number of players and difficulty scaling

By willmanx, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Hi!

Sorry for my english, this is not my first language.

With my GF, we've borrowed the GoW at friday afternoon, so our weekend was about the war against the Locust.

****** Spoiler alert *****

1. run - Emergence (2p: Dom & Fenix): Won.
That was an easy one, some sort of demo level. Dominic (played by my GF) hunted down everything what he sees, so Fenix should run forward to have a chance for some kill.
We weren't exceting about this level, but this one for training: we've learned all the rules, and game mechanisms.

2. run - China Shop (2p: Dom & Damon): Won.
That was a bit harder, but (with some luck) we could manage it. Damon (Me) had some nightmarish turn in the second stage, after stucked between two drones, a wretch, and the Berserker herself, of course. It was lucky, but I could escape from them in three turns with zero cards (run away with one of the healed cards in my Order step, and luckily could use the other ones as reactions succesfully), then I could fully regenerate before Stage 3. On the last level Dom has some serius wounds from the Wretches, but didn't bleeding out. Then one shot from the Hammer of Dawn and one from Dom's shotgun killed the Berserker.
This run has a little bit more fun like the first one, but weren't too exciting.

3. run - Belly of the Beast (4p: Fenix (GF), Damon (Me), Dom (GF), Augustus (Me)): defeated
We started the saturday with the next scenario, and decided to try it with 4 player mode (two played by my GF and two played by me): it was a quick and deadly try (especially according to the previous ones).
We could go until the end of first level, but we were mostly run out of ammo and Augustus were bleeding out for 2 or 3 turns.
After exploring level 2, we were nailed to the ground by locusts at the last tile of level 1. First drawn the General AI Card, which sais every Locusts come to 4 range from the far, then Wretches attacked us, we could kill them: at the end of turn 6 of them spawned at four range from us…and so on…
So we couldn't handle the overwhelming monsters, and the Locusts killed the COGs one by one.
We were disappointed about the cause of the loss, it happened by the difficulty of the scenario, or by the four player mode.

4. run - Belly of the Beast (2p: Dom (GF), Damon (Me)): defeated
So we gave an other chance to this mission.
It wasn't a memorable try. We were killed in the third tile (the one with the weapon activation point). We had two Drones after us and a Theron Guard before us, when we reached the tile. We killed the Theron Guard and the Drones, ambushed a drone from the next tile, but he survived the overkill.
He perform an extremly successfull attack against Dom's zero successess on defend dices, so Dom started to bleeding out. And the 2 turns while I could revive Dom, were enough time to the Locust to surround us with a horde of nightmares.
But, at least, we could find out, the third scenario is a hard one.

5. run - Roadblocks (2p: Dom (GF), Damon (Me)): Won.
It was a piece of cake. We could save our ammo, grenades and good Order cards (Sit Tigths, Ambushes) on Tickles, boost up with some Scavenging, and a Scorcher from the weapon activation.
Then the way to the Map Exit was a massacre.

6. run - Belly of the Beast (2p: Dom (GF), Fenix (Me)): defeated
Another try….
We reached the keycode at level 2, were nearly bleeding out two times, and left some wretches behind, and some set-up drones before us on level 2.
We have decided to run backward, and do not confront with the drones, when (by the General AI Card) the Drones come to 4 range to Dom. Some of them were not in cover, what means they were in LOS. I could get out one of them, when two other drones drilled a hole under Fenix.
Drones at left, Wretches at right, and Drones at my area… That meant happy ending for the Locusts.

7. run - Scattered(2p: Dom (GF), Damon (Me)): defeated
That was the most enjoyable scenario.
On the first two level, according to the 1 player setups, we could go forth tactically, and with clever play there weren't too hard situations or empty clips.
But the AI card were against us: my GF drew "Reinforments" AI card three times…But I drew nearly all Boomers' Card, what meant two Boomer in advance, and one cover them on the other level… Dom couldn't deal with them.

On Sunday afternoon I tried the solo mode of the game.

8. run - Emergence (1p: Damon): defeated
After a perfect and carefully advance until the end of the map, I made a bad decision.
Two Drones spawned at the emergence hole, and I decided on the quick solution: dropped a granade on them. One of them stayed unharmed, and the other one had only a wound,and stayed alive too. But the emergence hole were sealed, so a Wretch and a Boomer appeared next to the two Drones.
The Drones moved one, the wretch moved two area toward me. Then I drew the General AI card, which moves the Locusts in two range to my area to attack there. I killed one Drone, dodged the wretch, but the other drone hunted me.

9. run - Emergence (1p: Fenix): won
I had the exactly same decision at the end, but the granade killed one of the Drones, the other moved on me, but in Locust turn, it was the only which attacked me. A killed it by gurading, then on my next turn I can move on the Boomer and attack him three times (he died by the first), then the wretch didn't meant any problem.

10. run - Belly of the Beast (1p: Fenix): defeated
I was curious about that scenario solo mode, due to the previous defeats.
It was much easier, cause I never get seriously surrounded by Locust: in the one COG move - one Locust move system I could run out from the middle of the swarm, and keep them only in one side, and a bit safer distance.
In this game, the luck was first on my side: I could get the boomshot from the random weapon deck, which is the most effective weapon against the Lambent Wretches with it's omen triggered automatic damage on the area.
I've defeated near to the end of stage 2, by a single Drone (he rolled 3 double wound; and I rolled zero success on 5 die - and I had "only" 5 cards in my hand).

