Dark Heresy careers as Specializations (PEACH)

By Plushy, in Only War Beta

I'm not sure off of the top of my head. Maybe write a specific talent or something to that effect. I'll take a look at it later.

In Dark Heresy they always seemed more ranged then melee. While Arbitrators did get some melee talents(most notable take down). BS was a cheap advance, while WS was moderate and AGI and STR(both rather useful to melee) were expensive.

Still frowning at my Cell Creation chart. Here's some Home Worlds and Origins instead.

Imperial World
Characteristics: +3 Willpower, +3 to one other
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Creed)
Talents: Hatred (Mutant)
Blessed Ignorance: -5 to all Forbidden Lore tests
Wounds: Generate Wounds normally.

Hive World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Agility, Fellowship, Perception
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium), Deceive
Talents: Heightened Senses (Hearing) or Paranoia or Unremarkable.
Accustomed to Crowds: Crowds aren’t Difficult Terrain, no penalties for Charging or Running through crowds.
Hivebound: -10 Survival outside of an enclosed or artificial environment.
Wounds: Reduce starting Wounds by one.

Death World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Perception, Strength, Toughness
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Survival
Talents: Light Sleeper or Lightning Reflexes or Resistance (Poisons)
Wary of Outsiders: -10 to all Interaction tests made in formal surroundings.
Wounds: Add two to starting Wounds.

Fortress World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Ballistic Skill, Willpower, Toughness
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Guard, War)
Talents: Hatred (choose one); Nerves of Steel or Sprint
Hated Enemy: Ordinary (+10) Willpower test to avoid attacking hated enemy on sight.

Highborn
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Fellowship, Intelligence, Weapon Skill
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Common Lore (Administratum), Inquiry
Talents: Air of Authority or Peer (Nobility)
Duty and Honour: -10 on all Charm, Deceive, and Inquiry tests made against non-nobles. +10 Charm, Deceive, and Inquiry made against nobles.
Abundant Resources: +10 Logistics.

Penal Colony
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Agility, Strength, Toughness
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Intimidate
Talents: Peer (Underworld) or Street Fighting
Larcenous: +10 Logistics to acquire contraband or other illegal items.
Wounds: Increase starting Wounds by one.

Penitent
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Fellowship, Toughness, Willpower
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed), Intimidate
Talents: Nerves of Steel or Orthoproxy or Unshakeable Faith
Only One Life to Give: Ordinary (+10) Willpower test to act in the interests of self-preservation.
Untempered Zeal: Re-roll failed tests to incite religious fervor or righteous hatred in others.
Wounds: Increase starting Wounds by two.

Schola Progenium
Characteristics: +3 Willpower, and +3 to either Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Guard, War)
Talents: Air of Authority or Unshakeable Faith

Forge World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Intelligence, Ballistic Skill, Toughness
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium, Tech)
Talents: Chem Geld or Technical Knock
Stranger to the Cult: -10 to all test regarding the Imperial Creed, and a -5 to all test dealing with members of the Ecclesiarchy in formal surroundings.

Void Born
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Willpower, Intelligence, Agility
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium); Operate (Voidship) or Navigate (Stellar)
Charmed: When you spend (not burn) a Fate Point, roll a d10. If you roll a 9, you keep the point.
Ill-Omened: -10 to all tests dealing with non-void born humans.
Void Accustomed: No penalties for being in zero gravity.

And the fixed Arbitrator.

Arbitrator
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Toughness
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Toughness, Fellowship, Intelligence, Leadership, Defense
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Imperium), Inquiry
Starting Talents: Jaded, Takedown, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech, Power)
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship Shotgun (pump action) and 4 clips of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Shock Maul (counts as a Power Maul on Low setting), Common-craftsmanship Light Carapace armour
Starting Wounds: 10+1d5

The Arbitrator looks good, the Homeworlds however, seem to be a mixed bag. Some of them are all upsides, while other are mix of upsides and downsides. I would suggest that you pick a model and stick with it.

