So we know the Allies get the Rattler and the Cobra. What do the Axis get?

By SGTManuel, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Ok, we have seen the Allies new med walkers the Rattler and the Cobra. I like the look of the new walkers moving, plus the allies get a good AA unit hopefully that still usable against armor. Not sure about the phaser walker I hate having to rule double to hit even if it ignores cover. I am hoping the Axis are the Wotan for lasers but have also seen the Loewe which look similar(it's in the back of Ceberus) so that's what I am guessing. Open chat about the new walkers everyone feel free.

Thanks

Since the Cobra and Rattler were brand new, never-before-seen units, I think the axis may follow suit and be something brand new instead of Ryu/Wotan/Loewe. One of the variants will most certainly be anti-aircraft, since this set is clearly meant to compensate for the fact that ruskies get aircraft before the other factions.

I would like it, however, if it was a new anti-aircraft units and a Ryu (which balances nicely with the Phaser).

Pretty sure they have already done the IP/rubber molds for the Wotan parts so it has to be up for release at some point. The only problem is that they're almost locked into this model of one shared chassis w/ two weapon variations so they would have to develop the Laser theme further. So yes, maybe something thats multi-chamber/rapid firing suited more for AA and AI (more variation/dual purpose). But honestly, as already suggested, the "Luther" shape is starting to look a little old. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a new design and revist the old again later (Sturm Luther, Jagd Luther, Wotan).

I for on ehope it is the Wotan. I think the axis have AA pretty well covered with the Henrich (U 5/1 5/1 4/1 advanced reactive fire) and the SturmKonig (U 9/1 9/1 8/1 advanced reactive fire) i can see the argument for a medium AA walker but like i said, it's pretty well covered. So for my two cents, a Wotan would be great. I seriously doubt we're going to be getting a whole new chassis at this point for the axis though i guess we'll find out soon.

My money would be on a Wotan type walker with 2x lasers plus a second unknown model. I would also expect a new pose and/or armor 5 chassis for at least one of the new walkers though this could be me hoping more then anything else. I would also say it is possible that a flak luther could make the scene though it would be doubtful.

It would be great if we saw the Jadjluther varient which could be Tank armor 4 but have damage resilient as its skill. Weapon loadouts could be dual lasers and the other could be a single 8.8cm cannon and a single Lothar missile pod that has reload.

If I wasn't a bit apprehensive about buying a Heavy Walker with the sole intention of cutting it to pieces I would make one. gui%C3%B1o.gif

This is some great stuff, Dakkon426's armor 5 comment makes me wonder if the new Axis walker may get additional armor since the Allies have options for pontoons. It'll be interesting if they are starting to add upgrades, and if that's the case can one use it on any of the older Mickey variants since it just looks like a turret switch. Also looks like the new walkers are about 5 dollars more then the old.

That's beacouse all new units are getting more expensive than the old ones. I guess if they released new inf 2 armor, 5 man squad for americans and axis they would cost 15$ instead of 10...

Seeing how new units look i guess we will get a reposed Luther chasis with Laser guns. I'm not very confident about AA trough. they already got a very good hvy AA. I think it would be interesting to see a flamethrower walker for the Axis! To counterpart the fireball;)

I would also consider giving the Rattler some Ap rounds! Those would come in handy when facing those pesky Axis troops!!

As these are brand new units i belive they could cover armor 5 hole in the game. "Newly produced armor gives them better protection" and that stuff;)

SGTManuel said:

This is some great stuff, Dakkon426's armor 5 comment makes me wonder if the new Axis walker may get additional armor since the Allies have options for pontoons. It'll be interesting if they are starting to add upgrades, and if that's the case can one use it on any of the older Mickey variants since it just looks like a turret switch. Also looks like the new walkers are about 5 dollars more then the old.

a Jagdluther 'glacis' you can stick on the front to go to A5? That could work right?

I'm hopin for an official dual 5cm walker. and official Jagdluthers and Furies of Ivanses.

