Next expansions

By Rogue Kiwi, in X-Wing

Yeah I know I am jumping the gun.

What would you like to see as the next wave of expansions? I they stick with the 4 ship pattern then I see 2 options Original trilogy vs Prequel trilogy.

I would like to see the Original trilogy myself:

A-wing and B-wing for rebels.

Tie Interceptor and Bomber for the Imps.

what would you like in the next wave? or future waves for that matter?

Who wants claw craft and Jedi X-wings?

Who wants ARC 170 and Driod Fighters?

Rogue Kiwi said:

Yeah I know I am jumping the gun.

What would you like to see as the next wave of expansions? I they stick with the 4 ship pattern then I see 2 options Original trilogy vs Prequel trilogy.

I would like to see the Original trilogy myself:

A-wing and B-wing for rebels.

Tie Interceptor and Bomber for the Imps.

what would you like in the next wave? or future waves for that matter?

Who wants claw craft and Jedi X-wings?

Who wants ARC 170 and Driod Fighters?

That pretty much covers it for me.

Those four are definite winners. If they did a larger expansion at the same time, I'd say they should add the Falcon, followed by the Slave I.

Eventually I'd also like to see E-wings and TIE Defenders.

Thanks for starting this thread. This discussion has been going on piecemeal in other threads, but now there's a good place for it.

I think the 4 craft you mentioned are perfect for the next wave. In fact, I really don't see any other options that make sense. Of course there is the rumor (albeit a well substantiated one) that they will release the Millennium Falcon and Slave I , too. Unless they were to release different versions of starfighters (color variants with new pilots), I think that about covers it for the original trilogy.

I would LOVE to see some EU craft. The Imperial Starwing Gunboat, TIE Defender and TIE Avenger from the TIE Fighter video game would be sweet! In fact, I'd love any of the ships from X-wing or TIE Fighter, but that's because those games were some of my first exposure to Star Wars outside the Original Trilogy.

Other must-see craft: Z-95 headhunter, Skipray blastboat.

The trick is, that I don't want them to release too many craft at once because if I am REALLY into this game, I think I'd like at least two of each fighter so they can have wingmen. It would just look artificial to me to have a fight between one each of a TIE fighter, TIE interceptor, TIE bomber & TIE advanced vs. X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing and B-wing. Does that make sense? It just breaks down the squadron mentality for me.

I'm very sure the next wave will be four ships, as well. The item number for the starter is SWX01, while the four ships are numbered SWX2-5. Then, the item number of the dice pack is SWX10. This makes me think that SWX6-9 are probably being made right now, and they're all FFG have committed to so far.

**** your observant artist's eyeballs, IJT! Very interesting. Huh.

Those four, yeah! Pretty much automatic responses when I saw the title of the thread before reading any further really. It'd be really good to get some EU stuff like E-wings, maybe even the K-wings of the Black Fleet Trilogy, too.

Millennium Falcon and Slave I I would think might be nice as some sort of big expansion with a possible theme of bounty hunting or something. I'm typing as I'm thinking, so this may well sound quite lame at first glance. I'm sure someone could make this sound much better!

I'm undecided about the whole prequel thing though. I mean, the game is called X-Wing, so it kinda denotes the classic trilogy only (though hopefully with some NR material thrown in as well) so it seems a bit strange to then include prequel stuff. Could just be me, though…

IG-58 said:

**** your observant artist's eyeballs, IJT! Very interesting. Huh.

Don't lose heart - I'm constantly wrong about lots of things! gran_risa.gif

I. J. Thompson rolled a natural 20 on his Perception check! gran_risa.gif

Seriously, though, that is a great observation. I'd be willing to bet a core set that SWX06-SWX09 are indeed the A-wing, B-wing, TIE Bomber, and TIE Interceptor.

