Question thread for those with the book already

By blkdymnd, in Dust Warfare

I know that this has been discussed before, but something has been bothering me. I don't have the rule book yet, so i'm hoping to get an answer from someone who does.

So, you are allowed 2 support units for each section you take per platoon. so if you take a command section along with 4 other sections, you are allowed up to 2 walkers and/or sniper squad/ observer squad.

My question is, if you notice the example army list in that preview, the first build is a command section,3 normal sections, 3 support (2 light walkers and a sniper squad) plus a platoon upgrade.

what is allowing the 3rd support unit in the list?

X7XsnowmanX7X said:

what is allowing the 3rd support unit in the list?

I believe it's having a command squad in the command section (as opposed to having a hero there.)

Actually, I think they screwed up. As near as I can tell, it should have only been allowed two support choices.

Allies and Axis command squads can get an additional support unit per command squad. The unit can only be an observer or sniper team

Ah, okay. I screwed up, then.

Very cool. Thanks guys.

I was getting a little confused over their preview but it makes sense now.

oh, on saves. Do you roll to save against the hit or the damage?

Snowshadow said:

oh, on saves. Do you roll to save against the hit or the damage?

There is no rolling to hit then Damage there is just one simple roll for both any successes are wounds.

i think you may have miss understood the question. he is asking if the save are agaist the hits or the damage. ie a panzerfaust hits a tank the weapon dose 3 damage for a hit is 1dice rolled or are 3 dice rolled?

Dakkon426 said:

i think you may have miss understood the question. he is asking if the save are agaist the hits or the damage. ie a panzerfaust hits a tank the weapon dose 3 damage for a hit is 1dice rolled or are 3 dice rolled?

Interesting question. Not even sure how that applies in Dust Tactics. I would assme it is against the hit.

I think its against the Damage honestly. I can check into this more though.

"After damage has been inflicted by an attack, the defending player rolls a number of Combat Dice equal to the unit's Armor rating to defend against the damage. A Soldier 2 unit would therefore roll two dice. Each (insert die hit icon) scored on the armor roll will negate a single point of damage."

Page 43

Hope that answers the question.

Dcal12 said:

"After damage has been inflicted by an attack, the defending player rolls a number of Combat Dice equal to the unit's Armor rating to defend against the damage. A Soldier 2 unit would therefore roll two dice. Each (insert die hit icon) scored on the armor roll will negate a single point of damage."

Page 43

Saw that today, which isnt a game breaker. Soldiers usually only take #/1 damage anyway, and at least walkers can finally use cover so its still an improvement for them.

Dcal12 said:

Page 43

No, not really not unless you want to roll 20+ sided die. With this system they are just trying to keep things alive longer without changing the dice rolling mechanics.

Well got my book and I like what I am reading, Death Dealers and Bot Hunters get UGLs, Zombies are Armor 2, FFG did a great job on this. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

So they boosted the allies units and nerfed the Axis Units... I had no problem dealing with zombies in tactics don't know why they would nerf them. I definatly think they over boosted the UGLs but they did need a buff. the what else did they mess with?

I wouldn't say nerfed, they changed the Zombies, I think it makes the Gorillas more worth while the Gorillas and Zombies both have a lot of interesting rules and they split the knife and grenade into to separate weapons, so no Armor 2 Infantry can hurt the Gorillas in or any Armor 3 Infantry. The Axis Tank Hunters keep the battle grenadiers panzerfuast. So there's good stuff on all sides.

It sounds like there are way too many changes in unit stats and rules overall to say any unit got "nerfed" without actually playing the game a few times.

Another big change is UGLs and Panzerfaust are now reload weapons, so they are not one shots anymore, that's a big change. Also I know you asked about vehicle damage before. The vehicle gets a armor save equal to it's value 1, 2 and so on. If at least 1 damage gets through you then roll a number of dice equal to the total hits and the number of hits you get determines additional vehicle damage. Example Pounder hits a Hans in soft cover. The Pounder scores 4 hits, cover reduces it by one, the Han's player rolls 3 dice for armor 3 and gets 1 hit. 2 hits get through to the Hans, then the Pounder's player would roll 3 dice on vehicle damage. It's reduced to 3 because of cover, but saves on the armor roll do not reduce it further. result on the damage table go from not getting a benefit from sustain fire, weapon destroyed, or losing the ability to roll armor saves for example. Also if in the rear arc of a vehicle it gets no armor save, only cover if it has any.

SGTManuel said:

The vehicle gets a armor save equal to it's value 1, 2 and so on. If at least 1 damage gets through you then roll a number of dice equal to the total hits and the number of hits you get determines additional vehicle damage. Example Pounder hits a Hans in soft cover. The Pounder scores 4 hits, cover reduces it by one, the Han's player rolls 3 dice for armor 3 and gets 1 hit. 2 hits get through to the Hans, then the Pounder's player would roll 3 dice on vehicle damage. It's reduced to 3 because of cover, but saves on the armor roll do not reduce it further. result on the damage table go from not getting a benefit from sustain fire, weapon destroyed, or losing the ability to roll armor saves for example. Also if in the rear arc of a vehicle it gets no armor save, only cover if it has any.

I don't think this is quite right... using your example...

The pounder scores 4 hits
The hans gets to roll 4 dice for it's armour save (3base +1 for cover)
2 hits get through so the hans has 1DC left
The pounder rolls 3 dice (4 original hits -1 for cover) on the damage chart.

"Also if in the rear arc of a vehicle it gets no armor save, only cover if it has any." - again not quite accurate, if the attacking unit has more than 50% of it's force completely in the rear arc it gets no armour save.

Soft Cover is one auto success added on so not an extra dice (When a unit benefiting from Soft Cover makes its Armor roll, it is treated as having scored an additional hit.) pg 43, and I was just stating that a vehicle that gets attacked from the rear it gets no armor save. But yes the attacking unit has to be have more then 50% of its models in the rear arc to count.

SGTManuel said:

Soft Cover is one auto success added on so not an extra dice (When a unit benefiting from Soft Cover makes its Armor roll, it is treated as having scored an additional hit.) pg 43, and I was just stating that a vehicle that gets attacked from the rear it gets no armor save. But yes the attacking unit has to be have more then 50% of its models in the rear arc to count.

Aha! I stand corrected, when we first read the rules we took cover as adding 1 or 2 dice to the armour roll.. I see that's wrong... you are correct.. Makes cover much much much more important :) auto reducing damage is awesome.

thanks!

Dakkon426 said:

are there any abilities with drastic changes between tactics and warfare?

There are lots!

Frenzy only allows hits to be re-rolled once. Lasers have the same limitation. No more "infinite" damage in Warfare.

Badass allows you to always take an action regardless of suppression or reaction markers.

Bluetkreuz Apes can climb and apes and zombies ignore suppression.

Sniper doesn't allow you to choose your target, but it does ignore cover and the target's armor!

Actually almost all of the abilities have changed, as have weapon abilities. You should also note that units whose effectiveness have been reduced also have a large cost reduction from Tactics. Someone mentioned the zombies are now armor 2. They are also much cheaper while the apes are almost the same price.

parcival42 said:

Dakkon426 said:

Frenzy only allows hits to be re-rolled once. Lasers have the same limitation. No more "infinite" damage in Warfare.

So what happens if you sustain attack with lasers?

Edit:

Also does a Hero take up the command section or can you take a command squad and a hero?