So we know the Allies get the Rattler and the Cobra. What do the Axis get?

By SGTManuel, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

And we have stats on both versions of the Rattler:

Dust-DTS012-03.jpg

Dust-DTS012-04.jpg

Wow, the price difference is only 2AP! That mans the normal Cobra must cost 47AP. ****.

If this the allied best hope to counter those terrifying Russian choppers, we're doomed. Why, this is worse than the Wildfire at downing aircraft! I'm sure the different A1 damage ratings for the 40mm must be a mistake (another one), cause I don't see why the AMP version would have a slightly better gun (and I hope the AMP is the right one). This actually works a lot better as an anti-infantry walker, with its decent anti-infantry U gun, plus the normal MGs and Superior Reactive Fire, it can harass the enemy squads like the Luther and Heinrich do. And on a water mission, it can sit in the water, completely safe from apes, zombies, flamers and saws.

I like this walker well enough, but I'm really starting to worry about what I'll be able to do against those frightful SSU choppers. I mean, all I really have is this, the Wildfire which is pretty much the same, and the Grim Reapers combined 9/1.

Wow that is disappointing! I was thinking the Rattler would be heavier hitter. At least armor 5, with the ability to damage armor class 4.
For 10 more points you can have twice the firepower by buying two Wildfires.

Some times I wonder what Fantasy Flight is thinking?

Also I think Gimp is on the rite track. It would be great if you could field say one captured enemy unit.
This would help balance the game, and would be just plain cool! The though of fielding a SSU assault chopper in my Axis army…. Oh I could wreak such wonderful destruction on the enemies of the Fatherland. demonio.gif

Panzer soldier said:

Some times I wonder what Fantasy Flight is thinking?

So in case anyone is interested in the math for the the Cobra I think its actually a bit better then it appears to be, so at first glance it looks no better then a pounder vs armor 4 they both have an expected outcome of 2 hits. But looking at the chance of rolling 4 hits, a 1 hit K.O. on most armor 4 walkers, the pounder has about a 10% chance of dealing a killing blow; 45% on a sustained fire. The Cobra has 21% of getting the 4 hits for one hit K.O. on the Armor 4 walker while only having a 43% chance to make the same roll during sustained. so assuming you are not sustaining the Cobra is more than twice as likely to get the kill. Also the fluff about the cobra in the zverograde rulebook is ridiculous as the chance of knocking out a heavy walker with a cobra in 1 hit is less then 0.01%.

Got the official answer:

The unit card for the ALLIES Medium Combat Walker M3-E ”Rattler” is incorrect. The rating against Aircraft 1 armor for its 40 mm AA twin is listed as ”4/1”. It should instead read ”5/1”.

Good to know that the mistake was in the lower value!

Still I think Wildfires are a better option, or even Grim Reapers. The Rattler is in my mind a huge disappointment for the Allies. I am glad I am an Axis player.

The Rattlers stats are fine against armour, they are only small calibre anti-aircratft guns after all. My chopper got shot down on turn one yesterday by Grim Reapers and the associated hero, the Allies don't lack for AA firepower. Mind you, my Fekyi (SP?) squad bailed out unharmed and as they could now sustain, fire wiped out that unit and Rattler next turn :)

The Rattler has only a slight advantage against ground units (U range, better performance against vehicles), but for anti-aircraft use I'd go any day with a Wildfire or - horresco referens - even a Recon Mickey.

If that twin 40mm gun had Burst Weapon, it'd be invaluable against hovering copters, and a reasonable choice. Right now… nope.