Anima: Beyond Science

By Reverare, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Anima: Beyond Science is a fan-made, non-profit supplement for the Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG, and was designed to give GMs everything they need to run Anima games based in futuristic settings. It's designed to be compatible with Beyond Fantasy, so you can mix and match aspects of each game as you require, which includes the Exxet series. Displacing Magic, Ki and Psionics are Genetics, Cybernetics, Technology, Precursor Technology, Robotics, Pharmaceuticals and Mastery Modules, which expands Training Modules beyond use in combat. There are currently 13 alien species, 10 new classes, 8 new secondary skills and scores of new training modules, weapons and armour.

The project currently stands at 120 pages, but is still under construction, so many sections are unfinished, and there's a lot of editing to be done. Despite this, I'd like to offer this link to general view for review. Because it's such a big project, there are quite a few issues to address, and I'd be grateful for any comments or criticisms.

You'll find the link here:

Beyond Science

looking incredibly interesting. i would be better able to give some feedback if i didn''t require a facebook account to download. i''ll try to take a better look later.

Wow! Amazing job, man! This thing is awesome! It''ll take some time reading through it, and I don''t know if I''m using it in the near future, but still it seems a very complete and interesting work!

I''ll be taking a look as I get a chance! I''ve recently had an idea for a campaign that would be set in the far future.

Well ive taken a look through the whole thing, and its been well worth taken a read. This will really help me out in the future im sure. Can''t wait for more to be added.

Thanks

Very nice work. Professional grade. Your artwork is amazing. I look forward to seeing your finished product. Are you going to have a section on Mechs?

There's a one-page section on Mechs in the current edition, p112, but it's little more than a few paragraphs on how to adapt the rules for robotics. Consider it to be a work-in-progress, with more yet to come, I intend it to be as big a section as star-ships.

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I just got back into Anima and came across this while looking around for homebrew material. Out of curiosity, is this project still being worked on?

Deffinately looking forward to using this LOVE scifi. I'd feel more comfortable doing so once i have more experience with the current system before reviewing or branching out to anything else.

Better to have a good foundation then a tall building thats just gonna fall.

Nurddude said:

While I have no idea if the project is still being worked on, I do know that they came out with another draft:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69505717/Anima-Beyond-Science

The one originally linked was a beta.

After looking back at the files, I would like to say that I may be wrong. While the beta was removed from it, I think that the Beta is newer? Not sure if it is just a naming error, but I think there is more in the beta.

Indeed, the beta was intended as a 'test' version for the playtesting, and is the most recent version available.

Scribd does require 'premium' membership to download the pdf, but allows you to view without it. They also allow you to download if you have uploaded something yourself.

Hey guys/gals,

I've been wondering if there are many others that like to cross worlds, span options (old tech, new tech), that are willing to cross midevil dungeons castlse with future robot flying mech thing.

To get to the point I have a couple of thoughts I would like to span this beyond science with the older magic era of beyond fantasy.

Q1.Does anyone know if the systems over lap well at all or not?

Like wise Most of the players I know LOVE to completely customize their character with their own "specialty" in mind. I would point at the other area in the forum where they talk about breaking main classes down into a point system and then permiting some slight alterations.

Q2.Has anyone on here considered doing something like that (class creation) with the Beyond science?

( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=85&efcid=46&efidt=675185 ) under "class creation"

I have already had players interested in taking points in something like Tech jocky 1,2,3 +(50/100/150) tech points. Has anyone playtested meshing like that. I have to wonder myself becouse there are somethings that stand out as interesting to me too.

After reading through it quite thoroughly, I would say that the Beyond Science system is a world in and of itself. The weapons pierce through Fantasy armours and have ranges that would totally throw off a normal campaign. If you were to have one of your players do this (I would only suggest letting one person per campaign), I would make them in some way affiliated with The Powers. Depending on what you have open available to them, you may have to change some of the Science items stats, and I would suggest a level mod for such characters.

Nurddude said:

After reading through it quite thoroughly, I would say that the Beyond Science system is a world in and of itself. The weapons pierce through Fantasy armours and have ranges that would totally throw off a normal campaign. If you were to have one of your players do this (I would only suggest letting one person per campaign), I would make them in some way affiliated with The Powers. Depending on what you have open available to them, you may have to change some of the Science items stats, and I would suggest a level mod for such characters.

difference Fantasy Science

I also do no think that the setting were meant to be mixed as is. I am saying that you could use Beyond Science as a template if you have a player who wanted access to, say, Technomagic.