I'd actually swap Leadership with Social for the Arbitrator. If for no other reason, because he was always the go-to class for cheap Inquiry.

Morangias said:

I'd actually swap Leadership with Social for the Arbitrator. If for no other reason, because he was always the go-to class for cheap Inquiry.

I agree with this. The Arbitrator is first and foremost a Cop. Inquiry should be a primary skill. Other than that it looks really good!

The current state of Specializations.

Adept (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Intelligence
Starting Aptitudes: Intelligence, Fellowship, Perception, Willpower, Knowledge, Social
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (War) or Common Lore (Tech), Logic, Scholastic Lore (Legend)
Starting Talents: Light Sleeper or Resistance (Cold), Total Recall, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile or Las, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Stub Revolver and 1 clips of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Flak Vest, Staff, robes, writing kit, chrono, data-slate
Starting Wounds: 6+1d5

Arbitrator (600xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Toughness, Fellowship, Intelligence, Leadership, Defense
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Imperium), Inquiry
Starting Talents: Jaded, Takedown, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech, Power)
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship Shotgun (pump action) and 2 clips of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Shock Maul (counts as a Power Maul on Low setting), Common-craftsmanship Light Carapace armour
Starting Wounds: 10+1d5

Assassin (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill
Starting Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Agility, Perception, Finesse, Fieldcraft
Starting Skills: Awareness, Dodge, Acrobatics or Stealth
Starting Talents: Deadeye Shot or Sure Strike, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Training (Las, Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Long-las and 4 clips of ammunition or Good-craftsmanship Mono-Sword, Common-craftsmanship Mono-Knife or Common-craftsmanship Laspistol and 2 clips of ammunition, 2 Smoke Grenades, bodyglove
Starting Wounds: 9+1d5

Scum (600xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Fellowship
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Fellowship, Perception, Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Social
Starting Skills: Charm or Deceive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Starting Talents: Technical Knock or Quick Draw, Light Sleeper, Weapon Training (Solid Projectile, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Autogun and 1 clip of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Shotgun (pump action) and 3 clips of ammunition, 1 Frag Grenade, Good-craftsmanship Autopistol and 1 clip ammunition, knife, street clothes
Starting Wounds: 8+1d5

Storm Trooper [Plushy mix] (300xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Finesse, Toughness, Weapon Skill
Starting Skills: Awareness, Dodge or Parry, Intimidate or Command, Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis).
Starting Talents: Quick Draw or Rapid Reload, Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship Hotshot Lasgun w/Auxiliary Grenade Launcher and 2 clips of ammunition, 2 Frag grenades, Good-craftsmanship Storm Trooper Carapace Armour
Starting Wounds: 11+1d5

Add in the Tech-Priest Enginseer, Sanctioned Psyker, and Ministorum Priest. You now have a ghetto DH 2e.

Mechanicus Tech-Priest (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Intelligence
Starting Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Intelligence, Knowledge, Weapon Skill, Tech, Toughness,
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) or Logic, Tech-Use
Starting Talents: Chem Geld or Technical Knock, Mechadendrite Use (Weapon, Utility), Weapon Training (Las or Solid Projectile, Power, Low-Tech)
Starting Traits: Mechanicus Implants.
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship MIU, two Good-craftsmanship Cybernetics of your choice, Common-craftsmanship Laspistol and 2 clips of ammunition, one Utility or Ballistic Mechadendrite of choice, Common-craftsmanship Staff, robes, data slate, combi-tool
Starting Wounds: 8+1d5

Sanctioned Psyker (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Willpower
Starting Aptitudes: Psyker, Knowledge, Willpower, Intelligence, Perception, Strength
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica), Forbidden Lore (Psykers), Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Cryptology)
Starting Talents: Heightened Senses (Hearing), up to 400xp worth of Psychic Powers
Starting Traits: Psy Rating 2, 1d5 Corruption or Insanity Points
Starting Equipment: Best-craftsmanship Staff, Psy Focus, robes
Starting Wounds:

