New players: burned?

By mikelosaurus2, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I can say you what I feel... I feel as a fool who trusted company investeted 1000 of $ for product which was cancelled with one decision. My reaction: I never spend single cent for this game any more. I found much better CCG: L5R. I play competitive L5R and even my meta is going slowly from AGOT to this direction. I put all my cards for sale except all targ and Lanni cards to have 2 legacy decks and two LCG only to play with my local meta. I will not attend any tournament in AGOT any more. I was never treated like this and in my opinion rule is rule and must be kept. ITE should rotate in summer next year the same with FKE summer in two years. They don;t keep rules they loose customers simple. And in my eyes no game will exist on the market without us seriuos fans which spends salaries for products. Who makes fools from their customers knows how it ends in. This is how I felt and how I feel after couple of months, nothing has changed besides I should thank FFG because I found L5R which in my opinion is more interesting and tactical.

Secondly current pour card pool, no synenergy, low chapter pack quality, not consistent design, no plots at all is not something which can attract experienced TCG players comparing what we had before. So even from player point of view game is niot interesting for me any more. Even classic was killed and instead we've got highlander which again can;t build synenergy between cards and consistent strategy. How to play Eyrie in highlander ? one copy, first plot Wghose name and thanks for rest ??? joke? never mind both formats are for amatours or really players who fall in love with a book character or with game rules ... I don;t know... this is only my opinion that's all

FFG made mistakes and some stupid decisions on their way, but I don't care anymore. I am not going to rotate my cards out, nor other players in my meta. Chapter Packs, as an expansion to 5K and ITE blocks, work just fine for me. Even the white borders do not bother me that much anymore, because what can I do about it? [use a black marker lol].

I just want to play and enjoy the game. My complains would not change much in its present situation, so why whining? "WHY SO SERIOUS?"

I decided because the older cards are so much cheaper, that i will be only playing the classic game. Screw the LCG, why should I spent $40 on 4 decks and a board? Why spend $11 a month on 40 cards to "improve" my living card game. I just picked up like 700 different cards across numerous sets, and picked up ITE/5k2 starter packs, and a legacy deck for super cheap during the sale.

I can play the game with these cards in numerous ways, so if I want to sell some I can, and if I want to bring others in to play I can.

People need to realize TCG/CCG never hold their value long term, ever. Only if the game is a humongous success, and the cards are truly rare and not rereleased, but MTG is a special case and will not be rerepeated. Even super rares in Naruto aren't going for more than $20 any more and that game is one of the most played in the world.

RainwoodKnight said:

People need to realize TCG/CCG never hold their value long term, ever. Only if the game is a humongous success, and the cards are truly rare and not rereleased, but MTG is a special case and will not be rerepeated. Even super rares in Naruto aren't going for more than $20 any more and that game is one of the most played in the world.

You don;t know YGO there are several cards for 100 e which keeps value currently. But returning to the subject. YES I agree but when I make investment I should know for how long. I bought ITE + FKE for 1000 e almost knowing than I will play ITE till next Summer and 5KE till 2010. Then someone threw away all rules and just said forgot about them. We want to attract game to new players and we don;t care about old once. This is very unfair for us old customers and fans of this game. Some people don;t care...I love this game and doesn;t matter how I will be treated by producer, some care and left a game.

As I said before they could do this in normal matter just leaving current standard for another 2 years and easily evolve NOT REVOLVE to new era... or implement some bonus system...eg for each rare send to them ftrom ITE block 1 $ or whatever. They could do this but they Didn;t. Now we can decide how to pay for this.

Funny thing is that they claimed LCG is cheap and easy to jump in. Let's calculate. New player now to seriously start playing needs:

3x 30 $ core set

9 x 30 $ 9 chapter packs plus shipping

It gives just now 360 - 400 $ just now but imagine after 1 year.... hehehe we will get soon more than 1000 $ to jump in... Well done game is now realy chaep and easy to start.