I guess i'll give you the skippy of my thoughts…

Yes there are things that just don't mesh… i've noticed it too. But some of the things I would like to be able to transition into has to do with going from fantasy to science. Useing some suggested theme stuff from the book, it appears that they were hinting at gods or beings that ascended into higher plains that had much greater powers. I don't really have the time right now to get into that but there are celestial groups that I intend to elevate the game to incorprate. Of course as you said the armor, and the weapons are very much a Caliber above the other, but that in it's own right would give it a divine "look" when compaired. Shortly the game wouldn't stay in such a world but would infact continue to visit over and over again. Latter if/when do more with mech type stuff and ships then sure By then I should have to have players use divine weapons, armors, "Technology" even if their larger background is that of the OLD- world below. There are transitions such as ranged weapons and guns and things that eventually rely on how far can you actually see to shoot something at a target, but I look at it as a transition rather than sudden slap in the face to the players. Besides nothing like an underdog group standing before a big mech and needing to stop it….. The players love anime-style and of course massive challenges to overcome. Loss is only defined by how you overcome it.

This sounds like a very interesting story line. If you ever run into any trouble trying to incorporate it or just want to run it by someone, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I would be very interested in how it plays out. **** luck!

As requested, a free download link for Beyond Science .

Cause I'm limited in time and space here I'll just spit out what I could as effective as possable.

Cause I'm limited in time and space here I'll just spit out what I could as effective as possable.

Few things that seems to be a little mysterious Prototype Development (PrD) pg 7. (( http://www.mediafire.com/view/?17942fh8otm3k18 )) or in page 6 in version 5. Q1. Is it a skill? like what is on page 37 of the beta? just not listed? And lastly how is it used/ OR What effect does it have in the game?

Technology section is pg 80 start --- 87… Where it talks about Cost of technology. Last comment on that page is

((( Inventors with Mastery in Prototype Development reduce the time required by one half. ))) This comment suggesting that it is a skill like everything else listed on page 37 "" New Skill Fied: Technical ""

Q2 SO… How does one ACTUALLY use the Technical Points? Accumulate points then reduce them in "buying" an item… then temporarily invest an equal amount of the item in order to "use it" in example … to get it to work.

comment in general: as far as my story or idea-where they generated from-- The Heaven Order "pg 243" core book mentions Knights of heaven, positions that different people hold. In the next page under "Samael" the book mentions War of God… later section Entitled "The Fallen Angels"…. Skipp ahead to page 252 then starts to detail The Technomagic talking about Machinery and early on mentions they have been able to combine supernatural powers with technology and biology, creating an art which they call Technomagic. THUS I fancy some of the ideas that begin to mesh the "Beyond Fantasy" with " "Beyond Science". In my story those of heaven would have that what would be like magic compaired to those found in a broken world. (in my story all the mystical races have been split appart from normal human life seperated by the world of the Wake (spirit world). Humans live on the ground and all the world of the mystical races live their lives on floating islands that drift above and an abandoned lifeless land that is so completely overcast with black clouds. (That is the general World Senario that exists in my game. ) Of course the conflict that is arising is that where some beings from both sides have been finding an occasional way through the wake and finding themselves in an alien land. Of course none of those go well. Mystical creatures can't last long in a land that has been "magicless" for centuries. And any normal person suddenly finding themself in a land of "monsters" would likely go a little mad.

In response to your question.

Prototype Development is a Primary Skill. It is used (surprisingly enough) to make, repair and understand prototype equipment. Otherwise, you must find or purchase Prototype equipment during play. Creating or repairing Prototype equipment requires a Prototype Development check, as shown in the Prototype Section, and costs CR as shown.

You can possess as much prototype equipment as you can get your hands on, but can only use prototypes in play with a TP cost equal to your total TP allowance per session. Prototype equipment that does not have TP 'invested' in it does not function, but (most) Prototype equipment with TP invested in it can be used by anyone, so you can give someone else your energy shield, and they can use it without having to spend any of their own TP. TP points not used are not carried over to the next session. You cannot 'deinvest' equipment, the TP remains invested until the end of the session, even if it is subsequently lost or destroyed. You cannot receive TP from other characters, nor can they help you invest in your Prototype equipment with their own TP.

The best way to think of it is as Floating Martial Knowledge that renews each session, you pay the TP cost of the equipment at the beginning of the session, or during the session. You don't have to accumulate anything like it were zeon.

As to whether Beyond Science is compatible with Beyond Fantasy, it was certainly intended to be- see the Introduction. As noted, the difference in power levels between the two systems is considerable in places, and there may be some confusion resulting from the two combining. I do not see this as being necessarily a bad thing however, I always wanted magic to be a more mysterious force in the Beyond Science setting. Further, I did not want to make combining magic and science easy for a player. Instead, I wanted to define their abilities as mutually exclusive, ala A Certain Magical Index.