Ministorum Cleric (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Fellowship
Starting Aptitudes: Leadership, Social, Fellowship, Willpower, Weapon Skill, Strength
Starting Skills: Charm or Intimidate, Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy), Forbidden Lore (Heresy), Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)
Starting Talents: Hatred (choose one), Unshakeable Faith, Weapon Training (Las or Solid Projectile, Flame, Chain, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Flamer, Common-craftsmanship Chainsword, robes, book of scripture

Battle Sister (300xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Willpower, Toughness, Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Offence, Faith
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy), Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Forbidden Lore (Heresy)
Starting Talents: Hatred (Heretics), Unshakeable Faith, Weapon Training (Bolt, Chain Flame, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Common-craftsmanship Sororitas Powered Armour (7 AP all), Common-craftsmanship Bolt Pistol and 3 clips of ammunition, Common-craftsmanship Chainsword or Common-craftsmanship Boltgun and 2 clips of ammunition or Common-craftsmanship Flamer and 2 clips of ammunition

Sister Repentia (300xp)
Starting Aptitudes: Willpower, Toughness, Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Offence, Faith
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy), Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Forbidden Lore (Heresy)
Starting Talents: Hatred (Heretics), Unshakeable Faith, Weapon Training (Bolt, Chain Flame, Low-Tech)
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship Eviscerator, purity seals

Sister of Silence (300xp)
Characteristic Bonus: +5 Willpower, -10 Fellowship
Starting Aptitudes: Willpower, Intelligence, Fellowship, Toughness, Knowledge, Social
Starting Skills: Forbidden Lore (Inquisition, Psykers), Awareness, Linguistics (BattleMark)
Starting Talents: Oath of Tranquility*, Quick Draw or Takedown
Starting traits: Untouchable**
Starting Equipment: Good-craftsmanship autopistol with 4 clips, bodyglove
Starting Wounds: 6+1d5

*Oath of Tranquility: Reduce all Insanity and Corruption points gained by half, to a minimum of 1.

**Untouchable: Cannot be affected or perceived by psychic powers, can never gain Faith talents. All Focus Power rolls within a radius equal to the Untouchable’s Willpower Bonus in metres suffer a -20 to the Focus Power test. This Trait costs 300xp, and must be bought at character creation.

The current Home Worlds and Origins. I want to add Mind-Cleansed and Hive Mutant, though. Maybe also Feral World, Feudal World, and Frontier World.

Imperial World
Blessed Ignorance: -5 to all Forbidden Lore tests

Hive World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Agility, Fellowship, Perception
Accustomed to Crowds: Crowds aren’t Difficult Terrain, no penalties for Charging or Running through crowds.
Hivebound: -10 Survival outside of an enclosed or artificial environment.
Poor Conditions: 1d5 Corruption points.

Death World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Perception, Strength, Toughness
Wary of Outsiders: -10 to all Interaction tests made in formal surroundings.
Fight For Survival: 1d5 Insanity points.
Wounds: Add two to starting Wounds.

Fortress World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Ballistic Skill, Willpower, Toughness
Talents: Hatred (choose one); Nerves of Steel or Sprint or Jaded
Hated Enemy: Ordinary (+10) Willpower test to avoid attacking hated enemy on sight.
Shellshocked: 1d5 Insanity points.

Highborn
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Fellowship, Intelligence, Weapon Skill
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Common Lore (Administratum), Inquiry
Duty and Honour: -10 on all Charm, Deceive, and Inquiry tests made against non-nobles. +10 Charm, Deceive, and Inquiry made against nobles.
Decadency: 1d5 Corruption points.

Penal Colony
Been In Here Too Long: 1d5 Insanity points.