/Just for fun:
It was a defeat, but I want to see the end of the scenario: so "loaded" the game before the attack, end re-roll the dies. I had to "load the game" one more time, in a same situation. And at the end I raelised I played the last stage in wrong way: I only drew one AI card at a time/

***** Spoiler end *****

I've some thought about GoW, and the original question about the unballance…

My main question on the statistics: how could you win the Belly Scenario such easy??? :D

But I have to work now :)

@Willmanx: Don't know if you are still keeping score, but i've had three losses on China Shop with two players, and one victory on China Shop with three players. Finally won that bastard of a mission!

@scy800 : yup. Thanks for your report. Results from Edge, BGG, FFG.

I had A LOT of fun with Casual Horde with the wife. Surely recommanded.
Then a win against the Berserker with the wife.

EMERGENCE

1 player : 24V, 16D
2 players : 36V, 14D
3 players : 8V, 10D
4 players : 10V, 9D

CHINA SHOP / MAGASIN DE PORCELAINE

1 player : 5V, 3D
2 players : 13V, 15D
3 players : 4V, 30D
4 players : 1V, 3D

BELLY OF THE BEAST / RENCONTRE MACABRE

1 player : 2V, 15D
2 players : 15V, 4D
3 players : 1V, 13D
4 players : 3V, 8D

ROADBLOCKS / BARRAGE ROUTIERS

1 player : 7V, 2D
2 players : 11V, 8D
3 players : 4V, 1D
4 players : 1V, 2D

SCATTERED / DES FORCES EPARPILLEES

1 player : scénario multijoueur seulement
2 players : 7V, 8D
3 players : 1V, 0D
4 players : 0V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

1 player : 2V, 3D
2 players : 7V, 2D
3 players : 0V, 2D
4 players : 1V, 0D

CASUAL HORDE / HORDE FACILE

1 player : 1V, 1D
2 players : 1V
3 players :
4 players :

The game is harder as the number of players grows. Yesterday, we losed 2 times in a row against the Berserker in a 3 players game, although we usually win it at 2 players.

Damned encore 2 défaites à 3 jours contre la berserker… La victoire était pourtant à portée de main ! La difficulté est bel et bien croissante en fonction du nombre de joueurs.

EMERGENCE

1 player : 24V, 16D
2 players : 36V, 14D
3 players : 8V, 10D
4 players : 10V, 9D

2 players : 13V, 15D
3 players : 4V, 32D

3 players : 1V, 13D

2 players : 13V, 8D
3 players : 4V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

3 players :
4 players :

-------------------------------

MISSION PACK 1

Le Paria

1 player :
2 players :
3 players :

C'est plus sympa de copier/coller les résultats les bros :)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 25V, 17D (+1 / +1)
2 players : 38V, 15D
3 players : 15V, 10D
4 players : 10V, 2D

2 players : 14V, 17D
3 players : 5V, 34D
4 players : 2V, 4D

3 players : 1V, 14D

3 players : 5V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

3 players :
4 players :

Mission Pack 1

Le Paria

1 player :
2 players :
3 players :

Let's try to copy/paste previous results guys :)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 28V, 17D
2 players : 39V, 15D
3 players : 16V, 10D
4 players : 10V, 3D

2 players : 16V, 17D
4 players : 2V, 8D

1 player : 2V, 16D
2 players : 17V, 6D
3 players : 1V, 15D
4 players : 3V, 9D

1 player : 8V, 2D
3 players : 5V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

1 player : 2V, 1D
3 players :
4 players :

Mission Pack 1

Le Paria

1 player :
2 players :
3 players :

Edited by willmanx

Let's try to copy/paste previous results guys :)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 28V, 17D
2 players : 39V, 15D
3 players : 16V, 10D
4 players : 10V, 3D

2 players : 16V, 17D

1 player : 2V, 16D
2 players : 17V, 6D

1 player : 8V, 2D
3 players : 6V, 3D

2 players : 8V, 10D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players : 8V, 2D

1 player : 2V, 1D
3 players :
4 players :

Mission Pack 1

Le Paria

1 player :
2 players :
3 players :

More data for our meta analysis:

4 playes = 0V / 3D

EMERGENCE

2 players = 3V/1D

More importantly, though. the game looks seriously broken with these numbers for 3-4 players:

Just look at the number of defeats! My gaming group is usually 5-6 people in all, so we have been considering including more players. We then realized that the most difficult element has not been the number of activations each Exploration mark yields, but rather the more players there are, the longer it is until your next the heal step. There are way too many shots being fired by the Locust that you just have to count on luck too often for our taste.

Our group is made up of players who enjoy throwing dice but love to strategize as well. We feel that there are too many luck-based elements - namely, a) cards in hand, b) Locust group activated; c) dice rolls. To counter balance this as well as to suit our group we are considering playtesting the following house rules :

1) During your Heal Step, draw 3 cards, keep 2.

2) When throwing a Bolo Granade, you may declare your target as a spawning hole and close it automatically but it causes no damage to units in the area.

Extreme balance option for 4 players:

3) For every 2 Locust activations, draw 1 card. (Mini Heal Step)

What do you think? Would that unbalance the game at all?

1) As the game is too easy 1P and fairly balanced 2P, we suggested that every player draw 1 card at each player's healing step, even his own healing step. It hardened 1p, stay the same 2p and gets easier to react 3&4p.

2) each character can activate for himself the ammunition equipment. It is not easier, but definitly funnier and alike to the original game. Suggested by someone on the forum.

3) bolo without roll and damage to close a hole alternate use. Like you.