Concerning Psychic Powers

By Kiwamu, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

I've two questions concerning psychic powers. The questsions occurded to me, because I'm not a native english speaker. Thanks for anyone who helps me out.

Rulebook p. 185 Focus Power Test: "You may add a bonus to your Focus Power Test equal to 5 times the Psy Rating used for the power." Since a small part before covers opposed test, does this bonus only apply to opposed psychic power, or everytime the psyker uses a power?

Rulenbook p. 186 Unnatural Characteristics: "Characters with Unnatural Willpower may add the multiplier to their Psy Rating" If I understand this correctly If a creature with Psy Rating 4 and Unnatural Willpower (x3) He can add +3 to his PsyRating (boosting it two 7). Can he also use these 7 to get the bonus to his Focus Power Test, as described above?

Kiwamu said:

I've two questions concerning psychic powers. The questsions occurded to me, because I'm not a native english speaker. Thanks for anyone who helps me out.

Rulebook p. 185 Focus Power Test: "You may add a bonus to your Focus Power Test equal to 5 times the Psy Rating used for the power." Since a small part before covers opposed test, does this bonus only apply to opposed psychic power, or everytime the psyker uses a power?

Rulenbook p. 186 Unnatural Characteristics: "Characters with Unnatural Willpower may add the multiplier to their Psy Rating" If I understand this correctly If a creature with Psy Rating 4 and Unnatural Willpower (x3) He can add +3 to his PsyRating (boosting it two 7). Can he also use these 7 to get the bonus to his Focus Power Test, as described above?

The bonus from your psy rating can be used with any Focus Power Test, it doesn't need to be an opposed test, but it can also be used with that too.

Characters with unnatural Willpower may add the multiplier to their Psy Rating and as the Psy Rating is used to determine the bonus for Focus Power Test it will effect that too. For example, a psyker has a PR of 4 and Unnatural Willpower (x3) can alter the result by 35 for any Focus Power Test.

So to sum up:

Everytime.

Yes.

So if I understand this right.

Lets say that a Psyker has a power level 3. Had a natural willpower of 45, but then bought the advances for charactistics to give +20 for a willpower of 65. When he cast a power at the push level (+3 psy) then his effective willpower check would be vs 95?

And if that is true, then a psy with a natural psy rating of 4, pushing with willpower 65 will always be successful in manfesting the power?

Skunk Bottom said:

So if I understand this right.

Lets say that a Psyker has a power level 3. Had a natural willpower of 45, but then bought the advances for charactistics to give +20 for a willpower of 65. When he cast a power at the push level (+3 psy) then his effective willpower check would be vs 95?

And if that is true, then a psy with a natural psy rating of 4, pushing with willpower 65 will always be successful in manfesting the power?

Yes, assuming the psychic power doesn't apply a negative to the test (might not be in DW though, can't remember).

This is ok when you realize that pushing is a very, very, very, very bad idea to do in any situation that isn't already dire. And even then, it has a strong chance of making the situation even more dire.

Yes a psyker can take plenty of options to mitigate the effects of phenomena, but eventually that Perils roll will come up.

Ok cool.

I have one other question. I see that smite benefits from things that would normally modify BS tests. But it also states that the power must be targeted on a single creature.

So my question is this, is a horde considered a single creature for the purpose of psy powers?

And if so does the horde Mag to-Hit modifer ( page 359) apply to the Smite BS modifers?

Example : Lib tries to smite horde mag 40 from High ground (+10 to hit mod) with a fettered smite with a natural willpower of 45.

1st can the lib target the horde with the smite? And if so then how does the focus power test compute?

Is it roll vs WP (45) + 10 (from High ground) ?

Or

Is it roll vs WP (45) +10 (from High ground) + 30 ( horde mag size) ?

You can cast smite on a horde (with all the bonuses). Its wording on a "single creature" is there to prevent players from targetting the air in such a way as to hit enemies with the blast but avoid allies. The hordes rules have specific wording regarding psychic powers against them. I don't think it matters with Smite as its an offensive power, but I'd look over it.

That said, I would leave it up to the GM to determine the blast location against a horde, with reference to hitting allies/other targets.

Thanks for all the replies. It really has cleared some things up for me.

Skunk Bottom said:

I think thats no true, a Focus Power roll of 91-100 always fails (Book Page 185)

That's not true. I know I'm necro posting but this is something that is relevant to me at the moment and it's the most recent post I can find on it.

Fettered, Unfettered, and Push only apply to the PR rating of range, effect, duration, damage, and etc. that the psychic power manifesting would cause. But it does not apply to the WP test to succeed in manifesting it. Read through the text on Push on p185. It says nothing about the WP test to succeed, even in the example given to succeed.

This was indeed clarified by Tim (FFG).

Question was, "Does +3 Psy rating from pushing add +15 to focus power tests, or simply the power's effect?"

Answer:

"You do, in fact, add the +15 Bonus to the Focus Power Test.

Thank you for your question,

Tim"