Berto, I just don't understand why you keep coming here and complaining. Do you enjoy it? If you don't like the game, stop playing. If you like the game, play it the way you want. The only reason to play it FFG's official way is if you want to participate in their sponsored OP events.

And, for the record, the new LCG format is cheaper. I have bought over 5 boxes of Five Kings, and still do not have full playsets. At that price, I have spent around $500+, just for one set. House of Thorns I bought 3 boxes = $300+, House of Talons 3 boxes = $300+. No full play sets of those either. Not to mention countless booster packs.

3 Core Sets at $40 each = $120. Cheaper than any set purchase, and full play sets.

Clash of Arms Chapter packs, $10 each, x3, for 6 packs = $180. Still less than 2 boxes of an expansion.

Future 6 Chapter Pack expansions = $180 for full playsets.

Plus, I am only dropping $30 each month. I would often spend more than that a week on boosters. And if I'm not all that thrilled by a Chapter Pack, I'll buy 2 of them.

Also, Game of Thrones was one of the cheapest booster prices, the only game I can think of that was (and is) cheaper is Vampire: TES. Most games sell for $4 a pack, and serious players buy either multiple boxes or multiple singles (for games where that is an option). I know you like to go on about how you got hundreds, if not thousands, of common and uncommon singles at tournaments and the like, but how does that help FFG? A game company will only continue to make a game if they are making money off of it. Sure, players can get the cards real cheap that wa, but soon enough there is no new product. If you want a game to continue, you have to purchase it. I enjoy GoT, and I will keep purchasing the new product. I may not be incredibly happy over the limited LCG card pool at present, but I do believe that the game will see the variety of deck builds as more and more Chapter Packs are released. And I still play with my older cards, and build decks when the time and inspiration hit me. And I do not feel as if I have wasted any of my money on Game of Thrones, even when I bought a box of Song of Twilight in July, knowing it would rotate in August, or when I bought 4 more boxes for the FFG sale in December, knowing that most of what I pulled would be redundant in Legacy format. Many of us have created house/meta formats that we want to play, and that's what we're going to do.

I hope you enjoy L5R. I spent around $100 on that game about 4 years ago, but couldn't get anyone else interested in playing. I'm not sure where those cards are anymore, but I don't consider it money wasted. Even if I never once actually played the game. Somewhere I even have a Box of Greed. If I ever find some L5R players in my area, I hope to give it away to them (now, there's an idea for older GoT cards to promote the Legacy format...).

Just to throw my two cents in as a relatively new player... back when AGoT was a CCG, I learned how to play the game, and it quickly became my favorite game that I had ever played. However, due to the high financial cost of playing a CCG, I only played with other people's cards, and was never able to purchase any of my own. When I heard that FFG was becoming an LCG, I rejoiced, because I was finally able to acquire cards of my own at a price I could afford.

Since then, I have two Core sets, and one of each of the Time of Ravens chapter packs. I consider myself a "white-bordered only" player, and won't buy the older chapter packs, because they look different, and are largely created to be used with 5KE, which I do not have.

As a new player, I do not feel burned, and I enjoy that I can continue to add to my limited collection when I feel there are cards that would help my decks. And believe me, with just the limited card pool that I have, I am able to build fun and competitive decks that capture the feel of A Song of Fire and Ice, and AGoT LCG.

Total investment: approx. $100.

I was able to re -introduce the game to a player of old, and teach a new player, only familiar with the novels, last week.

They both thoroughly enjoyed our games. We only used the core decks and switched around who used what house in our 3 player games. Every game was tense, fairly well balanced and a lot of fun. The only difference in balance was that I am more readily familiar with how to play well, and that's one of the reasons AGoT has always been tops in my book. Skill does matter. But that's a discussion for a different time/thread.

The point is, the core set was very well received; by myself, a veteran game of throner, a friend who had played upon a time, but had been away for awhile, and a noob at this particular card game. All of us thought it was superb .

I, for one, look forward to more CPs and I may even pick up a 2nd core set to leave intact...so I can fool around with tweaking those decks.