Talents: Rapid Reload or Light Sleeper, Leap Up or Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Training (Las, Solid Projectile, Low-tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship M36 Lasgun or Common-craftsmanship Autogun, 2 magazines of ammunition for starting firearm, Common-craftsmanship Laspistol or Common-craftsmanship Stub Revolver, 2 magazines of ammunition for sidearm, Common-craftsmanship Guard Flak Armour, Common-craftsmanship Sword

Character ideas: Imperial Guardsman, Mercenary

Mechanicus Enginseer (300xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Intelligence, Knowledge, Weapon Skill, Tech, Toughness,
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Common Lore (Tech), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) or Logic or Medicae, Tech-Use
Starting Talents: Chem Geld or Technical Knock, Mechadendrite Use (Weapon or Utility), Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech)
Starting Traits: Mechanicus Implants.
Starting Equipment: One Common-craftsmanship Cybernetics of your choice of Rare or lower rarity, one Utility or Ballistic Mechadendrite of choice, Common-craftsmanship Laspistol and 2 magazines of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Staff, robes, data slate, combi-tool

Character ideas:

Sanctioned Psyker (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Willpower
Starting Aptitudes: Psyker, Knowledge, Willpower, Intelligence, Perception, Strength
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica), Forbidden Lore (Psykers), Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Cryptology)
Starting Talents: Heightened Senses (Hearing), Chem Geld or Disturbing Voice or Jaded, up to 400xp worth of Psychic Powers
Starting Traits: Psy Rating 2, 1d5 Corruption or Insanity Points
Starting Equipment: Best-craftsmanship Staff, Common-craftsmanship Laspistol and 2 magazines of ammunition, Psy Focus, robes

Character ideas: Astropath,

Ministorum Cleric (300xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Leadership, Offence, Fellowship, Willpower, Weapon Skill, Strength
Starting Skills: Charm or Intimidate, Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy), Forbidden Lore (Heresy), Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)
Starting Talents: Hatred (Heretics or Mutants or Xenos or Psykers), Unshakeable Faith, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Flame or Chain, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Flamer and 2 magazines of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Chainsword, Common-craftsmanship Shotgun and 2 magazines of ammunition, robes, book of scripture

Character ideas: Confessor, Banisher, Imperial Guard Chaplain

Commissar (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Fel
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Fellowship, Willpower, Perception, Leadership, Finesse
Starting Skills: Command or Intimidate, Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Common Lore (War), Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)
Starting Talents: Air of Authority, Chem Geld or Unshakeable Faith, Weapon Training (Bolt, Chain, Las or Solid Projectile, Low-tech)
Starting Equipment: Bolt Pistol and 2 magazines of ammunition, Chainsword, Flak Coat, Commissar’s Uniform

Are you going to update the google docs?

Well I had the urge to do the same as the thread opener and read this thread and the suggestions. I just tried my version of the eight basic carriers of Dark Heresy. I hope it is not impolite to use this thread for this, but I could use some feedback. I also tried to incorporate the different paths of dark heresy with the possibility to choose some aptitudes like Mercucio suggested and increased the carriers to seven aptitudes because I would stick to the original character creation of dark heresy and would not use a adaption for the regiment creation systems. Because of this I felt I should counter the lost of one aptitude.

Adept
Starting Aptitudes: Intelligence, Knowledge, Perception, Social, Willpower, Fieldcraft or Finesse, Leadership or Psyker
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (Any one), Logic or Trade (Remembrancer) or Trade (Scrimshawer), Scholastic Lore (Legend), Scholastic Lore (Any one)
Starting Talents: Polyglot or Total Recall or Unremarkable, Weapon Training (Low-Tech, SP or Las)
Starting Wounds: 1d5+7

Arbitrator
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Defence, Fellowship, Intelligence, Perception, Toughness, Social or Offence
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites), Common Lore (Imperium), Inquiry
Starting Talents: Quick Draw or Takedown, Weapon Training (Primitiv, SP)
Starting Wounds: 1d5+9

Assassin
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Agility
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Finesse, Intelligence, Weapon Skill, Social or Offence
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Awareness, Dodge, Securtiy or Deceive, Stealth
Starting Talents: Weapon Training (Low-Tech, Las, SP), Catfall or Deadeye Shot or Sure Strike
Starting Wounds: 1d5+7

Cleric
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Leadership, Social, Weapon Skill, Willpower, Strength or Knowledge
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Charm, Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)
Starting Talents: Air of Authority or Chem Geld or Hatred (Any), Unshakeable Faith,Weapon Training (Low-Tech, SP)
Starting Wounds: 1d5+8

Guardsman
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Ballistic Skill
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Finesse, Strength, Toughness, Weapon Skill, Fellowship or Agility or Offence
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Athletics, Operate (Ground Vehicles) or Survival
Starting Talents: Weapon Training (Low-Tech, SP, Las)
Starting Wounds: 1d5+9

Sanctioned Psyker
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Willpower
Starting Aptitudes: Intelligence, Knowledge, Perception, Psyker, Willpower, Fieldcraft or Finesse
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica), Psyniscience, Forbidden Lore (Psyker)
Starting Talents: Psi-Rating 1, Psi-Powers up to 200xp, Weapon Training (Low-Tech, SP or Las)

Scum
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Fieldcraft, Intelligence, Weapon Skill, Social or Finesse
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Awareness, Common Lore (Imperium), Charm or Deceive, Dodge
Starting Talents: Ambidexterous or Peer (Underworld) or Unremarkable, Weapon Training (Low-Tech, SP)

Tech-priest
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Knowledge, Intelligence, Tech, Toughness, Weapon Skill, Willpower or Fieldcraft
Starting Skills: Linguistic (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Common Lore (Tech), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Tech-Use
Starting Talents: Chem Geld or Technical Knock,Weapon Training (Low-Tech, Las)

I'm too hurried to take a good look at these, but they seem alright. The lack of gear is an odd choice, though.

I have a thread up on the main Only War forums with a link to my Google Drive folder for my finished product.

Thanks for the respond. I noticed your topic right after I posted in this one, but it looks also good and you already invested a lot more time in this project. I hope I have the time to look at it more closely, because your work is good and it is nice to have something to compare to. The reason I have no gear at the moment is because I am not sure if I want to adapt the normal starting gear from Dark Heresy or make something new.