Let the run begin.

By Frisky AI, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

My name is Frisco Del Rosario. I've written more words about NetRunner than anyone, and a few of the words were pretty good.

I promise not to be a jerk.

Good to see you again.

Probably the best thing about this re-release…

Hi,

I'm Matthias from Netrunner Weekly. (No updates for the last 12 years). I'm back as well and happy about this release.

Frisco!

This is Chris "Foolkiller" Wagner, for any other vets out there. I am excited to see what FFG does with this resurrection. I am in for the initial release at the very least.

We'll have to do coffee and cards when this hits. You can try to convince me Peet's isn't the ultimate.

Does this mean there are Netrunner resources out there already (presumably dead ones), that might get revived?

Man, I'm so excited. I LOVED this game.

So stoked for this, played it for a while when it came out, then it just fell into my drawer of old CCGs, are you all looking at this with hope that it's all new or a reprint of the original?

Nice to see all the old names posting on a Netrunner forum again. I can't wait :)

Edwin20er said:

So stoked for this, played it for a while when it came out, then it just fell into my drawer of old CCGs, are you all looking at this with hope that it's all new or a reprint of the original?

A bit of both. I loved the original, but when I tried to play it a few years ago, this may be blasphemy, it just seemed dated. The rule book was needlessly complicated, the game was still fun, but the art looked like a 1990's interpretation of what the future would look like (the cgi art was, especially guilty of this), and I started remembering the issues with having any number of cards in a deck and trying to deal with the idea of rare hunting under those circumstances was just mind-numbing.

I REALLY want the core of the game to remain the same, but with some updated elements (like some sort of revision to trace) and benefitting of all decade and a half of card game development (like a fixed number of cards, a unification of substance and style in creating a solid thematic sense that permeates game play rather than a thin veneer). Basically, what I want is Netrunner 2: Electric Boogaloo… or maybe not, but definitely some small tweeks to the rules, major tweaks to the look and theme.

What MUST remain the same? The idea of Corp and Runner being two different forces with differing goals and play styles. The asymmetrical design of the game was brilliant and one of the biggest accomplishments in CCG design that has never been surpassed in my book. Runners able to run on anything anytime. Corp having to draw and losing the game if running out of cards. Winning by killing the runner. I think that covers most of the major things that must remain (assuming they kept the implementation of most if not all of that the same).

This resurgence of veteran resources actually raises the interesting point of how the folks over at Cardgamedb will manage this, they dont really have that many resources for LCGs other than Thrones already, will they even bother keeping up wit this one? Either way, as long as there's an agotcards type site for this game Ill be well chuffed

I wonder if Darksbane has thought about "partnering" with someone and let them do a lot of the legwork for this and he just hosts it on his site to keep it as the number one destination for all things LCG.

I am so incredibly jazzed by this game being reproduced.

Hi all.

Just a few months ago I had never heard of this game, then one day during a random search on the internet, I come across an old game called netrunner. I checked it out and read some stuff about the game, thought it was cool. Wish I had heard about this along time ago when I was playing magic, probably would have given it a shot. But i really didn't think to much about it considering the game was out of print. So I easily let it out of my mind.

Then I get on FFG website and see that really nice advertisement ANDROID: NETRUNNER.

Holy **** batman!

Ever since this game has been announced I have been scouring the internet for info.

I found Netrunneronline.com and downloaded the rules to the original game and have been studying it like crazy. It's like an everything related to netrunner website.

I also went to boargamegeek.com and found some extra cards that FFG didn't have in there preview article. For some reason my computer won't let me post the pictures. But head on over there and check em out, some pretty cool stuff. I especially love the card design and the art work is really cool.

Really looking forward to this game and thank your FFG for making me a netrunner junkie.

So, not only is it awesome that there's gonna be a new NetRunner game, but I'm, like, positioned or whatever with the best possible net handle for when the game comes out.

Frisco AND MAthias?!

Hell, I'm in like Flynn… I stick to a single requirement.

If they don't put a 'Blink' card in this deck (and name it blink) I'm occupying this message board forever… lol

For me, I would like it if Clown is still called Clown (or something close) and has a similar picture.

I hope that you no longer have to roll a dice in the game. Their necessity for some cards was a bit… random.

dboeren said:

For me, I would like it if Clown is still called Clown (or something close) and has a similar picture.

What is Clown?

Take a look here:

http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/clown/

Clown is a program that lowers the strength of all ICE encountered, and I just happen to like the artwork for it - sort of whiffle ball looking, and the lightning suggests the shape of typical clown hair. Anyway, it was an interesting program that could be a throw-in sort of thing to help reduce costs, make ICE breakable which wasn't if you were using non-pumpable icebreakers, or there was a famous strategy variously referred to as Bozomatic or HyperClown which relied on installing as many Clowns as possible (within memory constraints) and using cheap icebreakers relying on the Clowns to bring the strength of any ICE encountered down to a level where your programs could deal with it fairly well.

I like the ability of clown, Hated the name and picture. Liked the name and picture of blink. Hated tha bility. Dice in a card game are stoopid (IMO of course).

Man, I remember seeing clown decks.

Hopefully there will be limits to the numbers of a certain card in a deck, when the chances of us seeing things like that will be pretty low.

I think it's already all but confirmed that there will be a 3-copy limit like in all the other LCG's. Even the most bizarre complainers don't seem to doubt this.

dboeren said:

I think it's already all but confirmed that there will be a 3-copy limit like in all the other LCG's. Even the most bizarre complainers don't seem to doubt this.

Ah, perfect. I have full confidence in FFG doing a good job with this, and already I'm begin proven right :) .

I have fond memories of a vibrant online community, with City Grids and all. I look forward to your posts, you had more than a few good words as I recall. gran_risa.gif

Can't wait to resurrect the tournament scene here in Montreal!

randomblink said:

Frisco AND MAthias?!

Who is Mathias?

FFG hasn't closed the deal with me yet. It would've behooved them to ship a set to me for BayCon this weekend so I could introduce the game to folks, but there's not yet a hint that they care about the old-timers who can sell the game better than they can.

Asmoridin said:

Hopefully there will be limits to the numbers of a certain card in a deck, when the chances of us seeing things like that will be pretty low.

For almost 20 years, I've said that constructed decks fall into two classes: interesting and unique constructions, and clubs for use on baby seals. One of NetRunner's fundamental problems was that The Power Deck of the Week vs. The Other Side's Power Deck of the Week turned things into a rock-scissors-paper kind of game. Deck A beats Deck B, but Deck B beats Deck C, and so on. To me and many others, this wasn't much fun.

Card limits in constructed play was never the right solution in my view because while limiting cards nullified Bozomatic (that's the evil card as far as this thread is concerned, but the really good Clown decks were very elegant in their unfolding), it also wipes out wacky things like 18 one-point agendas, and multiple Rabbits.

People who brought decks for clubbing baby seals got to play them once or twice in my neighborhood, and then they built "fun" decks or played with a starter box (which is a truer test of NetRunner ability in any event).