High Elves

By Yepesnopes, in WFRP House Rules

I am working on some fan material for the High Elves, that as a goal, I want to gather as an unoffocial Higl Elf supplement. I started a month ago with my house rules for high elf mage apprenticeship, and now I designed some iconic careers of the high elf.

Since in my games Swordmaster is an advanced career I also designed the basic tier swordmaster career, which I called Warrior monk.

I will start by these high fantasy careers covered by the fantasy battles army books, because it is easier :P .

I will then move to personalize career cards from the official 3rd edition supplements with some elf portraits.

In the mean time, if any of you have any idea for a low fantasy high elf career not covered by the rules, it will be very well welcome.

Looks great - though Im not really sure I as a GM would be comfortable allowing a PC a lion companion ??

I like the Idea of the White Lion and Swordsmaster been an advanced career. After seeing that the Ironbreaker is quite to hard at a basic level I changed him also into some kind of beginner career with a lesser Armour as suggested in Emirikols Houserules.

Great cards, great rules.

Boehm said:

Looks great - though Im not really sure I as a GM would be comfortable allowing a PC a lion companion ??

Me neither ;)

I just got encouraged after knowing that Hero's call will release Ogres.

I added a new High Elf advanced career. The Shadow Warrior which mainly is the standard Assassin with some Elvish flavor.

I am also starting to work on different starting abilities for the Asur, depending on their natal region .

Is there any other way I can view these files, I'm having trouble seeing them.

Amani said:

Is there any other way I can view these files, I'm having trouble seeing them.

Which is precisely your problem with the files? Can you not open the compressed files? The careers files inside the compressed folder are in a normal jpg format.

The file with the race abilities depending on the natal region (not finished yet) is a normal pdf file.

Glorian Underhill said:

I like the Idea of the White Lion and Swordsmaster been an advanced career. After seeing that the Ironbreaker is quite to hard at a basic level I changed him also into some kind of beginner career with a lesser Armour as suggested in Emirikols Houserules.

Great cards, great rules.

In my games, similarly to the Swordmaster and the Wardancer, I made the Ironbreaker an advanced career to avoid the problem with the starting Gromril armour. To enter into this career a dwarf must follow first a military basic career, like soldier. Then a bit of role play and suffering (hehehehehe) to get the desired Gromril armour, and then good to go!

Was going to react sooner, but then I didn't :)

Excellent work! This is all you really need (combined with enough fluff of course) to start a high elf adventure as far as I can tell.

Just some obvious text-errors/typos that I quickly saw when going over it:
Warrior monk career ability has some typos.

Also the career sheet, last paragraph should be "rely on instead of relay on".

White Lion Pelt card "sign" not "sing".

Woodsman's axe card: "wielder", not "wilder"

Nisses said:

Was going to react sooner, but then I didn't :)

Excellent work! This is all you really need (combined with enough fluff of course) to start a high elf adventure as far as I can tell.

Just some obvious text-errors/typos that I quickly saw when going over it:
Warrior monk career ability has some typos.

Also the career sheet, last paragraph should be "rely on instead of relay on".

White Lion Pelt card "sign" not "sing".

Woodsman's axe card: "wielder", not "wilder"

You cannot imagine how much I appreciate this! I am spanish and my english sucks, I will correct it asap.

Thanks!

Really nice!

You may whant to ad space in front of the text on some of the ability cards since it is touching the border.

LoveSkylark said:

Really nice!

You may whant to ad space in front of the text on some of the ability cards since it is touching the border.

mmmm, you are right. I will correct as many typos as I find and I will add the spaces.

In the mean time I have finished assembling the background of the different regions of Ulthuan plus the different starting abilities depending on their natal region .

I want to make clear that I have only created the rules. All the background information and pictures have been shamelessly borrowed from internet.

Yeah I guess I'm not able to open compressed files...not sure why. I know I've been able to in the past, but I'm not computer savvy at all so perhaps I'm thinking of something else. Any suggestions?

I just open the "natal region" link and it looks great!

Amani said:

I just open the "natal region" link and it looks great!

I will change the compressed file to a zip format, windows should be able to open it straight away. But not know, dinner time :P

Hey cool thanks man, Can't wait!

Try here with the zip version.

I added a folder with customized High Elf careers . That is, the same career, High Elf picture :P

The tier 3 of the Way of the sword has been added .

Warrior Monk -> Sword Master -> Sword Master Captain

Yepesnopes said:

The tier 3 of the Way of the sword has been added .

