New heroes

By Jafix, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Ok, here is mostly speculations and putting small pieces of information together.

What we know is, that there will be 8 new hereos. We also know that there will be 4 classes and each class can take two routes. We all know about warrior examle when warrior can be berserk or knight.

So, 8 heores / 4 classes = 2 heroes per class. Then 2 heroes per class / 2 subclass. So i can assume that every single hero in new box will be representative for each sub class in the game.

Now, lets sum up information about heroes.

We all know Leroic of the book, (mage) and Widow Tarha (possibly a healer... maybe mage)

What left is two miniautres which are shown in that gaming magazine (link here : http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1249367/shnar )

Those two are definetly payable.

That big guy with mace, lets call him Billy the Mace (warrior - knight) and small guy with knife, lets call him Oliver Twist. (LINK: http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/58/591?articleID=117244 )

I will ignore characters printed on box due to the fact that first descent first edition box have characters from tomb of ice on it.

What is left are that beautiful Elf Lady (scout), Dwarf (Fighter Berserker) and some blue character which can be seen on table on http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1249367/shnar

Blue = Healer of mage.

Now, lets summarize

Fighters : Billy the mace (knight) X Dwarf (berserker)

Scouts : Elf Lady (archer) X Oliver Twist (rogue/assasin?)

Mages : Leroic of the book (sage) X blue guy on the poster (elementalist)

Healers : Widow Tarha (Shaman) X Great Unknown (bard or priest)

And i bet my overlord mug that i am 50% accurate :)

What is bugging me is which class will be guys Battle Mage Johnas or other characters which are not pure class oriented :)

Well, i was hoping for edit option.... sorry for the format guys :(

I'm pretty sure the sub-classes will be optional. ie: Any "Warrior" class character could choose to go either "Berserker" or "Knight" when he reaches the appropriate point in the character building system. There may be some characters better suited to one or the other, and it wold certainly make sense if the 8 heroes i the game showcased each sub-class, but I sincerely hope they don't "need" to go one way or the other.

One of the most boring aspects of 1e was how each character had an "obvious" best build that one would be a fool to turn his back on (barring those heroes with no specialization, of course, who generally sucked.)

I agree, that they will be optional. But as you mention, some heroes will be destined by their abilities or appearence to take one sub class.

One-Fist as a knight? :)

But if one look at the changes in abilites for Landrec, Sir Valadir and Johnas the Kind, he must thinks, maybe the FFG are making changes just for the purpouse that every hero will be suitible for both subclases.

Well,

with new preview, we recieve new information about our heroes :)

Each hero sheet have a colored "gem" in the middle top of their character sheet. Colours are Red, Blue, Green and Yellow.

Red = Warrior

Blue = Helaer

Green = Scout

Yellow = Mage

Lets update my old speculations

Warriors = Dwarf guy with Axe (representative of berserk subclass) X Elf girl (representative of Knight)

Helaers = Billy the Mace (representative of Paladin class?) X Widow Tarha

Scouts = Oliver twist (representative of rogue/assasin) X Great Unknown (no figure, picture or character sheet yet seen, archer subclass?)

Mages = Leroic of the Book (rune master) X Girl with a snake (elementalist)

- Ok, great hole in my speculations, there are three character sheets with yellow gem on them (widow Tarha has a yellow gem) i hope that with new previews, this hole will be leaped over :)

Skill descriptions for most of these heroes are unreadable but you can still substract or guess their statistics. Great difference is, that we can see a "10" wounds on some character sheets instead of typical 8,12,16 wounds. ( i know about 20 wounds issue of Hugo the Glorious but i, as a overlord, will just pretend that this kind of guy do not exist). Also the dwarf guy have a 15 wounds on him? ( i need a bigger glasses or better picture to be sure).

Well, i hope that in new descent will be a 2:2:2:2 class oriented heroes, not 2:2:1:3 class oriented heroes. 3 mages is too much :)

Jafix said:

Well,

with new preview, we recieve new information about our heroes :)

Each hero sheet have a colored "gem" in the middle top of their character sheet. Colours are Red, Blue, Green and Yellow.