Penitent
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Fellowship, Toughness, Willpower
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed), Intimidate
Only One Life to Give: Ordinary (+10) Willpower test to act in the interests of self-preservation.
Untempered Zeal: Re-roll failed tests to incite religious fervor or righteous hatred in others.
Wounds: Increase starting Wounds by two.

Schola Progenium
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Guard, War)

Forge World
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Intelligence, Ballistic Skill, Toughness
Stranger to the Cult: -10 to all test regarding the Imperial Creed, and a -5 to all test dealing with members of the Ecclesiarchy in formal surroundings.

Void Born
Characteristics: +3 to any two of the following – Willpower, Intelligence, Agility
Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperium); Operate (Voidship) or Navigate (Stellar)
Charmed: When you spend (not burn) a Fate Point, roll a d10. If you roll a 9, you keep the point.
Ill-Omened: -10 to all tests dealing with non-void born humans.
Exposed to the Warp: 1d10orruption points.

The homeworlds probably shouldn't give corruption unless they are really weird. Like from Dusk or something. My suggestion would be to go with cicumstantial penalities. Also, I would give the arbitrator an article of clothing.

On to being more specific. Schola, still seems to have no draw backs. For voidborn, i don't think the corruption should be 1d10 it should be 1d5. Penal colony also seems pretty high on the upsides vs down sides as it has no sitational penalities.

That said, Homeworlds could be all upsides.While it would be a(rather mild) power boost, it makes things simpler(less conditional modifers to keep track of), and also encourage variety so you don't have the i'm playing the void born so i better not invest in fellowship since i suck at it.

Either way is a valid plan IMHO.

Unholy_Ravager said:

The homeworlds probably shouldn't give corruption unless they are really weird. Like from Dusk or something. My suggestion would be to go with cicumstantial penalities. Also, I would give the arbitrator an article of clothing.

On to being more specific. Schola, still seems to have no draw backs. For voidborn, i don't think the corruption should be 1d10 it should be 1d5. Penal colony also seems pretty high on the upsides vs down sides as it has no sitational penalities.

That said, Homeworlds could be all upsides.While it would be a(rather mild) power boost, it makes things simpler(less conditional modifers to keep track of), and also encourage variety so you don't have the i'm playing the void born so i better not invest in fellowship since i suck at it.

Either way is a valid plan IMHO.

Hmm. I'll look into the situational penalties thing. I miss how Corrupt and Insane DH was, and the old Mutation tables.

Any ideas for a Schola penalty?

Penal Colony should definitely give a penalty for being a scumbag, don't know how I didn't think of that.

All positives, huh? That could be interesting.

Also, Plushy, if it seems like i'm nagging and nit-picking, it's because I like your doing and I hope it's the best you can make it.

Making it all upsides means that the player is looking solely at the bonuses(and what image he has for his character, but taste isn't something you can balance around) as opposed to both the bonuses, and the often rather nasty circumstantial penalities. This can lead to unorthodox concepts.

Unholy_Ravager said:

Also, Plushy, if it seems like i'm nagging and nit-picking, it's because I like your doing and I hope it's the best you can make it.

Making it all upsides means that the player is looking solely at the bonuses(and what image he has for his character, but taste isn't something you can balance around) as opposed to both the bonuses, and the often rather nasty circumstantial penalities. This can lead to unorthodox concepts.

Aww, thank you.

Let's take a gander at this, then…

Imperial World

Hive World
Accustomed to Crowds: No penalties for moving through crowds.

Death World

Fortress World
Talents: Hatred (choose one); Nerves of Steel or Sprint or Jaded

Highborn

Penal Colony

Penitent

Schola Progenium

Forge World

Void Born

I would try to keep the bonus talents tier 1 or maybe tier 2.

Regiment creation rules could be used occording to what style of investigation the acolytes's Inquisitor favors. Or perhaps what Ordo.

Unholy_Ravager said:

Regiment creation rules could be used occording to what style of investigation the acolytes's Inquisitor favors. Or perhaps what Ordo.

Infiltration, Shooting Everyone involved, or…?

