Inspirational Movies

By skudfisher, in Grimm RPG

Another awesome game is Freedom Fighters. The overall tone of the game doesn't fit Grimm, but I am planning on adopting one of the major game mechanics of Freedom Fighters into a Grimm campaign.

(Accidently hit 'Post'. Continued from previous post)

Basically, each player would be able to take control of a number of NPCs. But they could only be ordered to do basic things. Attack, Defend, and Follow. These NPCs would most likely be puppets made by Gipetto or other things that have been brought to life. The number of followers each character could have would be equal to half(rounded down) of their Cool grade.

Video games, huh?

FolkLore. If you have access to a PlayStation 3 machine, FolkLore is very good.

The Alchemist said:

Video games, huh?

FolkLore. If you have access to a PlayStation 3 machine, FolkLore is very good.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that one.

About Mirrormask : I Highly recommend watching it with the sound turned off. The story is told well enough through imagery and action that you miss, literally, nothing ... and even pick up a few things you probably missed the first time. This is a great example of how to use metaphor to convey ideas and tell a story with pictures.

Hi !

I'm new to this forum and to this game, but Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask and Return to Oz really embody the atmosphere i want to create with Grimm .

I think we can add Sleepy Hollow (along with all the other Tim Burton's films already mentioned).

PS : Please excuse my syntaxical errors, i'm french

It's okay. You are wellcome. I am israeli and I am pretty sure there used to be an italian somewhere here on the forums. Nobody here will judge you by your english.

Not a movie so much as a graphic novel.

Grimm Fairy Tales.
Each issue of Grimm Fairy Tales has two parts: a frame story and a fairy tale. The frame story revolves around Sela, who has been given the ability to help people by showing them fairy tales with a lesson about their life. She struggles with the fact that people ignore her advice and ruin their lives anyway, and begins using her ability to dispense justice instead. Sela's nemesis is Belinda, who has the same ability as Sela but uses it for evil.

The other portion of the story is a twisted version of a classic fairy tale. The fairy tales are often violent and end in depressing ways, warning the readers to change their lives or suffer a similar fate.
Issue #1: Little Red Riding Hood
Issue #2: Cinderella
Issue #3: Hansel and Gretel
Issue #4: Rumpelstiltskin
Issue #5: Sleeping Beauty
Issue #6: The Robber Bridegroom
Issue #7: Snow White
Issue #8: Jack and the Beanstalk
Issue #9: Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Issue #10: The Frog King
Issue #11: Bluebeard
Issue #12: The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Issue #13-14: Beauty and the Beast
Issue #15: The Three Little Pigs
Issue #16: Little Miss Muffet Part 1
Issue #17: The Juniper Tree
Issue #18: Billy Goats Gruff
Issue #19: Rapunzel
Issue #20: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
Issue #21: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Issue #22: The Snow Queen
Issue #23-24: Snow White Rose Red
Issue #25-26: The Little Mermaid
Issue #27: Three Blind Mice
Issue #28: The Ugly Duckling Part 1
Issue #29: King Midas
Issue #30: Rip Van Winkle
Issue #31-32: Pinocchio
Issue #33: Three Snake Leaves
Issue #34: Puss 'n Boots
Issue #35: Dorian Grey
Issue #36: The Ugly Duckling Part 2
Issue #37: Little Miss Muffet Part 2
Issue #38: The Lion and the Mouse
Issue #39: The Frog and the Scorpion
Issue #40: The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs
Issue #41: Dante's Inferno Prologue

ravrtw0.jpg

http://jeftoon01.deviantart.com/gallery/ freaking amazing stuff. I am sure if you ask he will commission (meaning you pay) to do any fairy tale in a twisted way.

Twisted_Princess__Mulan_by_jeftoon01.jpg

Twisted_Princess__Aurora_by_jeftoon01.jp

Twisted_Princess__Cinderella_by_jeftoon0

Twisted_Princess__Snow_White_by_jeftoon0

Twisted_Princess__Ariel_by_jeftoon01.jpg

Wow ! Those graphics novels seem like the perfect inspitration source for Grimm. I will look at it asap.

As for the deviantArt artist, i'm stunned by the quality of his work.

Thanks a lot ! gran_risa.gif

NOOOOO Problem. Just helping where ever I can to support FFG games. Back to the WoW AG forums. Then Runebound. Might stop in the Chaos Old World forums to see if any request have been made.

Enjoy the comics, they are REALLY good. At the moment they will be up to issue 43 oct 28. I believe.