I don't know if they neccessarily will go the AA route with the Axis models in the new set. The Axis already had a slight AA advantage over the Allies with the Sturmkonig. I think it would be awesome, since the Allies got the pontoon attachment, if the Axis got a heavy armor attachment along with the Lowe and Jagdluther being released. It would stick with the theme of Allied = mobility while Axis = harder hitting. Doubt it happens that way, but its what would make me personally happiest (which is what FFG should really try for lengua.gif )

Hmm maybe we will get some more mobile axis walkers? Less powerfull firepower but IE jump ability:D

Lska said:

Hmm maybe we will get some more mobile axis walkers? Less powerfull firepower but IE jump ability:D

I'd rather they didn't. I like how different the factions play.

Jowimus said:

Lska said:

I'd rather they didn't. I like how different the factions play.

Yeah they need to keep the Jump ability an Allies only one and Damage Resilient an Axis only one. gran_risa.gif

Yeah, armor & ranged weapons are already tropes of the Axis, while speed & devastating close-range firepower are attributes of the Allies.

But it's only a matter of time before the game creators begin to skew these stereotypical characteristics in order to create new & unique units (Sturmpioniere, anyone?) lengua.gif

Ahhh i see it now! Lvl 4 armor walkers with DR!! So cruel!

Yeah they need to leave mobility as an Allies trait, on a one off unit it's ok, but I see the next Axis walkers still using the Luther I body.

Armies rarely work only on stereotypes when they see what their opposition is fielding. Militaries in developed countries tend to have enough sense to adapt the good stuf from their enemies when they can.

That's why I liked seeing the Sturmpionere squad, or the Death Dealers, etc, so both sides were showing sense in what they deployed. The Germans would not have had the Panther or Tiger tanks if they hadn't adapted ideas from the Soviet T-34 and KV series of tanks.

While I like the Allies going for maneuverability, and the Axis for protection, when it comes to their infantry, those ideas work with what happened for WW2 armor in the real world. The Sherman and T-34 went for speed and ease of operation, while the Panther and Tiger went for more protection. Even with that, however, the Germans had fast tank destroyers, and the Allies had the JS and Pershing tanks for heavy armor.

The comics DUST is based on have Axis rocket troops, so it would be very sad if they didn't get them for the game.

I can easily accept the Allies not going for Damage Resilient infantry based on their historical armor decisions, but I would have no problems if there were more general weapon options across all sides, or a few more crossovers on infantry equipment. Even if the high command didn't want to do that, the troops on the ground were willing to use captured gear to do what they wanted to be able to do.

Some differences would be nice for fluff purposes, perhaps improved MP40's instead of shotguns to go with flamethrowers, just as the Allies use phasers instead of fleigerfausts, but more close ranged options for the Axis, and more long ranged options for the Allies, would be sensible things for the various forces to do.

Stereotypes can help give an army flavor, but the army should also make sense for the battlefields the game creates. They should not stay limited when they represent developed technological countries with the ability to adapt and develop appropriate tactical concepts for warfare.

So the new Axis walkers have come out of hiding and we're getting a flame thrower Luther, and the Wotan, and a special upgrade armor for the Wotan. With all those SSU transport and attack helicopters AA might be a bigger priority for the Axis and Allies.

I like the new units, but FFG should really ask some native speakers about the German weapon names. The schwer flammenwerfers are one of their worst examples.

And we finally see the card for the Cobra:

Dust-DTP043-03.jpg

49AP seems like a steep price for an Armor 4 unit, with 4 health and no U weaponry. While the axis went tougher with the Wotan and Flamm-Luther, the allies just seem to have supercharged their phaser. This unit does basically twice the damage of the Honey (not counting MGs), and can hurt heavy panzers, though it also costs almost twice as much as the Honey. It's got Amphibious, but really, how many scenarios really benefit from that? It will be safe from zombies and apes, but with limited range, it will still need to get closer to other heavy hitters.

Looks like a dedicated anti-heavy walker unit. A pricey one at that.

How much do you think the non-amphibian version will cost? How much is this skill really worth? It's just so scenario-specific…

It could also be decent once Amor 4 Infantry units are released…

But so far these new walkers come across a bit… unnecessary. Not something I'll be jumping on buying right away.

Well, the Rattler will be very necessary if you're facing SSU choppers. The allies have precious little AA firepower, so the Rattler will be almost mandatory, though I think it looks quite poor.