Perhaps, i could also see Peer abilities. Also with regards to Ordo's having some knowledge of what your suppose to be looking for, investigating or fighting might be a good idea.

I think I would loosen it up a bit for DH.

Each player gets an individual class and Home World.

The whole squad gets certain bonuses based on the Inquisitor you serve and his order. Probably Personality, Ordos, and Faction are good breakdown points, although you could replace faction (which most starting DH level character won't even know about without FL (Inquisition), with "Favored approach."

Doesn't DH also use a life path system like RT does? If not it could be a fun thing to stick in there.

The Ordos would be basic skills like Lores (Ordo Hereticus prefers you study FL Heretics)

The Personaility of your Inquisitor would be a good place to stick a bonus aptitude. "Inquisitor Naismith likes weasels. Bonus Social Aptitude."

The favored approach would be a set of talents and skills. "Investigative approach" "Subtle approach" "Boot the door"

Andor said:

I think I would loosen it up a bit for DH.

Each player gets an individual class and Home World.

The whole squad gets certain bonuses based on the Inquisitor you serve and his order. Probably Personality, Ordos, and Faction are good breakdown points, although you could replace faction (which most starting DH level character won't even know about without FL (Inquisition), with "Favored approach."

Doesn't DH also use a life path system like RT does? If not it could be a fun thing to stick in there.

The Ordos would be basic skills like Lores (Ordo Hereticus prefers you study FL Heretics)

The Personaility of your Inquisitor would be a good place to stick a bonus aptitude. "Inquisitor Naismith likes weasels. Bonus Social Aptitude."

The favored approach would be a set of talents and skills. "Investigative approach" "Subtle approach" "Boot the door"

Class and Home World/Origin are different per character, though I didn't make that clear. I'm also stealing Dark heresy' Divination and Mutation tables.

Ordo gives the appropriate Forbidden lore, maybe? (Heretics, Xenos, or Daemons)

Aptitudes could be fun for Personality.

Favored approach… huh. That makes sense. Things like Common Lore: Tech, Deceive, Weapon Training talents, maybe even extra gear.

This has been my shot at DH Character creation in OW. There were a lot of elements in Dark Heresy that I thought were crucial to it's tone, such as Cell Directives, Backgrounds, and Alternate Career Paths, so I've felt necessary to work them in (although most, if not all, need GM tinkering). This method of character creation is decidedly more individualized, which could potentially bog it down if the character's don't have a semi-good idea of the character they are creating and how they interface with the universe. If the GM feels the need to, he can simply create a package (like the pre-made regiments in OW) and using them as " All Characters in Inquisitor Kain's Acolyte cell 'Primus' gain these bonuses" or however you'd like to package it.

All Characters begin the creation process with 12 CP.
• Home World: Same as OW; the world that you were born and raised on.
• Commanding Officer: An influential figure who held control over your life before you joined the Inquisition (family, factorum boss, commanding officer, gang leader, etc.), or someone who currently has control over it (Inquisitor). This is to represent your transcendence of Imperial society as well as a reminder that you were once a part of it. Also, it’s meant to highlight the rigid social structure of the Imperium and the seemingly over-abundance of authority figures who rule those beneath them.
• Regiment Doctrines: Related to the Ordo your are a part of. You also gain the appropriate Task Force Cell Directive related to your Inquisitorial Ordo (Book of Judgment, 58). Note that even Guardsmen gain access to this table during character creation.
o Each skill from the table may be bought at Character Creation for 1 CP. A skill advance for any of the listed skills may be purchased for 2 CP.
o Note that the appropriate Forbidden Lore skill gained with the Task Force Cell Directive does not count as a specialty skill when you use it (i.e. you may test with it at a -20 penalty).
o This Task Force Cell Directive is exchanged for the appropriate Retinue Cell Directive (BoM, DaeH) once the character reaches 5,000 XP.
• Training Doctrines: Only Guardsmen may purchase those listed in the book, however, any Non-Guardsmen may purchase any aptitude for 3 CP.
• Backgrounds: Any character may purchase a suitable background at Character Creation with CP. 1 CP = 100xp
Any CP not spent at Character Creation is lost.
Alternate Career Ranks
Any Character may choose a single Alternate Career Rank for free at any time so long as they fulfill the pre-requisites (including Rank). They may even be taken at Character Creation. The Advancements listed on their appropriate chart may be purchased for their listed price or a lower one if the character has suitable aptitudes.
The player may purchase a second Alternate Career Rank at the premium of 1000 xp.

