Post your questions for the next FAQ

By ffgMark, in Tannhauser

Hello Tannhauser fans,

Please use this thread as a gathering point for all of your questions, so that we can incorporate them into our next FAQ.

Thanks!

Ok everyone now is our chance!!!

I'll be taking all the questions posed here and creating a FAQ, I'll then forward it to FFG, who'll hopefully publish it as the Tannhauser FAQ 2.0. I'm going to do my best to help out the TH Devs so they can focus on their other tasks.

If they decide they don't need me I'll let everone know, but even if that's the case, continue to post questions here, and they'll build us the FAQ.

Please note as I understand it: it is FFG's policy not to answer the questions here, but rest assured all questions will recieve due consideration, but don't let that stop you from posting suggested answers to questions.

If more then one character is standing in a row, can you bullrush through all of them if you beat everyone in a stamina duel and have enough movment to do it? Can Asteros do this?

How many times may Asteros bull rush the same character during one activation?

If a item says you may reroll the two lowest dice, can you then reroll just one or must two be rerolled? Also, when it says that you may reroll the lowest two dice, those that include natural ones?

If a item says that you may reroll the two lowest dice and only one is low enough to fail, can you then reroll only the failing dice and then use the "second" reroll to reroll that first dice again if it would yet again fail?

Can Zor'ka attack herself through a voivod standing right next to her? Can Zor'ka attack an empty space as long as the "aoe"/spread of the lightning will hit something that can be damaged by it?

When Ramierez attacks a space with a character on it using his grenade launcher, does that count as targeting the character or the space? If he attacks an space adjacent to a character, with the grenade launcher, does the character become targeted?

What is the purpos of Eva Krämers smoke goggles? Since they make pistol attacks function like melee attacks, does that mean she doesn't need to share a path with the enemy character, but just need to be able to have the range, which is infinte for pistols, and only stopped by paths normaly. So the question is, can she shoot a character she doesn't see but have a straight line to or something like that?

How many characters standing in a row can Hoax go through?

First thanks Mr. H., those are some good questions, and I've already started working on them.

Also: Please post any mistakes you've spoted in any expansion rule book, or on an equipment card.

And feel free to resubmit any question that you already recieved a previous answer for reconsideration, only answers already in the previous FAQ will be considered permanent. This will help us resolve some of the conficting answers that crept up over the last year or so.

Thank you.

Can the Tesla Coils be combined with counterattacks?

For example, Irishka is using her Combat Pack with the normal Tesla Coil, and counterattacks after taking one wound. During her counterattack she rolls 2 successes and then adds the one success from the Tesla Coil so the defending character must cancel 3 successes total.

I believe this change would make the Tesla Coils more usefull and powerfull, and Zor'ka's Tesla Coil in her Combat pack wouldn't feel as out of place.

Great! I was really waiting for this! So here we go:

Concerning Zor’ka: If Zor’ka is on overwatch and an enemy character walks adjacent to a Voivode, does that trigger Zor’ka’s overwatch as the circles adjacent to a Voivode are considered to be adjacent to Zor’ka?

Concerning Mizu's Happo: Is it allowed to use it like a normal Smoke grenade, that is: throw it as an action in Mizu's activation? Is Mizu forced to use Happo if she is targeted by an attack, or may she choose not to use Happo?

Concerning Oksana: If she is given the Voivode equipment token Strobo lamp ( -2 to Combat Value for everyone), every Voivode she commands gets this ability. Is this cumulative, for example if 2 Voivodes share a path, everyone gets -4 to his Combat Value?

Concerning Irina’s Bonus pack: The Liturgy of discord from Irina’s Bonus pack states that the enemy takes a wound for every success in a Mental Duel that Irina has initiated against that enemy. Does this really mean “every success” or is it actually “every uncanceled success”?

