Stuck on the roof??

By just Logan, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Repost to proper forum

all from Op Cerberus)-

*"If a squad is on the roof of a structure, it is considered to be outside of that structure" p.14

*"In order to enter (or exit) a structure, a unit must go through an entrance. This can be adoor or a window (during a firefight, soldiers can leap through a window in search ofcover). Units can only enter a structure from the ground floor." p15

*"Units inside a structure can also move onto the structure’s roof by moving up from the topfloor of that structure." p.15

Just climb down the freaking stairs...

Loophole Master said:

Just climb down the freaking stairs...

[/quote

I honestly didn't expect that kind of answer from loop.

Dakkon426 said:

I honestly didn't expect that kind of answer from loop.

There's a limit to being a loophole master ;-) I love discussing holes in the rules that leave things open to interpretation or generate potentially hazardous exploits or whatever. But then there plain old common sense. Even if the rules tie themselves in a bunch, I'm sure you can manage to climb down from the roof if you somehow made your way up there.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't see the value of bringing up this sort of holes, even if it's just for humour's sake. But it's just a common occurance where the people creating the rules are too close to it to realize they've created a bit of nonsense either by omission or by the interrelation of rules. Just this past week I prevented an upcoming boardgame from having a hole in the rules that allowed you to drive a car into a building and from room to room. Might have been fun, but certainly not in the spirit of the game.

wait...

if they're on top, they're outside...

does this mean a walker, could be deployed on the roof? or a walker with jump could simply jump onto the roof?

Theoretically you could deploy a walker onto the roof, yes. But by the rules a walker can't jump onto the roof. Both because Jump units can't jump onto roofs, and because walkers can't jump over buildings.

Loophole Master said:

Theoretically you could deploy a walker onto the roof, yes. But by the rules a walker can't jump onto the roof. Both because Jump units can't jump onto roofs, and because walkers can't jump over buildings.

The rules would keep them from jumping and landing on the roof, but they could move around the unit as their Move 2 is not specifically tied to their Jump ability.

Vehicles on buildings get weird only because of the new SSU air transported walkers.

I would not allow any unit to deploy to a point it couldn't move to. Walkers specifically need big doors to enter or leave a building, so the climbing to the roof option doesn't give them a normal way to get there.

Common sense says a walker couldn't stand on the roof of a building simply because few buildings are built to handle that kind of weight in a small area. Of course, walkers should have more problems simply maneuvering in mud than any normal armored vehicle, but that's minor compared to a rooftop.

Soviet walkers coming in by air, however, do need clarification on whether they can be deployed to a rooftop, because there are currently no rules to stop that.

They haven't really covered much with Walkers and buildings because, right now, there aren't really buildings for them to go into. It seems like they just laid down a few little bits in the rules knowing they would update them later. As for the jumping over a unit on the roof it would only ever be necessary if it was a very full building-if you couldn't move around them on the roof you could go directly below them and around that way, so the unit would have to be surrounded by their allies on 2 floors for it to matter.