TV Show:

(2001) Tales from the Neverending Story (either a 4 part miniseries or a 13 episode regular show, depending on how it was broadcast in your region)

Webcomic/Normal Comic

Lullaby - " Taken from the worlds of Children's fiction, Lullaby is the story of Alice from Wonderland, Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island, Pinocchio, Red Riding Hood, and the Pied Piper who form a fellowship to discover what dark magic is warping their world. "

Ooh, now that I think about it, the Return to the Labryinth manga has good Grimm possibilities (its a sequel to the Labyrinth movie)

This looks awesome! I will have to check these out myself!

blaster219 said:

Ooh, now that I think about it, the Return to the Labryinth manga has good Grimm possibilities (its a sequel to the Labyrinth movie)

Yes they are! I have them and they are great! The Dark Crystal ones are great as well.

Personally I found Page Master and Quest for Camelot very helpful for getting my creative juices flowing

Actually I myself have a list of movies that are very inspirational....Alot may be repreated But Some where never mention...which i wonder way....Hmmm oh well.

1. Neverending story series
  2. Wizard of oz
  3. Return of Oz
  4. James and the giant peach
  5. Charlie and the chocolate factory/ Willy wonka and the chocolate factory
  6. Series of unfortunate events
  7. Mirror mask
  8. Dark crystal
  9. Labrinyth
  10. Pan's Labrinyth
  11. InkHeart (good movie by the way)
  12. INTO THE WOODS ( I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS, ITS A MUSICAL BASED ON GRIMM STORIES. Combines cinderalla, rupenzal, jack/beanstalk, and Little red riding hood )
  13. The 10th Kingdom
  14. Stardust (great film with robert de niro and michelle piefer
  15. The brothers grimm
  16. Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
  17. Adventures of baron Munchausen
  18. Monsters Inc
  19. Little monsters
  20. Princess Bride (a very good film that now has like a very big mainstream at hot topic.)
  21. Finding neverland
  22. Peter pan
  23. Hook
  24. Snow white: A tale of Terror ( This is a rather scary version of snow white. Really interesting. Recommended)
  25. Beetle juice
  26. Pagemaster
  27. ALICE (1988) (watching this version of alice in wonderland is a trip of its own. Twisted and so **** bizarre. I felt stoned watching it.)
  28. Jim Hensons Storyteller Series
  29. Coraline
  30. Bednobs and Broomsticks
  31. Mary Poppins
  32. Bridge to terabethia
  33. Harry potter series
  34. League of Extrodinary Gentlemen
  35. Last Action Hero (yes, i know its a weird mix But the plot is same....kid finds his way in a different world of movie characters
  36. Babes in toyland
  37. Witches
  38. Trick R treat
  39. Coolworld (a old film that had brad pitt when he was young)
  40. Spirited Away

Well,......thats the most on the top of my mind........I know of some more...but gimme a break its 230 in the morning....LOL........Take care everybody.

The Series of Unfortunate Events movie was great for me in getting ideas for Grimm. Theres even follow up material to read! lengua.gif

Not films, but I have a few comic books that come to my mind right now:

1) Promethea (Alan Moore)

2) Sandman (Neil Gaiman)

3) Coraline (Neil Gaiman) (the comic book is creepier than the movie)

You can also gather inspiration from other RPG books, like:

1) Changeling: the Dreaming

2) Changeling: the Lost

3) Little Fears

Coraline was originally a novel, which is also a good read for inspiration for this or just about anything involving resourceful children surviving through their own abilities. I know it's been mentioned before, but Mirrormask is good for this or, just about any RPG about fairy tales or strange and wondrous alternate worlds. Labyrinth is also a good choice... what else?

Movies from 2016: Jungle Book, Huntsman Winter War, and Kubo and the Two Strings.

For books I'ld like to recommend "Darkthunder's Way" by Tom Deitz. In this one a group of teenage boys from Georgia take on Uktena the horned serpent ftom Cherokee Myth and Legend.

I've just come to the forums from End of the World: Wrath of the Gods. How about the players playing themselves, but forced back into their nine year old bodies by whatever manipulator sends them to the world of Grimm? Darkthunder's Way even provides a manipulator in the form of Tsistu the rabbit, you can have him change into Bugs Bunny if you like. If your old enough to remember the cartoon with Bugs Bunny and Witch Hazel you can have Bugs mess up the transformation a few times before getting it right.

If you don't mind new age stuff I recommend "Power Within the Land" by R. J. Stewart, especially the technique on page 28 for entering into Fairy Tales.

How about the TV shows Gravity Falls, and Star vs. the Forces of Evil? In addition to Gravity Falls itself check out the AU's Monster Falls, Reverse Falls, and Reunion Falls on Bing Images and YouTube.