Red = Warrior

Blue = Helaer

Green = Scout

Yellow = Mage

Lets update my old speculations

Warriors = Dwarf guy with Axe (representative of berserk subclass) X Elf girl (representative of Knight)

Helaers = Billy the Mace (representative of Paladin class?) X Widow Tarha

Scouts = Oliver twist (representative of rogue/assasin) X Great Unknown (no figure, picture or character sheet yet seen, archer subclass?)

Mages = Leroic of the Book (rune master) X Girl with a snake (elementalist)

- Ok, great hole in my speculations, there are three character sheets with yellow gem on them (widow Tarha has a yellow gem) i hope that with new previews, this hole will be leaped over :)

Hum...for me it's obvious :

8 heroes in the box --> 2 heroes/archetype.

And so the 2 mages are Leroic and Widow Tarah.

(for me the color of the symbol on the heroe card tell the archetype : so yellow = mage)

The cool thing : it seems to be a male and a female per archetype,and that's great i think.

Where is "the girl with the snake" ?

Jafix said:

Perhaps the gem is nothing to do with class - maybe it's a measure of what the overlord gets when he kills a character...

Girl with a snake can be seen on leaked pictures of chinese version (right player on the picture), then on Game Trader Magazine (her hero sheet is under widow thara hero sheet) and her figure can be seen in newest preview (iam just gessing here, that stuff around here looks like a fox toail or fireball)

Colour gems... well, most typical wizards have yellow (leroic of the book, landrec the wise, mad carthos and Widow thara), green (ronan the wild), red (sir valadir, dwarf guy and elf girl in ver.2), blue (Billy the mace, Jonas the kind), if i see a different colour on different character type, i will gladly say that you are right, those Three wizards in second edition are creeping me out :)

All three yellow character sheets can be seen in previews and leaked chinese version of descent 2E

Jafix said:

Girl with a snake can be seen on leaked pictures of chinese version (right player on the picture), then on Game Trader Magazine (her hero sheet is under widow thara hero sheet) and her figure can be seen in newest preview (iam just gessing here, that stuff around here looks like a fox toail or fireball)

Colour gems... well, most typical wizards have yellow (leroic of the book, landrec the wise, mad carthos and Widow thara), green (ronan the wild), red (sir valadir, dwarf guy and elf girl in ver.2), blue (Billy the mace, Jonas the kind), if i see a different colour on different character type, i will gladly say that you are right, those Three wizards in second edition are creeping me out :)

All three yellow character sheets can be seen in previews and leaked chinese version of descent 2E

it's hard to tell if it's the same yellow on leaked chinese version...

or maybe there's only one healer in the box (and and then 3 caster?)

Aw.....so many questions...release the game ! :D

i don't have the v1,and i really can't wait the v2...

I would guess that game mechanic will be still the same for chinese and american version. Possibility of three wizards is keeping me away from sleep :)

the image on the official has changed...

now it's Widow Tara near the elf :

descent_2e_bg_a.jpg

Billy the Mace is Widow Tara at weekends.

A real Dwarf Fighter (a Dwarf looking like one, at least) seems to enter the fray...That's reason enough to take 2nd ed to me! I'm moved...he's even got a two-headed axe...my favourite...

Bleached Lizard said:

Billy the Mace is Widow Tara at weekends.

aplauso.gif

I hope that there will be 2 for heroes per crchetype, but looking at all those pictures I'm a little bit confused.

The way I see heroes is:

Warrior (red) - the elf Sudra & the dwarf with axe

Scout (green) - the halfling with a knife & unknown

Healer (blue) - the blue man with a mace & a woman with staff (see the minis pics from 1st preview)

Mage (yellow) - Leoric Of The Book & Widow Thara

So there is one missing. But looking at the pics I can tell that we are missing a scout woman. The pic that shows the 3rd mage is in my opinion from a very soon state of the game, besides we do not see it clearly. Let's wait for the next preview maybe it will clear thing up.

There's one more thing that I see - in every archetype there is male and female hero - I love it. I always thought there there is a too small number of female charactres in this game.

