Anima: Beyond Science

By Reverare, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Anyone willing to look this over please do so and tell me whatyou think.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ybqfbyqenpsdpx5

i'm looking into meshing the Fantasy system with the Science system. I'm also hoping that What I've done with some feeed back from one of my players is to keep both systems as intact as they can be while using both. Of course no class in ether system has the same focus except in some skills. Out side of that one has supernatural and magic while the other dominantly has Technology. So I created another field called technological ability just like Supernatural Ability and Psychic Ability. And with some help from my friend tried to have a buy-in for technology abilities. To give you a quick run down of what is all in the excel sheet I have included the class CP costs that was created in the forum "class creation". That way anyone using it would be able to buy up or down abilities to create a custom class. IN that area I also included some of the Technology abilities and buy-in costs. The last page in that sheet is one that shows estimates of classes from fantasy and my friends estimate of beyond science. For my game I have few players that will be expected to handle greater and greater problems, including mundane. I assigned a total of 50 CP for creating custom class. While that number is higher than the fantasy estimates it is below the top end for science classes. Now to explain the first two pages in the excel sheet. First page that has a lot of green fields are active running calculations. If you change the level in the red field, everything that is based on your level will change. This is great for getting an idea on how much and where you have spent your points quickly. Think of the first page like a tally page. It does the work for the information you input on the second page. In the second page I have red field that are required for input. You would put in the cost of skills, abilities, or numbers, modifiers, stats, ect. And orange field representing the amounts you spend in development points each level. Also the yellow fields represent a number that will be a bonus each level you go up. Near the skills area I have 2 fields like this. 1) is right across from the skill and every time you go up a level it will be modified. 2) the area right across from the skill field (ie subterfuge, vigor, perception, creative, technology). If you enter a number in this field it will apply it to every skill in the field. I made the sheet with a bit of inputing work however the trade off in this is you can edit costs, buy down's/up's and change per level bonus's. Where in most sheets you can not. I tried to take into account module bonuses to mk as well as those that cost mk. It is easy enough to clear off everything from the values.cost page then save it as blank-ready to use class creator sheet. OH by the way another page that is on there is one that can help you keep track of what and where you got bonus cp from and where you spent your cp. it is more or less the rough blueprint of the custom class.

Be it posative or negative feed back please tell me what you think.

First off, could I please ask you to use paragraphing for long posts such as these, I had to reread the previous post several times, and I'm still not sure what you're asking.

Regarding the new 'Technological Field', I'd definitely say it's a good idea, as it was always intended to be a separately defined Primary Ability Field. If you're willing to put in some new classes and retrofit the old ones, you can slip in Sci-Fi fields into the Beyond Fantasy rules quite nicely. It's probably quicker than the reverse, to be honest.

The philosophy done, you can start costing the skills. For Fantasy classes, Technological skills should be exorbitant in cost, at least equivalent to Supernatural Abilities for a Warrior archetype. A quick and dirty fix would be to find the character's Sci-Fi analogue, Weaponmaster/Elite Trooper Super Soldier/Warrior Mentalist for example, and then buy abilities as if your character had levels in the analogue, paying double the normal cost in DP. A better answer would be to invest time into deciding exactly how much technology is present in your campaign, and costing it appropriately.

Having read the excel spreadsheet, I'm left scratching my head over what is going on. I'm not familiar with a 'point based class creation system' in Anima (in fact the idea that you can somehow introduce balance into the game at this point quite amuses me), so I can't really comment on that. I was skeptical of the value of such systems, but the findings roughly mirror those of my own group, that 'tech' types are significantly more powerful than 'genetic' ones, so it may have some value. For fantasy, the points based approach clearly has less relevance. Wizards are not weak in Anima, by any stretch of the imagination, and neither are Mentalists. Like in nearly all RPGs, mystical types quickly leave the warriors- and especially the skill users- in the dust.

Some smaller things, 'Physical Potential' no longer exists, and the character example, Elric, is a Mary Sue. Mechanically, you cannot put 1 rank into a secondary skill, they must at least start with 5, and if you put no points into the skill you receive a -30 penalty to the skill used.

I'm only so familiar with the Exel commands so to do some fancy editing of it is a little Beyond Me. There were somethings that I couldn't code in the excel sheet like the Secondary skills =0 then -30 to the total. Mostly the sheet is like a quick reference and build of a custom class. I mentioned how I wanted to mesh both the Fantasy and Science back around post 13. There is another section in this Anima:Beyond fantasy forum where someone did some ground work in order to tweek base classes. (Referencing Forum:http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=85&efcid=46&efidt=675185 ) So I took that idea an ran with it. Even if this is mostly for use in my game, I could imagen that someone some where MIGHT want to do something similar. However I also wanted to keep the spirit of the beyond Science system becouse I liked how it's looking. So Between the two I tried to Combine as much of it where I could. For example, in my game what will eventually happen is a slow transition into Beyond Science Game Rules (like: armor, damage barrier, ranged weapons). To start the characters have all beyond fantasy stuff so I will use the beyond fantasy Rules. As & if they get armor and or weapons then anything concerning those I will shift to beyond science rules.

