My High Elf Project finally "finished"

By Yepesnopes, in WFRP House Rules

One of my players is currently enjoying your hard work :)

jh

I got to say your work is warhammer right now for me.
I’m playing a shadow warrior and well I wish the "faceless" class and the outcast caste as a whole was available when I played my first career…which wasn’t really pleasant nor fulfilling since no class really matched my idea of a high elf fallen from grace striding through the old world and finding a way to rise back to glory.
It’s truly great to have some rules without the fear of some thing "overpowered" for that play style now.
The "class skill" related to the faceless, well I love the idea of the armor but isn’t it a bit to powerful? Id suggest a "uthulian scale" in superior-quality which gives a fortune to agility checks maybe ? +2-defense is really strong and there’s no armor that got that (well that could be why you made one up).
I interpreted your writing in a way that the “inner darkness” in elfes is due to the curse of khaine and that some embrace it to later be redeemed by the goddess of purity? So right now my character got a mark of khaine ( we haven’t decided yet what or if benefits are related to it) That said, do you have any suggestions for “spells” or special feats that disciples of khaine could obtain ?

Again thanks for your great work !

Thanks a lot for your great work!

Just stumbled over it by accident and skipping through it - it's an amazing work. A lot to read about the Asur (especially for newbies to warhammer) who have been so neglected till now. Thanks again.

Nishra said:

I’m playing a shadow warrior and well I wish the "faceless" class and the outcast caste as a whole was available when I played my first career…which wasn’t really pleasant nor fulfilling since no class really matched my idea of a high elf fallen from grace striding through the old world and finding a way to rise back to glory.
It’s truly great to have some rules without the fear of some thing "overpowered" for that play style now.
The "class skill" related to the faceless, well I love the idea of the armor but isn’t it a bit to powerful? Id suggest a "uthulian scale" in superior-quality which gives a fortune to agility checks maybe ? +2-defense is really strong and there’s no armor that got that (well that could be why you made one up).
I interpreted your writing in a way that the “inner darkness” in elfes is due to the curse of khaine and that some embrace it to later be redeemed by the goddess of purity? So right now my character got a mark of khaine ( we haven’t decided yet what or if benefits are related to it) That said, do you have any suggestions for “spells” or special feats that disciples of khaine could obtain ?

Nishra said:

It makes me very happy to know other people aside for my party enjoy this material.

As for the comments, thanks a lot for sharing them with me.

Regarding the armour. Well, the armour is indeed far better than a normal chain mail and even better than a normal Ulthuan Scale. As a side note, let me remember you that the Gromril armour do have Def:2, indeed is a So:5 Def:2 armour. Let me explain you which was my idea behind the Armour of the Elven Kings (AEK). I wanted to create an armour that although not being the best armour (a normal full plate armour with So:5 and Def:1 is still better in my opinion than the AEK), it was good enough to "remain" with the character for a few ranks. This is because it is a career ability, and I feel that if you pay the dedication bonus to keep the ability, you deserve to have an item that last long enough.

Trying to balance the different career abilities it is in my opinion a no sense (you have mind blowing abilities like those of the Noble Lord, Seer or Gambler, and nearly useless one like the one of the Navigator), but I still tryied to to balance the AEK within the few career abilities that grant you an object (Ironbreaker, Maneater, Sword Master…). Probably we agree that the Gromril armour is totally over the top. Hardly would you find a better armour during the live of the character (of course is a matter of the GM). So we can safely assume it is an object you will wear from the moment you will get it until the character dies. Then, you have the Gutplate, So:1 Def:2 which is worse than the Armour of the Elven Kings, but it has indeed a very nice thing " you may wear armour over the gutplate; if you do, that armour's soak and defence apply ". Which effectively means that you can wear an armour on top of it while still keeping the gutplate ability to avoid critical wounds, and therefore the Gutplate is again an item that you can enjoy during the whole life of your character. From my point of view, this is not the case with the Armour of the Elven Kings. It is good enough keep it for a long time, but is it good enough to keep it in front of a full plate armour?

Said that, if the armour is to powerful for the world created by your GM, you can easely nerf it by lowering its defence back to 1 and converting it to a normal Ulthuan Scale armour (or to 0 as a normal chain mail) aside from the option that it allows you to avoid a critical wound if you bear the Curse of Khaine.

Nishra said:

I envision the Thiakhaine who has enbraced the Curse of Khaine as a mixture of more or less a 40% Dwarf Slayer + 55% Witch Hunter + 5% Zealot. Therefore in my opinion, any feat /spell that fits to this other classes, will fit also an that sort of Elf. If you are speaking of special abilities granted by the mark, much in the sense of the marks of chaos, something like the mark of khorne will fit. On the other hand, if you mean action cards, cards with the Slayer or Judgment traits will fit nicely. Still this is a very personal choice. Is your elf a reckless and bloodthirsty fighter full of rage? I will go for Troll Feller Strike, Reckless Cleave, Mighty Swing… is he on the other hand cold minded, hard training and relentless killer? go for action cards from the Way of the Sword.

Note that I did not restricted the Faceless, Revenant Knight and Lord Aenarion careers to the Thiakhaine or the Dispossessed elves, and any elf with an "inner darkness" ca follow this path. I did it like this following a bit the trend in 3rd edition to not set too many restrictions, but feel free in your games to restrict these careers to only elves which are Thiakhaine or whatever you want to do.

I am not fully sure I grasped fully this last point of you, if you want to discuss it further, do not hesitate to email me.

Cheers

Hey thanks for your in-depth reply, yes you covered most of it.
Now that I know what you had in mind with it I believe I can introduce it in a very deep and story related way to my character and the group.
Concerning action-cards, we decided to lay some to the side, slayer cards are restricted to slayers only so some cards aren’t available to me.
The "way of the sword" are out of the game as a whole since your GM believes they are overpowered.

So I am playing him reckless with barbarian-rage (which I play as a cold-blooded rage coming from the curse of khaine within and yes it’s a “work arround thing”) and the twin-weapon fighting-style. He is embracing the curse right now and a servant of Khaine appeared in the shade of night telling him that in cause of his deeds to the god of war and murder Kahine is granting him some "boons"….so the GM and I’m searching for good action cards/Spells to spice it up a little.

Since you got a astonishing insight into the elf’s in Warhammer I wanted some ideas for blessings/spells that you believe would match the lore of khaine covered in the 2.ED (since I don’t think we will see that covered ever in the 3.ED of Warhammer) so I am not asking you to design new actioncards (but I am sure they be totally great if you did) but to suggest some from the existing packs!

I cant praise this not enough, all your cards and the Elf guide are so stylish, i cant imagine how many hours that volume eated.

Its the most professional RPG fan work i have ever seen.

Its the most professional RPG fan work i have ever seen.

Thanks for the words! I also recommend you to check the fan supplement "Defenders of the Forest". It touches the Wood Elves. Although it is aimed for Warhammer FRPG 2nd edition, the work is a jewel. You will find it in Liber Fanatica.

The link seems to be broken I hope you fix this I look forward to reading your work!

I don't know if Yepesnopes is still active on these forums, but you can find the Book of the Asur here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B78tEyor-_2DMjFCTTFlWG9sLU0

As you will see, there isn't much activity on this forum since it got archived, but there are forums for all editions of WFRP at the Winds of Chaos site and there is also a Facebook group for 3rd Edition if you are on social media.