Warrior Monk -> Sword Master -> Sword Master Captain

Nice - I do however think that the Captain career ability should be EITHER ...OR .... so you cannot both use strength for the check AND damage - ofcause if you have a starting character progressing to captain this probably wouldnt be much of a problem since then a character would probably end up with S4 and Ag5 or something .... but if someone where to start off at higher rank and end up with a S2 Ag6 character thats kind of ridiculous (thought ofcause that would prevent use of parry...so S3 would be more likely). - being able to effectively use an alternate stat for your check would still be pretty powerful even if damage was still derived off strenght.

Boehm said:

Nice - I do however think that the Captain career ability should be EITHER ...OR .... so you cannot both use strength for the check AND damage - ofcause if you have a starting character progressing to captain this probably wouldnt be much of a problem since then a character would probably end up with S4 and Ag5 or something .... but if someone where to start off at higher rank and end up with a S2 Ag6 character thats kind of ridiculous (thought ofcause that would prevent use of parry...so S3 would be more likely). - being able to effectively use an alternate stat for your check would still be pretty powerful even if damage was still derived off strenght.

Hey Boehm,

Once more thanks for the feedback. Could you if you have some time develop a bit more your point? I mean, why you find the ability powerful.

In the mean time I will expose my idea behind it. Well it is simple. The Sword Master as per RAW, gives you Ag and To. To goes directly for soaking damage, while Ag....well Ag is nearly of no use in close combat.

So, as per RAW, you are a Sword Master and afterwards you will probably go to Sergeant and Veteran to keep on with combat oriented careers and to increase your Strength (which is as per RAW the stat that maters most in close combat). So at the end you will have an elf character like for example St5/Ag4/To4. As any other warrior.

The idea behind my rule was to differentiate a bit the Sword Master by making him an Ag based combatant. So for example after a few advances you may be like St4/Ag5/To4, but without the disadvantage of being then a bad combatant lengua.gif . I limited the ability to the use only of the Great Sword of Hoeth, since from all the descriptions I have found they are pretty much specialized.

Oh wait I see it now, with this ability I am making Swords Masters good at both, ranged and close combat....mmmmm

Ok! I will think about it. May be I have to go back to St as career characteristic (although I don't like it) and think of some other career ability.

Brilliant stuff there dude. You have done what others have failed to do :)

jh

Yepesnopes said:

The idea behind my rule was to differentiate a bit the Sword Master by making him an Ag based combatant. So for example after a few advances you may be like St4/Ag5/To4,

Im not sooo concerned about a St 4 Ag5 character - what Im concerned about would be high level (replacement characters) who might then start with St 3, Ag 6

High Ag is already very usefull for all sorts of skills and balistics etc - allowing a character to use what is perhaps one of the best sets of actions already off a second stat is extremely powerful .... In general the melee strikes using Ag are not nearly as powerful as the strenght based ones, though some ARE pretty **** good. (for gods sake, even backstab use St for damage!)

Allowing a character to use Ag for the check purpose ie. Weapon Skill (Ag) but continuing using damage from St .. is plently powerful for me!

NB: just count the number of Ag based skills vs St bases skills .... not to mention like you do, balistic skill

I do love your work though aplauso.gif

Boehm said:

Yepesnopes said:

The idea behind my rule was to differentiate a bit the Sword Master by making him an Ag based combatant. So for example after a few advances you may be like St4/Ag5/To4,

Im not sooo concerned about a St 4 Ag5 character - what Im concerned about would be high level (replacement characters) who might then start with St 3, Ag 6

High Ag is already very usefull for all sorts of skills and balistics etc - allowing a character to use what is perhaps one of the best sets of actions already off a second stat is extremely powerful .... In general the melee strikes using Ag are not nearly as powerful as the strenght based ones, though some ARE pretty **** good. (for gods sake, even backstab use St for damage!)

Allowing a character to use Ag for the check purpose ie. Weapon Skill (Ag) but continuing using damage from St .. is plently powerful for me!

NB: just count the number of Ag based skills vs St bases skills .... not to mention like you do, balistic skill

First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Indeed you are right, starting the Sword Master Captain career as a replacement character can cause some issues.

As a side note, you will still need St 3 for parry and St 4 for improved parry.

At the moment I will leave the Sword Master Captain career ability on stand by because I am working on the rules for "Nobility from outside the Empire" and it will take some time.

Saying that, if I don't find any creative solution, I will change To or Ag in the Sword Master Captain career for St, and make the Sword Master Captain career just a customized Sergeant or Veteran.

Thanks for the input!