close combat

By Error 718, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Bit confused with close combat with the new rules…

So a group of 5 goes CQC with another 5 troops (all have knifes) so 5 dice each for attack or just the attacker? if its 5 dies each then each hit gets to be 'saved by the armour?…..after this are these models stuck in combat or can the move off??

I cant find anything in the new rules going into CQC or maybe i have had brain fade and have over looked this section :/

Any help with this would be good people!

CC attacks are simple. If you are using any ranged weapons, resolve them first. Any surviving enemy figures will attack with their CC weapons at the same time as your CC weapons. Casualties are removed from both side after damage resilient rolls(if any) are made. No one is locked into close combat. If the unit you attacked survives and hasn't been activated, they are free to perform whatever actions they want. They could attack back with ranged weapons, CC weapons, or both. They can move without restriction. On the next turn your unit is not restricted in any way, even if the enemy unit didn't move, even if they continued the CC attacks.

In a nutshell, in Tactics you are never locked in close combat. Feel free to run away, ignore them, whatever.

Error 718 said:

So a group of 5 goes CQC with another 5 troops (all have knifes) so 5 dice each for attack or just the attacker? if its 5 dies each then each hit gets to be 'saved by the armour?…..

The only "armor saves" in Dust:Tactics is "damage resilient" which only the Axis heavy infantry and zombies have so far. it's not terribly effective, but better than nothing

Armor saves in tactics are represented by the attacking unit having fewer rolls vs different armor classes.

thanks, that clears cqc, armour saves though, doest it state in the newest edition rules that you get a chance to null/save attacks based on your armour value?

So if you got 5 hits on a unit of armour class 2 troops they get to roll 2 dice to have a chance at 'saving' any hits?

no, thats is only warfare, tactics is a completly different game then warfare they only share the same fictional universe.

If I attack with Rhino and/or The Hammers, the rules for cc counts and the axis will only use there knifes/grenades, even when they have ranged weapons?

Yes, They can only fight back with the C weapons. But they can attack with what ever they want on their activiation.

Clear! Thanks for answer.

But then,

If I activate Rhino, and do 2 actions, Move and Attack (c-weapon, so cc rules). Is it allowed to retreat, let's say abbord the attack?

An when I'm attacking "Hans" ( witch doesn't have any c-ranged weapons). with Rhino/The Hammers, can/may Hans respons, or does he only collect my punshes? Hans does not have any c-ranged weapons.

Sorry if i'm asking to logical questions, but i'm dutch and want to solve out any form of interpretation. I don't have found any other dutch players nearby, so i'm startet to make my closest friends enthusiast!

If Rhino moves and attacks in Close Combat, the opposing unit doesn't have the option to retreat during Rino's activation. It has to take the hits. Rhino, on the other hand, doesn't have the option to retreat before the opposing unit retaliates. But neither Rhino nor the opposing unit are forced to continue the attack during their next activation, they can just move away, attack with ranged weapons or whatever other options they have.

If Rhino attacks a unit (e.g. Hans) that doesn't have any Close combat weapons, this unit may not retaliate but just takes the hits. It only may attack with Ranged weapons during its next activation - that is, if it survives being punched by Rhino.

Thank you for explanation.