Post your questions for the next FAQ

By ffgMark, in Tannhauser

??! said:

Miah999 said:

I don't want to set a precident for using an item "randomly outside of the owners activation", for fear that this would create further issues in the future.

Moebius, as you have actually played the Medals both ways and have never encountered any problems, I accept your experience of course. Yet I still think Miah's got a point here. Tokens that can be used outside of their owners activations should specifically say so and/or name specific conditions or situations when they may be used.

Agreed, I think the tokens should be "errata-ed" and added a sentence on when to use them.My proposal: "You may activate this ability as a command point ability."

I think that it clearly specifies a concrete set of moments during the game: To be precise, any moment when a CP might be spent, for whatever reason.

Is it possible to "chain" overwatch attacks? I.e., can I interrupt an OW with an OW of my own?

Is Tala's equipment card for the TNR 440GR stating FOUR automatic attack successes (instead of five) a misprint?

Your second answer is alredy in the FAQ and yes it's a mistake.

I'll look in to your first question.

Colgrevance said:

Is it possible to "chain" overwatch attacks? I.e., can I interrupt an OW with an OW of my own?

I don't think this would be possible. The point is, an overwatch attack interrupts the active character's activation if certain conditions are met. The target of the overwatch attack has to be the activated character. A character that does an overwatch attack is not the active character and is not even activated, so he could never be the target of an overwatch attack. The rules about placing a character on overwatch specify that this character won't get an activation. That's why I'd say no targeting a character on overwatch with overwatch attacks.

Just to let everyone know I've forwarded the FAQ we've developed here to FFG; it all in their hands now.

A couple of additional questions (for a next FAQ version maybe).

Can Trench gun push a character through a friendly character? (if pushed 2 spaces)

Does a fire grenade trigger a volatile circle?

Can the Sten Mark 2 be used like a normal automatic gun?

I mean if it is an automatic weapon , but it also has the ability to attack again in the same activation (like if you were using an extra ammunition token with it) and then discard it.

This is similar to the happo question.

The Sten can only be used by discarding it.

Hi

I disagree with Miah, if that was the case it would be almost like a extra ammo token. To be consistent with other rulings that support that the abilities in the text are in addition to the abilities granted by the description (happo for example) the actual use should be, as a normal automatic weapon that in addition to that it can be fired a second time in a turn but discarding it afterwards.

That is how I understand the token too.

I really don't want to resurect this old argument but…

Page 10 clearly lays out activations, which direcly effect the Overwatch situation disccused in the above topic. In the discused topic, the OP set up a situation in which a character begins their turn on the same path as a character on Overwatch, but then erroniously assumes that this character can simply choose to do nothing, which in TH they cannot.

All characters must activate, and when activated they must move or act, or some combo there of. So in this case the Overwatch character will at some point get a chance to attack the character that began the turn on their path, at least in the example dicused, it would take too long to lay out all the posibilties.

Here are the activation rules from page 10, as you can see there is no option to either not activate a character, or for an active character to do nothing.

4. Activate Characters

During this step, players alternate activating their characters. The player who has initiative goes first. If one player runs out of characters to activate (frequently because some of his characters have died, or are on overwatch), his opponent activates the rest of his characters one after the other. When his turn to activate a character comes, a player may choose to activate any character on his side who has not been activated yet and is not on overwatch. When activated, a character can move (see “Moving” on page 17) and take one action (see “Actions” on page 18). Taking an action is also known as acting .

During an activation, a character performs one of the following:

M ove and then act.

Act and then move.

Move, then act, then move some more.

Move without taking an action.

Act without moving.

Hope all that helps.

I am sorry but I think the activation is not something you MUST do. If you read the rules you have quoted, the terms used are MAY and CAN, not MUST.

Per my conversations with Andrew Meredith (one of the developers) you cannot simply skip your turn, and all characters must activte at least once per turn.

If you were allowed to just stand there you could simply wait around doing nothing for turn after turn and that could get really unfair, not to mention boring.

Standing around is just not in the spirt of the game or the rules.

I agree, this is not the spirit but sometimes, especially with games of this kind with infiltration for example, it could be "justified", you see what I mean.

And nothing in the rules prooves that you can't stay still.

In fact I think this is because I used to play a lot with the 1st version of the french rules which did not include the Overwatch. I will have to change my mind I guess ;-)

How does a smoke filled path affect the weapon "Doom?" Since the weapon is mental and doesn't need line of sight to use, but rather uses counted circles that may be out of path, is Karl Zermann afflicted by the effects of smoke, thus rendering him only able to attack circles adjacent to him? If he is unnaffected by the circle adjacency limitation of smoke, is he affected by the -2 dice roll?

Doom is limited by smoke in the same way than any other weapon. This was cleared up officially some time ago after some confusion. A contradicting answer even made it into an official FAQ, but it was reversed later.

Hi all. New to Tannhauser. A few quick questions
Why are the characters faces on the equipment tokens ringed in beige or gray?
Can a team be formed with Reich and Union characters?
Can Blutsturm, Obscura Korps, and Reich characters make up a single 5 character team?
What characters can pair with the army of the union?
Is initiative rolled every round?
Is a round for a team or does is just go back and forth from character to character, cycling through the team each time the turn comes back to you?
Thanks so much.

carbonadam said:

Why are the characters faces on the equipment tokens ringed in beige or gray?

I have never even noticed that, and I don't think it has any in-game relevance.

Can a team be formed with Reich and Union characters?
If you play using the official rules, you can't do that. But feel free to use a house rule.
Can Blutsturm, Obscura Korps, and Reich characters make up a single 5 character team?
They all count as Reich, so they can.
What characters can pair with the army of the union?
All Union characters and mercenaries of course, Oksana and Natalya (if Oksana is part of the team as well). If you use the new rules concerning allied forces, you may basically use Union and Matriarchy characters in the same team.
Is initiative rolled every round?
Yes.
Is a round for a team or does is just go back and forth from character to character, cycling through the team each time the turn comes back to you?
Basically, it goes back and forth between the players, each activates one character that has not been activated during the current turn. So I activate character X, then you activate character Y, then I activate a character of my choice but not character X again, … When all characters have been activated, the turn ends and a new one starts. All characters are activated again, one after the other.
Thanks so much.
You're welcome.

The token rings are "Gold" for heroes and "Silver" for troopers.

Oh so I just played my first game in Tannhauser. BTW awsome as is everything FF that I have played. so we ran into this Commado Alpha was on Overwatch and the other faction had a solider on overwatch that could see Alpha. A third solider activated in the same area as Alpha. Who attacks first Alpha or the person on Overwatch…aka can you overwatch and overwatch? Again this was my second day looking at the game so I may have completely missed the rule.

Thanks

Brandon

As I understand it, both you and your opponent have a character on overwatch on the same path. So if one of your characters on that said path activates, your opponent's character on overwatch may attack. If on the other hand one of your opponent's characters activates, your character on overwatch may attack. And if your character on overwatch attacks, I don't think this attack will trigger an overwatch attack from the opposing character. The point is, a character on overwatch may interrupt the active character's activation, but a character on overwatch is not the active character.

I agree.. I believe that you forgo a "classic" activation when you elect to go on overwatch. If you execute an overwatch attack,it is just that (i.e use of overwatch potential) and is not classified as an activation. Therefore, that character is not subject to a counter overwatch attack since that character did not "activate".

My first foray into Tannhauser help..Hope it was useful! :)

-Matt-

p.s Miah.. Huge fan of the Tannhauser vids!! Please do some more!!!! :D