Concerning a question that was answered some time ago:
“Q: If Hoss Harbinger uses Prescience to dodge an attack, can he move to a circle with a movement penalty? A: No, he must be able to legally move into the adjacent circle. Since this is not a movement, Hoss cannot pay the extra movement point to enter that circle.”
I’m a bit confused because Prescience doesn’t say anything about Movement points but states that Hoss may move one circle. So why is the answer about Movement points? By the way, it’s just the same with Mizu’s Shadowflash ability.

Okay, here are some more:

Concerning Locked doors: Some Locked door circles are placed in the middle of a path. if the door is locked and a Smoke grenade or Fire grenade is thrown on the path, is the whole path affected or does the door "stop" the smoke or fire spread?

Also concerning Locked doors: Are out-of-path attacks or abilities (for example Doom or Patmos amulet) stopped by Locked doors?

Concerning Commando Alpha's "Only unit for the job": When I use this ability, Commando Alpha has just suffered enough wounds to be eliminated. May I take the immediate activation before Alpha suffers any wounds or does he suffer wounds to his last row before taking his activation?

By the way: Where are the questions? We have been shouting for a new FAQ for months now, and everyone seemed to have hundreds of questions - okay, everyone seemed to have several different questions at least!

??! said:

By the way: Where are the questions? We have been shouting for a new FAQ for months now, and everyone seemed to have hundreds of questions - okay, everyone seemed to have several different questions at least!

I know, I expected a much faster response, but it is the summer, and maybe people are outside or something???

Anyway Thanks ??!, I'll add these to the FAQ and in a couple weeks, I'll post a draft of the FAQ, to get community input on the answers.

Heretics! I say, one should not waste the summer being outdoors. One should use it to play more Tannhäuser, since it is far more agreeable.

Can Ramirez Bouncing Betty be detonated during an opponents activation? If it can't it should, since it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Also, can Tala detonate her TNT during an opponents activation? In my opinion she should be able too do that as long as she herself hasn't activated yet.

Can Mizu use her shuriken to make normal attacks and not only counter attacks?

How many times can the natural 10 ability be activated with Barrys Flash Gun? Since the current rules doesn't state a limit to how many times I guess there isn't one.

When may you discard a medal that gives command points?

Miah999 said:

in a couple weeks, I'll post a draft of the FAQ, to get community input on the answers.

Great! I'm really looking forward to that! By the way, cool questions, MeisterH! I never even thought about some of them, yet they sound absolutely logical.

Okay, here are the questions concerning attacks and line of sight. They are just reworded versions of the questions I asked FFG some time ago. Please note that ranged combat and melee combat are clearly separated.

Ranged attacks with pistols or automatic weapons may only target characters sharing a path with the attacker, so you may not target an adjacent character that doesn't share your path with a ranged combat attack. Right or wrong?

Melee attacks, on the other hand, may target only adjacent characters but may target characters adjacent to the attacker even if the target doesn't share a path with the attacker. Right or wrong?

MeisterH said:

When may you discard a medal that gives command points?

I would like to have an specific answer here to know if these may be used to increase total CPs at the start of the turn and thus be able to get a reincorcement in 2cp games or not.

Find below more questions, some of them have been answered by the community but I would like to see the answers in an official Faq as well.

Elizabeth Bathory and Reichdoktor interaction: Can I use reichdoktor on a character that is on his last wound row for an attack roll? What if the character kills the enemy with that roll, does the character get fully healed (from very dead with -1 wounds to full health) or does it die between rools and thus cannot be healed?

Same question would apply for Reichdoktor and stosstruppen's command pack.

Can 2 CP be used to both increase a character mov stat and also granting him +1 mov point during its activation do effectively grant him 2 extra movement points?

If a character is wounded in overwatch and his movement points are reduced does it still get to use the amount of movement points it could use at the start of the activation? Example: Heizinger moves 3 circles, gets wounded in overwatch and his total mov stat becomes 4 ¿Does he have 3 movement points left or 1?

Barry shoots Shin Agent (with Stamina pack) and gets a 0. Does the Agent get to make barry reroll his 0 before the extra dice effect triggers or she has to wait until Barry rolls 2 extra dice?