But we could just as easily be in a situation where they knew they were making the dice before they started producing these unannounced fighters, in which case the dice would have been SWX06 and we would be in the dark about future productions. From that perspective, I'm not worried about them not making anymore after these 8 ships. I'm sure they're already working on them, especially considering the rumors that the delays we've experienced were because they had to resculpt the models (can't remember where I heard that, though). I bet SWX11 and SWX12 are already in the works.

spalanzani said:

I'm undecided about the whole prequel thing though. I mean, the game is called X-Wing, so it kinda denotes the classic trilogy only (though hopefully with some NR material thrown in as well) so it seems a bit strange to then include prequel stuff. Could just be me, though…

You have a good point. What would you call the Prequel version? "Aethersprite: the Miniatures Game!" . . . Somehow I'm not sure that would fly very far as a marketed title. The X-wing is just so iconic that most people will recognize it and get excited about it. It's been several months since I watched the prequels, but it seems to me that the ships all had really generic names that weren't very catchy. I mean, Aethersprite is cool, but I don't believe it's mentioned once in the movies, or even in the Clone Wars TV series. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get around to the Clone Wars era ships. I just haven't heard a lot of excitement for those ships yet and doubt FFG would get a strong enough following for those.

I. J. Thompson said:

Don't lose heart - I'm constantly wrong about lots of things! gran_risa.gif

Blasphemy!

….Tantive IV.

Ok ok. The Interceptor, Bomber, A-Wing, and B-Wing.

I STILL am skeptical about the inclusion of the TIE bomber Yes, it's one of the few 'official' OT craft… but I really don't see it's use with the game it's current infant stage. TIE Interceptor, A-Wing & B-Wing are shoo-ins; but #4? Dunno. I'd LIKE it to be the Millenium Falcon. That would make sense thematically as well as being the sexy collectible piece of the first wave. FFG might or might not be that ambitious, though. But TIE Bomber? That's like throwing in a Stuka with a release of Spitfire, Hurricane, ME-109, Mustang, FW-190, P-40 Warhawk, JU-88 (as the 'B-Wing'), Thunderbolt etc. It's like, what the Hell good is that??!

We'll just have to wait and see. The Advanced may be a foil to the Y-Wing, but if not, the Imperials may need a better load out. I get your point, though. It seems a bit lame compared to the other 3 craft. I'd prefer the Empire get a heavier ship, but getting one that isn't set to be restricted to high point games, like a capital ship, leaves the bomber as the likely choice. Maybe a defender.

I'd like to get a few dozen games in before cap ships are added. I'm also hoping that when the YT-1300 is released, it has pilot cards and upgrades to allow for a neutral/allied ship instead of being stuck with the Falcon. Don't get me wrong, the Falcon is super cool, but if released only as itself, it becomes a one trick pony. I want more out of my models. I don't like Slave One at all. It's arguably as ugly as the Falcon, but with none of the charm, IMO.

IG-58 said:

I STILL am skeptical about the inclusion of the TIE bomber Yes, it's one of the few 'official' OT craft… but I really don't see it's use with the game it's current infant stage. TIE Interceptor, A-Wing & B-Wing are shoo-ins; but #4? Dunno. I'd LIKE it to be the Millenium Falcon. That would make sense thematically as well as being the sexy collectible piece of the first wave. FFG might or might not be that ambitious, though. But TIE Bomber? That's like throwing in a Stuka with a release of Spitfire, Hurricane, ME-109, Mustang, FW-190, P-40 Warhawk, JU-88 (as the 'B-Wing'), Thunderbolt etc. It's like, what the Hell good is that??!

I disagree. The Y-wing is primarily a bomber and it looks like it has its uses. Just because we didn't see TIE Bombers in starship combat like we did the Y-wings does not mean they are incapable of it. I mean, just give it warheads, better hull than TIE fighters (they're bigger after all), and maybe a pilot that can do long range attacks like Horton Salm and I think it's ready for inclusion. If organized play ever makes it to my area, I'm planning on a TIE Bomber squadron and a Y-wing squadron, just to see how I do. Bombers have always been a favorite of mine.

qwertyuiop said:

I don't like Slave One at all. It's arguably as ugly as the Falcon, but with none of the charm, IMO.

To each his own, but I'm totally excited about getting a Firespray patrol craft in this game! Bounty hunters need some love! And come on, just look at the Slave I in action on Episode 2. You can't tell me you wouldn't want to control such an awesome craft. I don't think I'd use it in every game, but The Slave I and the Millennium Falcon would be must-haves for me.