Jafix said:

I would guess that game mechanic will be still the same for chinese and american version.

The only major difference between the two versions is that an hour after playing, you'll be hungry to play more of the Chinese version...

Old Blue said:

Jafix said:

I would guess that game mechanic will be still the same for chinese and american version.

The only major difference between the two versions is that an hour after playing, you'll be hungry to play more of the Chinese version...

Beren Eoath said:

I hope that there will be 2 for heroes per crchetype, but looking at all those pictures I'm a little bit confused.

The way I see heroes is:

Warrior (red) - the elf Sudra & the dwarf with axe

Scout (green) - the halfling with a knife & unknown

Healer (blue) - the blue man with a mace & a woman with staff (see the minis pics from 1st preview)

Mage (yellow) - Leoric Of The Book & Widow Thara

So there is one missing. But looking at the pics I can tell that we are missing a scout woman.

The cover of the game box shows a male archer in green clothing – let's call him Robin Hood. So there is a chance that he is the missing scout – but this would mean that the halfling boy is a girl.

Otherwise, the cover shows that elven girl with huge shoulderpads as well. And in first edition, the heroes on the cover of the basegame (Hawthorne, Laurel, Runemaster Thorn) came with the first expansion.

Moreover, I think the woman with staff will be the female mage, she seems to be summoning some kind of fireball. So Widow Thara will be the female healer (a female witch doctor, I think).

Widow Thara is a mage - you can see that on the picture from chinease version. She is the one on the right.

So the woman with a staff (from minis) is going to be a healer or scout. And I will stick with a healer becouse she looks like an elf with a cloak made out of leaves, she is not summonig anything - watch carefully.

And the heroes on the cover are not going to be included in core set, maybe in future expansion but I doubt they will. Becouse the artist who made the cover is not the same as the one behind the heroes graphics. It's not like it was in 1st edition when Jesper Ejsing was the man behind all the covers, monsters and heroes pictures.

Well, that character (snake girl) have a blue cloak and on the end of her staff, there is a red blaze on it. You can see her on leaked chinese version,

her stats are

4 Movement

10 Wounds

4 Fatigues

Special ability is familiar, snake :)

Jafix said:

Well, that character (snake girl) have a blue cloak and on the end of her staff, there is a red blaze on it. You can see her on leaked chinese version,

her stats are

4 Movement

10 Wounds

4 Fatigues

Special ability is familiar, snake :)

how can you see that on a crappy picture?

Beren Eoath said:

And here's our scout girl - isn't she a lovely one?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp

looks like a healer for me ,a druid or something like that...

Ok, now iam confused :)

so the leafcloak you see can be really scout girl... hmm, iam at work right now but i will look closly on this for sure :)

First off lets put an end to calling the new female character snake girl. Only because I was let down when I noticed she did not have a snake around her. Since the new picture of her does not include a snake on it, lets just call her a druid instead. Here is the final grouping that I have managed to piece together as of yet:

Warrior Class (Red): Female elf with sword and shield, and Dwarf

Mage Class (Yellow): Leroic the Book, and Widow Tarah (Orc Female with bull skull on head)

Healer Class (Blue): Blue knight with mace, and Female druid elf. (Just because she is seen with the Blue knight on the banner for the Realms of Terrinoth page. The main page when you enter has Leroic and the Widow Tarah together, so my guess is that they paired them up together in the same classes.)

Scout (Green): The halfling with the throwing knife, and the last female character is still up in the air.

I think the odds of her being human are good since we do not have a human female as of yet. I do find it strange that out of the elves both are female. I would have liked to see a male elf. but they will more then likely add that further down the road. All I know is that I love being the scout class of hero, and whoever they have left for the female scout better be BA. I really am not interested in the halfing unit since he looks to be more about knives, and I am more of an archer. I know you can give them different weapon cards, but I would like to see one of the units with a bow. Overall, I can't wait to play with the new characters. I am interested in how they are going to mix the the old characters. Plus, I want to see the changes (if any) to the old characters special abilities.