If zazizag shoots an adjacent character with his flamethrower, is he inmune to the area effect due to his coat?

If 2 different fire grenades affect 1 circle and a character moves into it, does the effect resolve twice?

Can a CP be used to shake off an automatic wound?

If I own 2 Oksana Models, could I have 2 voivodes equip the same token (using 1 copy of the token from each oksana expansion pack), for example 2 voivodes with stroboscopic lamp?

Can I include an epic character in a team by replacing 2 heroes instead of a hero and a trooper?

Can I still use a trooper instead of a hero in my team (as per the original game rules) if I own enough models? In other words, removing this in the revised ones was a typo or it was intended? (strange as this feature might trigger more trooper expansion sales)

Are the "special equipment" tokens appearing in the hinansho map expansion, bonus tokens and thus be used in normal games as any other bonus token? (for example graven shard).

Where do we stand in the smoke vs out of pach attacks or abilities (patmos) interaction? I currently consider that a character inside smoke can be target of non adjacent OOP attacks but a character inside smoke can only target adgacent circles even if trying to attack himself with an OOP attack. Am I right? Is this also true for Patmos?

If I flip a crate token with CPs can I leave the CPs in the crate for later use? (using another character action to place them in the pool), do these CPs survive the end of turn reset if unspent? (AKA can I use these CPs for reinforcements?)

May the Ashigaru use "concentrated fire" after having already spent movement points (thus sacrificing his remaining movement points)?

Can Natalya hit herself with the Volta Lightning Cannon? It could make sense, since she shoots lightning but I guess it will be ruled like Barry's gun.

Also concerning Natalya: Are you forced to include a character adjacent to your target in the attack or is it optional?

First Draft of the new FAQ for community review… Let me know how you like it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzVAJpIQG8bNblpCMkljNzVhUk0

If you dissagree with any answers in there: All reasoned and well thought arguments will be considered, but profain rage will be ignored.

Notes: the web preview can take a while to load so be paitent, you can also download the original by clicking on the "File" menu at the up left.

Great Job Miah!!

My comments below:

ERRATA AND CLAIRIFACATIONS:

That sentence contains an errata gran_risa.gif

Can Zor'ka attack herself through a Voïvode standing right
next to her? Can Zor'ka attack an empty space as long as the
"AOE"/spread of the lightning will hit something that can be
damaged by it?

A: Zor’ka and her Voïvodes are immune to the Magnifier. The
Magnifier must target a character.

By that answer Zorka is a Character, she can attack herself, and as she is Inmune, she would receive no harm but surrounding character would, I dont think that was your intended answer, is it?

How do Grenades interact with Smoke Grenades?

A: If a character is on a path under the effects of smoke, he
may only target adjacent circles for his grenade. The number
of successes caused by the grenade is not reduced, so it will
still deal 4 automatic successes. If a character throws a
grenade from a path not affected by smoke, to a circle that is
affected by smoke, the grenade still deals all 4 automatic
successes.

Then a character throwing grenades from non smoked circles to smked circles suffer no limitations? can they target any circle in the smoke or just the first one?

Q: When may you discard a medal that gives command
points?

A: During the Activation of the character that owns it, this
does not require an Action.

I think that this diminishes the value of such objects, I do not see any problem with game mechanics if it can be used at any time to shake off a wound for example, also do not see any problem making it useable for reinforcements as well, it basically acts as a limited "call in the troops" token, and gives the game more strategic possibilities. I honestly think that these tokens should be used at any moment and this does not conflict with game rules. A player might decide before any character activation to use the token any way he chooses but if the cp is unused by the end of the turn the cps would go to waste.

Q: Is Mizu’s allowed to use her Happo like a normal Smoke
Grenade, that is: throw it as an action in Mizu's activation? Is
Mizu forced to use Happo if she is targeted by an attack, or
may she choose not to use Happo?

A: Mizu may only use her Happo if she has been the target of
an attack, she may not simply use an action to deploy it. When
targeted she may choose whether or not to use it.