I'm betting the TIE Bomber will be the 4th fighter in the next wave. Just the way the FFG rep (Torres?) said, without batting an eye, "oh yeah, you'll see all the fighters from the films" (paraphrasing) in that one video, makes me think that the TB is a done deal.

I could see it working - serious firepower, strong hull, but limited in maneuver options. From a Rebel perspective, it might be, "clear out the TIEs and Interceptors, then take out the Bomber… and hope he doesn't get a chance to get a bead on us in the meantime!"

Qwerty brought up a good point about the MF & Slave-I: every other craft, even Vader's, has multiple pilot options, so why not those two? Would they then be released as just "YT-1300" and "Firespray?" And then, what colors? The Falcon is kinda neutral (except for the rust-red patches) but both versions of Slave-I are pretty recognizeable. Hmmm, says I. My guess, though, is that any Firespray would be in Boba's livery since, well, that's the one from the OT.

My thoughts on that were originally Han, Lando, Chewbacca, and Leia for the Millennium Falcon , since they all piloted it in the movies, and Boba Fett, Bossk, and Dengar for the Slave I . I can't think of any others for the Slave I , but those three each piloted the Slave I at some point (not sure about Dengar, though).

But maybe they really need non-unique pilots as well. Considering that Luke's and Wedge's cards don't say Red 5, Red 2, or Rogue Leader, it seems ship designations are taking a back seat in this game. Therefore I'd expect to see YT-1300 and Firespray rather than the ships names. Another option is to have the ship name on Han Solo's card say Millennium Falcon but YT-1300 on a generic smuggler card. They haven't done that yet; Luke and Wedge both have "X-wing" under their name. But since the icon in the lower left of the pilot card designates which craft that pilot can fly, it seems redundant to restrict the text box below the pilot name on the pilot card to the craft name.

Budgernaut said:

But maybe they really need non-unique pilots as well. Considering that Luke's and Wedge's cards don't say Red 5, Red 2, or Rogue Leader, it seems ship designations are taking a back seat in this game. Therefore I'd expect to see YT-1300 and Firespray rather than the ships names. Another option is to have the ship name on Han Solo's card say Millennium Falcon but YT-1300 on a generic smuggler card. They haven't done that yet; Luke and Wedge both have "X-wing" under their name. But since the icon in the lower left of the pilot card designates which craft that pilot can fly, it seems redundant to restrict the text box below the pilot name on the pilot card to the craft name.

Maybe I'm not reading this right, Budger, but Red 5, Red 2, and Rogue leader are not ship designations. Rather, they refer to the pilot and squadron. Rogue leader, for example, flew both snow speeders and x-wings in the OT. That being said, I would agree with your suggestion about the cards and pilot names for ships such as the Millenium Falcon, etc.

As for TIE bombers, they could certainly throw some interesting things in the mix with proton torpedoes or rockets, or even the ability to deploy mines. Mines alone could bring a unique tactic to the game. Still wouldn't make the TIE bomber a great starfighter, but could certainly make them annoying and force your opponent to adjust.

Dog Solitude said:

Budgernaut said:

Maybe I'm not reading this right, Budger, but Red 5, Red 2, and Rogue leader are not ship designations. Rather, they refer to the pilot and squadron. Rogue leader, for example, flew both snow speeders and x-wings in the OT. That being said, I would agree with your suggestion about the cards and pilot names for ships such as the Millenium Falcon, etc.

I think you're right about the designations. My mistake. I guess SW:CCG just threw me off because in that game the ships themselves are named Gold 2, or Red 5 and those ships are considered unique compared to Y-wings and X-wings.

Budgernaut said:

I think you're right about the designations. My mistake. I guess SW:CCG just threw me off because in that game the ships themselves are named Gold 2, or Red 5 and those ships are considered unique compared to Y-wings and X-wings.

I'm just a big nerd. happy.gif And you are right about the CCG. I'm guessing there might be generic pilots like "Red Squadron Pilot" etc., like they did with the TIE fighter Obsidian Squadron pilot. I still think you are correct about the YT-1300 and Firespray and how their cards might be done.

TIE Scouts and Z-95s…. maybe a good way to fill up unused squad points. ;)

And I just want to say this now, if I see a Sun Crusher model for this game, I quit.