And here is a quick make-up of the Ordo's, but I don't quite think I've hit it yet. I didn't want to generalize the style of game being played based on the Ordo (ie. all Hereticus cells do investigations, Malleus cells are daemon-combat fests), but I wanted to keep the overall tone of the Ordo intact.

Additional Regiments (Ordos)
Hereticus
Cost: 3 CP
Ability Modifiers: +3 Per
Skills: Awareness or Scrutiny
Talents: Heightened Senses (Choose One)
Gear: Light Flak Cloak, Compact Laspistol w/ 1 clip or Compact Stub Automatic w/ 1 clip, Micro-bead, Manacles, Data-Slate. One Pict-Recorder per Cell.

Xenos
Cost: 3 CP
Ability Modifiers: +3 Int
Skills: Tech-Use or Commerce
Talents: Total Recall or Chem Geld
Gear: Light Flak Cloak, (Good) Stub Automatic w/ 1 clip or (Good) Laspistol w/ 1 clip, Survival Suit. One Multi-Compass per Cell.

Malleus
Cost: 4 CP
Ability Modifier: +3 Wp
Skills: Survival, Interrogation
Talents: Deadeye Shot or Sure Strike, Nerves of Steel
Gear: Flak Cloak, Laspistol w/ Sacred Inscription, Mono-knife, Micro-bead. One Auspex per Cell

I dont think there needs to be alternate advances in an OW based game.

Well without advance paths, an alternate path is kind of a moot point.

But the concept is still valid, and a good way to show/allow a character to deviate from the norm or accomplish something that is not normally accomplishable like a Gland Warrior or Calixis Templar.

I think the right implementation is something like the elite advance package deals from Into the Storm. So you pay a hunk of XP and get a talent ot trait or implant not otherwise available, as well as a discount on a related set of advances.

So maybe something like:

Moritatus Accolyte

Prerequisite: WS 45 or greater, Linguistics:Secret Tounge Moritat

Pay 400 XP

You have been inducted into the secret cult of the Moritat so that you may better bring death to the enemies of the Emperor. As a believer in the doctrine of the Moritat you have a strong preference for edged weapons that cause bloody wounds.

You gain the trait "The Bloody Edge" as in the Inquisitors handbook page 31.

You count as having the finesse aptitude for the purpose of talents that also have WS as an aptitude.

When you reach 6000 xp, if you prove worthy you may become eligible to buy the "Moritat Reaper" package if you have remained loyal to the teaching of the cult. Be certain that they will be watching.

That does seem like a reasonable idea. Although most alternate ranks really dont need representation.

Perhaps alternate ranks can exist as "partial" aptitudes? Where it makes a certain subset of skills/talents/traits cheaper by meeting a set of pre-reqs, paying an up front XP cost, and RP forcing the character down a certain path?

I would instead carry over the special abilities of the alternate ranks. Any advancements that those ranks would normally have access to would be available at a set price that isn't related to aptitudes. Similar to the way comrade advancements work. Ofc the PC would pay the XP required to get the alternate rank. This should prevent you from having problems with giving players new aptitudes, which would give them too many advancement paths and make it harder to balance the alternate ranks with the careers that already exist. You will be able to limit them to only certain skills that pertain to that alternate rank. That will also keep players from getting easy access to advancements that don't have anything to do with the alternate ranks they've taken.