I dont agree here either, Happo does have the smoke grenade trait, and her optional deploy ability should be in addition to its normal deplyment, not substitution. Same case as with the shuriken which has a pistol trait, we might be ruling contradictory here if did that.

First thing: Great work! A lot of points that were vaguely phrased in the rules or suffered from contradicting answers are solved now. I’d like to add only a few points:
Concerning Ramirez‘ grenade launcher and Kaali: While I absolutely agree with the ruling, I think it should be added that you may not counterattack with weapons that target circles because “the original attacker must be the target” of the counterattack.
Concerning “Prescience” and “Shadowflash”: These abilities seem to be quite similar, yet are ruled differently because of the phrase “in any direction you could legally move” on Prescience. This is a bit stretched because Hoss could legally move on a circle with a penalty using 2 MP. A solution could be to errata the text of Prescience to “in any direction you could legally move using 1 MP” to set it clear.
Concerning Mizu’s Happo: I’m with Moebius here, as Happo has the Smoke grenade trait, it should work as a normal Smoke grenade and have extra abilities on top of that.
Concerning Moebius problem with Zor’ka: If we accept the official answer given some time ago that characters can’t attack themselves at all, there just won’t be a problem with Zor’ka attacking herself and causing damage to others.
Concerning the interaction between Grenades and Smoke grenades: I think the answer given in the FAQ is wrong. The throwing of Grenades should be unaffected by smoke because it is not an attack.

Thanks guys, I consider all your suggestions, keep these things in mind…

If I don't make a change you suggest it is not necessarily because I don't agree with it, but because I think the Devs willl overrule it anyway.

Many of these answers are based on previous statments from FFG.

I'm going to go and make the best changes I can, and post an updated version, later today. Thanks again.

I've decided to make most of the changes suggested here…

Except, the ruling on the Medals, because I don't want to set a precident for using an item "randomly outside of the owners activation", for fear that this would create further issues in the future.

And I don't feel that it changes gameplay much, if you feel you need those CP at the begining of your turn, you'll just have to activate the character with them first.

If there are no other suggestions I'll forward this to FFG later this week.

Here's the new version, with better readability…

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzVAJpIQG8bNNVMzQXBlZ1RCNFk

Remember to download the original for best quality.

I can only repeat: It's great! And I think you are right about the Medals, by the way. If they could be used at any time outside the character's activation, they'd be a lot more powerful, probably would cause some difficult interaction with other characters or tokens and (most importantly) they could probably be used to get reinforcements in 2 CP games where there shouldn't be reinforcements.

??! said:

I can only repeat: It's great! And I think you are right about the Medals, by the way. If they could be used at any time outside the character's activation, they'd be a lot more powerful, probably would cause some difficult interaction with other characters or tokens and (most importantly) they could probably be used to get reinforcements in 2 CP games where there shouldn't be reinforcements.

This is where we agree to disagree.

The whole point of being able to use them out of the activation is to use them to shake off wounds when out of normal cps or bring reinforcements in 2 cp games. There is currently a couple of ways to bring reinforcements on these games, the call in the troops bonus token and irinas holy comisaar token.

I have played both with and without this interpretation and yet found no clash with any other token or rule using mine, so this would not be an issue (imho) there are other tokens that have effects out of the activation like reichdoktor without crashing with any other rule, I just have never come across any conflict playing it this way, at all.

The real discussion is around balance.

Eva gets more powerful with my interpretation of the rules but she is not the strongest of the characters, usually dropped in favor of yula or hoss, this gets her more chance to appear in a roster.

Mc Neal gets definitely better with my interpretation specially against a team with hoss with command pack, as he grants back the ability of taking reinforcements to his team, anything that nerfs hoss is good (imho)

Miah999 said:

I don't want to set a precident for using an item "randomly outside of the owners activation", for fear that this would create further issues in the future.

Moebius, as you have actually played the Medals both ways and have never encountered any problems, I accept your experience of course. Yet I still think Miah's got a point here. Tokens that can be used outside of their owners activations should specifically say so and/or name specific conditions or situations when they may be used.