Starfighters
  1. Tie Interceptor
  2. Tie Bomber
  3. Tie Defender
  4. Tie Scimitar
  5. Skipray(Empire/Neutral)
  6. A-Wing
  7. B-Wing
  8. Z-95(Rebel(NR)/Neutral)
  9. E-Wing
  10. K-Wing
  11. Starviper(Neutral)
  12. R-41 Starchaser(Neutral/Rebel(NR))
  13. Preybird(Neutral/Empire)

Transports

1. YT-1300(Neutral/Rebel) Han Solo
  2. YT-2400(Neutral) Dash Rendar
  3. Firespray(Neutral) Boba Fett
  4. Aggressor (Neutral) IG-88
  5. YV-666(Neutral) Bossk
  6. JumpMaster500(Neutral) Dengar
  7. G1-A(Neutral) Zuckuss/4-LOM
  8. HWK-290(Rebel(NR)/Neutral) Kyle Katarn
  9. Sorosub 3000(Neutral/Rebel(NR)) Lando
  10. Lambda Shuttle(Empire)
  11. Sentinel Shuttle(Empire)

This is what I think be should the total run of Fighters/Transports in this game. I picked from the good EU sources only(Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire, Thrawn Thrilogy, Backgrounds of movie characters, X-Wing, and a few other fighters that didn't come from good stories but were interesting none the less). I personally don't think we need to expand this game past the Rebellion(New Republic) vs Empire era. The Clone Wars era is for the kids, Yuuzhan Vong only have three fighters and nobody is writing about them anymore, The Old Republic era is a cluster of a giant timeline, and the later Legacy/FOTJ eras aren't exactly appealing unless you talking about the Legacy comics and not the terrible novels. Obviously a few aren't exactly fighter type ships such as the shuttles and Lando's ship. This list doesn't include stuff that looks like exact duplicates of other starfighters such as the "hundreds" of X-wing series ships, and it doesn't include one-off ships that never appear again in the EU.

Overall this list can be shortened easily to just this

1. Tie Interceptor
2. Tie Bomber
3. Tie Defender
4. Preybird
5. Skipray
6. A-Wing
7. Z-95
8. B-Wing
9. E-Wing
10. R-41
11. YT-1300
12. YT-2400
13. HWK-290
14. Firespray
15. YV-666
16. Aggressor

Which would cover pretty much the most important starfighters/transports in the GCW era. This would give the game a total of 20 fighters.

plokoon9619 said:

1. Tie Interceptor
2. Tie Bomber
3. Tie Defender
4. Preybird
5. Skipray
6. A-Wing
7. Z-95
8. B-Wing
9. E-Wing
10. R-41
11. YT-1300
12. YT-2400
13. HWK-290
14. Firespray
15. YV-666
16. Aggressor

Which would cover pretty much the most important starfighters/transports in the GCW era. This would give the game a total of 20 fighters.

I am really digging this list. I like that the Bounty Hunters get some love. I had completely forgotten about the preybird, too. I noticed that except for the R-41 starchaser you didn't include any of the cool EU fighters from the TIE fighter video game (like the Gunboat, Missileboat, TIE avenger or T-wing). Does the R-41 pop up in other stories?

Parakitor said:

plokoon9619 said:

1. Tie Interceptor
2. Tie Bomber
3. Tie Defender
4. Preybird
5. Skipray
6. A-Wing
7. Z-95
8. B-Wing
9. E-Wing
10. R-41
11. YT-1300
12. YT-2400
13. HWK-290
14. Firespray
15. YV-666
16. Aggressor

I am really digging this list. I like that the Bounty Hunters get some love. I had completely forgotten about the preybird, too. I noticed that except for the R-41 starchaser you didn't include any of the cool EU fighters from the TIE fighter video game (like the Gunboat, Missileboat, TIE avenger or T-wing). Does the R-41 pop up in other stories?

R-41 pop ups as a early use starfighter for the alliance in TFU:2 which generally is a horrible source that should be forgotten but it looks good none the less seeing it at least used. It also pops up in Mysteries of the Sith expansion for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces. Also the TIE Defender is from Tie Fighter. The rest weren't included because I doubt we will receive more than 20 fighters in the next few years judging on how slowly developed their other fighter game is.