I know that you took all the fantasy Supernatural and psychic stuff out. But as I said it will be a transition in where at a given point in time the players will be free to buy technology skills and make the shift. While In part I agree with them costing a lot if you buy it in for a class, but in at least this game I'm running I don't want it to be impossable for them to do something. I am going to play it out in my game that in heaven (where the beyond science is basicly located) there are people that have one, some or BOTH systems. The reason why I chose to do this is because in the core book it takes of earthly and heavenly things. And around page 253, where it talks of "The Technomagic" it starts off saying "All the Powers in the Shadow have mastery over science that escape our understanding." Now my idea taken from that area of the core book takes me to YOUR design of a Future science system. I absolutely LOVE the possabilitys and story design that can go into something like that. Of course I will play it out that some heavenly hosts specialize in one more than the other, while others blend a little. That way there is variety and leaves open some plot-twists. I do very much thank you for your insight into the science system. With out it I would have to completely adhock my desire to run a story like this and it wouldn't have the same impact.

Ballance I expect will be an ongoing thing I think. And I imagen that useing a class editing thing like this could completely throw any such notion of balance right out the window when trying to have say a lvl 1 vs lvl 1 edited class. However I intend to do whatever I can to both make sure the playing of the story is both fun and not completely broken. So I am trying to work extencively with the players to make sure the class they play is fun, exactly what they want, and eledgible for future development. I also have no hesitation about letting them walk into an ambush, and I will not pull punches when it comes to plot difficulty. Becaouse there are few PC's I also wanted to make sure they were not too week for what is planed. I expect that my ability to work the story on the fly will be as important as trying to keep the pc intentionally ballance when the time is right, and unballanced when it is also right.

Oh Elric was listed because I think it was his/her (Elric the profile) post that detailed most of the "Class creation" stuff, in that forum. So I wanted to recognize where I got that source information from. Where does it read you have to buy skills in sets of 5? I haven't seen that anywhere? However looking at the sample classes in the back of the book I see they all have skills in sets of 5…. So it's something I shouldn't let people do?….

Changing what coding is there is not something I'd find easy but if someone knows how to created the logic in excel's language then I'll do what I can to clean it up. I intended for the sheet to be changeable. In other words if you buy down one skill with "custom classes" then you could facter that in on the sheet. One thing that the character creatiors are good at is generic classes. Nothing modified or changeable. I wanted to make something you could change. SO I did what I could. Ideally first page did most of the math in keeping track of this mish mech of systems and the second page is where you could put in any value that could be changed with dp cost, and how much dp is spent. As well as keep track of bonuses that you would get every level. /shrug Guess it wasn't as clear as I hoped….

Ok, The Custom class area has been cleaned up, with a little help guide writen in. So hopefully it is detailed enough to look over see what I did, and then anyone could do that to make their own. After going back over the skills area I found a bunch of the formulas were linked to my test sheet. So I'm very sorry for any trouble on that. I really thought I had it ready to be tested on. So Now with those two areas in a functionable state, I emplore you once more if you have time please look it over and see if it is something you or anyone you know Might like to use. I deleted the old file and reposted the repaired file in this link… again sorry if i'm not very effective at presenting something like this.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?l2alq4936gqlt9q

I hope this is works, and is something that can be used. TY.

Ok… I've done vlookup tables so it can include movment speed, health, stat bonuses, fatigue, base magic, psy, ki. done up some code where anything that don't have at least 1 point in a skill gets a -30 to it. And for user friendly-ness tried to make sure you should only have to enter something 1 time inorder for it to be used on the rest of the document. This sheet looks only like a shadow of what it did and i'm hoping it is VERY user friendly. I did keep the colors red for neeeded input, orange for other input like DP spent and the like. The only area I'm not certain with is the beyond science. I'm hoping the Class points are close enough to work. Skills now include all magical, ki, along with the future and technelogical from beyond science. if there is any errors please let me know. I can't fix formula errors if I don't know they are there. to top it off there is even an additional area for non-primary/supernatural/psychic/technological dp, like that gained from blood of the beast. Everything should be totaled in correct areas and should NOW have a very through help explination if you have any trouble. I also thank my friend Zero for helping me with vlookup tables and for troubleshooting some areas that had formula errors.

Linked it up here. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?yy8gy589r37alyw

Honestly the sheet has far too much colour in it, which makes it down right painful to read. My suggestion is to make it mostly white and have the cells to be filled in with a single light colour. And if you really feel the need to colour code large sections of cells then make them light, soft colours so that it is easy on the eyes, not dark, heavy colours.

That is just from having a brief look at it and obviously regarding the aesthetics of the sheet. As for the workings if it I honestly have tried it out too much not am I likely too as I have my own spreadsheet based character generator that I have already spent hundreds of hours on over the past few years, bit I thought I would at least give you some advice of the aesthetics of the sheet.

Hey guys, is there any news of beyond science?

I just dicovered the supplement and I totally fellt in love with it, but is there any more advanced versions than the beta wich is showed in this topic?

I hope my message will be read by someone who have an answer ^^' ......

See you :)

Sorry to Necro-post, my bad, but I was planning on running a game that does blend the Beyond Fantasy and Beyond Science rules to a degree, mostly with the addition of cybernetic implants; the Prototype Development and Mechanical Engineering Primary skills and the addition of Tech Points. My main problem is that I have absolutely no experience with creating new character sheets using any programs, and I wanted the Equipment sheet (From the Core rules book) to feature locations for this, preferably replacing the Combat Equipment, the Varied Equipment and the notes sections on the old sheet.

Can anyone help me in some way, even if it is telling me how to make them myself?

Actually, forget my above post, found a simpler solution: Just write it in the notes page.