For a DM though, It should be quite easy to slot in magic into Beyond Science, you can just slip in excerpts from Beyond Fantasy and ad hoc some point costs for things like MA, Psychic Points and so on.

Love the idea, and i know several people who play with me who would love this too.

Reverare said:

In response to your question.

Prototype Development is a Primary Skill. It is used (surprisingly enough) to make, repair and understand prototype equipment. Otherwise, you must find or purchase Prototype equipment during play. Creating or repairing Prototype equipment requires a Prototype Development check, as shown in the Prototype Section, and costs CR as shown.

You can possess as much prototype equipment as you can get your hands on, but can only use prototypes in play with a TP cost equal to your total TP allowance per session. Prototype equipment that does not have TP 'invested' in it does not function, but (most) Prototype equipment with TP invested in it can be used by anyone, so you can give someone else your energy shield, and they can use it without having to spend any of their own TP. TP points not used are not carried over to the next session. You cannot 'deinvest' equipment, the TP remains invested until the end of the session, even if it is subsequently lost or destroyed. You cannot receive TP from other characters, nor can they help you invest in your Prototype equipment with their own TP.

The best way to think of it is as Floating Martial Knowledge that renews each session, you pay the TP cost of the equipment at the beginning of the session, or during the session. You don't have to accumulate anything like it were zeon.

As to whether Beyond Science is compatible with Beyond Fantasy, it was certainly intended to be- see the Introduction. As noted, the difference in power levels between the two systems is considerable in places, and there may be some confusion resulting from the two combining. I do not see this as being necessarily a bad thing however, I always wanted magic to be a more mysterious force in the Beyond Science setting. Further, I did not want to make combining magic and science easy for a player. Instead, I wanted to define their abilities as mutually exclusive, ala A Certain Magical Index.

For a DM though, It should be quite easy to slot in magic into Beyond Science, you can just slip in excerpts from Beyond Fantasy and ad hoc some point costs for things like MA, Psychic Points and so on.

I'm not trying to adgitate but follow along with responces, Maybe it could help clean up the book or fix my visual issues.

I've been looking over the beta & 5.o versions for what you were talking about. Here is all I've found in regards to Prototype Development + Technology Points. (Will use Beta pages & version unless other wise noted).

Prototype development References Pg. 7 (Prd), Pg. 87 (Last Sentence), Pg.108 (Robotics) NOTE: v.5.0 Robotics uses Mechanical Engineering.

Technological Points : pg. 7. (same area as PhD), pg. 37 relates to technology, pg 87 (the cost of technology)

(Notes: Only chart on any of those is the chart in the robitics section (pg 108; beta vs.), beta version ends pg 118 with pictures, 5.0 on pg 99 (the rim), while Robotics in beta uses prototype development in beta, 5.0 uses mechanical engineering, IF Mech Eng is no longer used for robotics in beta what is it used for (ie replaces forge or.. ) ?

Ok that's all i've found in the books and hope that helps explain why i'm a little confused with mechanics of the game… So following with what you said Prototype Development (PhD) is essencially a Primary skill so Developing points are counted when totalling attack/defence/modules/wear armor or in beyond fantasy atk/def/wa/modules/Mk/mkAcu/ect. So what happen to mechanical engineering/ what is it used for/ is the 108 (robotics chart) the chart that is used for PhD checks? Am I following along ok?

Following is what a friend tossed together to Mimic the Class creation Forum for our game, to intregrate "that" with "this"

Calculated the rough CP values of the Future Classes
G Potential = Buy-in 1CP + 1/5 (max 50)
Cy Potential = Buy-in 1CP + 1/5 (max 50)
TP = But-in 2CP + 2/5 (max 75) I REDUCE THIS TO 1/5 IN PARENTHESIS DUE TO BALANCING ISSUES YOU WILL NOTE
Adapt = 1 + 2/1 (max2)
Integ = 1 + 2/1 (max2)
Below are the class values (I have the fixed class values in parenthesis after i changed the TP cost, It seems closer this way, but still up to you)They are in order that the book lists them
Elite Trooper : 50
Co: 57 (52)
Cy: 57 (52)
Super Soldier: 38
Ace Pilot: 57.5 (52.5)
Operative: 56 (51)
Scientist 65 ( 55 )
Evolutionary: 37.5
Scum: 39.5
Bounty Hunter: 53.5 (48.5)
So as you can see, these classes are higher CP rated than the Fantasy ones. I think the TP cost should be 2 buy-in and 1CP/5TP after that. I also do not plan on doing anything with Cybernetics or Genetics.