Eternal Darkness videogame

By SuperKalelJorson7, in The World of H. P. Lovecraft

I figure a lot of you already know, but if you didn't, Eternal Darkness is a videogame produced for the Nintendo Gamecube several years ago that is a very Lovecraftian adventure. I just re-started playing it recently (on the Wii) because it was so much fun.

The game itself is played out over multiple chapters, which in the game are chapters in a book, using multiple characters. The chapters take place in various time periods over hundreds of years. The storyline is that an unspeakable, sanity-blasting, ancient evil god has turned it's destructive gaze toward Earth. It has a lot of the usual combat, and find-the-key type quests, but when your character's sanity level starts to dip the game gets really creative. Many of the monsters have a very Cthulhu-ish vibe to them. One in particular is a near copy of Yog-Sothoth core set card.

The game may not be too easy to find, but I've seen it fairly inexpensively on ebay. I bought my copy a few years ago for $10.

Yeah I played that when it came out. I should look into replaying it sometime, theres just so many games to play going back to favorites can be hard!

I really did see some of the similar ideas behind this game and some Lovecraft stories.

I liked the fact that it seemed like everything in the game could change based off your sanity, and also the fact that creatures were hoardish or solo encounters, a few faceless ghouls or a massive mage of ancent power. :3

I like this game too, the insanity effects were very clever and the spell system was fun. I liked controlling shambling monstrositiesmyself and traveling to the alternate dimension.

Def. an undervalued tome. Games with this level of innovation don't come around very often, and it's worth snatching a copy if you can find one for a decent price.