number of players and difficulty scaling

By willmanx, in Gears of War: The Board Game

willmanx said:

I agree. I though the same thing when I played my first solo game last week. When you have more ammos, your throw more dices and succeed more actions and observations shots.

Yeah, I usually play boardgames solo as much as I do with friends. When I saw there was no balance on how many uses an exploration had between the amount of players, I knew that had to be the reason for the upscale difficulty.

Thanks for sharing ! a forgotten win of Tromdial on 3P belly of the beast

2011/01/03 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 16V, 9D
2 players : 28V, 4D
3 players : 5V, 3D
4 players : 7V, 5D

CHINA SHOP / MAGASIN DE PORCELAINE

1 player : 3V, 2D
2 players : 9V, 9D
3 players : 1V, 8D
4 players : 1V, 2D

BELLY OF THE BEAST / RENCONTRE MACABRE

1 player : 0V, 7D
2 players : 15V, 2D
3 players : 1V, 3D
4 players : 2V, 4D

ROADBLOCKS / BARRAGE ROUTIERS

1 player : 1V, 2D
2 players : 9V, 8D
3 players : 3V, 0D
4 players :

SCATTERED / DES FORCES EPARPILLEES

1 player :
2 players : 7V, 7D
3 players : 1V, 0D
4 players : 0V, 1D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

1 player : 1V, 0D
2 players :
3 players : 0V, 2D
4 players : 1V, 0D

Roadblocks, 4 players, 1 Victory/1 Defeat.

Great exercise in card management. You run/follow too much, you've spent too much cards/life, and you're blasted. You move too slow, you're swarmed by Tickers. You spread in too many areas, you can't revive bleeding fellow COGs. You stay in a tight group, you suffer area damage.

Yep, interesting comment. Some results from BGG and yours added

2011/01/06 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 16V, 9D
2 players : 28V, 4D
3 players : 5V, 3D

1 player : 4V, 2D
3 players : 1V, 8D

2 players : 10V, 8D
4 players : 1V, 1D

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :

Well, I was going to save off from updating my plays until I'd completed my plays of Hive, but seeing as there are yet no 2 COG games of Hive listed, and, umm, 'cos we won cool.gif , might as well put it up.

And it all looked very bleak around turn 3, Cole threw a Bolo into an area with 2 Drone, Kantus and 2 Theron Guard, only rolling 2 dmg. Okay, that's not so bad, but Firefight was the next AI card!!! Cole was SO bleeding out. But that was the only bleeding out, Marcus managed to revive him after surviving 2 Drone attacks himself without the benefit of cover. Skorge was looking invulnerable during the early attacks, then Reinforcements showed up, putting the final map with Drone, Skorge and 3 Theron Guards. Luckily, Skorge being Locust B and thus moving from Reinforcements meant both Marcus and Cole got to guard against him, then it was Marcus's turn and he used Pummel for two overkill Hammerburst attacks, second of which killed Skorge. Next AI card would've seen the Theron Guards activate!

Dam said:

Well, I was going to save off from updating my plays until I'd completed my plays of Hive, but seeing as there are yet no 2 COG games of Hive listed, and, umm, 'cos we won cool.gif , might as well put it up.

Oh yeah! I forgot I played The Hive too a few nights ago. So it was late, I played on casual. Played with Marcus Fenix solo. 30 mins in, I have five cards in my hand after wiping a Wretch out. Only one Drone activates. He comes up to me, I dodge while in partial cover. His 3 attack dice versus my 4 defense dice. He rolls all double-wounds and I roll no defense.

I look at my 5 card hand, I look at the dice, I look at my hand again, I look at dice again, I put game away.

Tromdial said:

Oh yeah! I forgot I played The Hive too a few nights ago. So it was late, I played on casual. Played with Marcus Fenix solo. 30 mins in, I have five cards in my hand after wiping a Wretch out. Only one Drone activates. He comes up to me, I dodge while in partial cover. His 3 attack dice versus my 4 defense dice. He rolls all double-wounds and I roll no defense.

I look at my 5 card hand, I look at the dice, I look at my hand again, I look at dice again, I put game away.

I think you mean you played Horde? Hive is the mission to kill Skorge and uses no Wretches. The wretch plus the casual difficulty level mention sorta would suggest Horde.

Dam said:

I think you mean you played Horde? Hive is the mission to kill Skorge and uses no Wretches. The wretch plus the casual difficulty level mention sorta would suggest Horde.

Horde, Hive. Hive, Horde. I was tired when I wrote that too :P

I got Gears of War at Essen last year. I started the Emergence mission on solo, beat it easily. With two and three players, Emergence was also beaten without too much difficulty. After all the stories about difficulty, we found it surprisingly easy.

But than we tried China Shop with three players. We got destroyed utterly. That berserker constantly hammering is very annoying. That coupled with some lousy attack on the rest of the locust meant a big defeat. I am very eager to try it again when my playgroup comes together next time!

About Horde Mode, don't forget to tell in what difficulty mode you played it :)

2011/01/11 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 9D
2 players : 29V, 4D
3 players : 6V, 3D

3 players : 1V, 9D

1 player :

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players : 1V, 0D

HORDE / MODE HORDE

Just to repeat and clarify: Horde, solo, Fenix, Casual mode, lost.

Tromdial said:

Just to repeat and clarify: Horde, solo, Fenix, Casual mode, lost.

Sorry, I haven't read it well !

2011/01/13 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite)

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 9D
2 players : 29V, 4D

3 players : 1V, 9D :soblue:

1 player : 0V, 7D :soblue:

1 player : :soblue:
4 players : 0V, 1D :soblue:

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

3 players : 0V, 2D :soblue:

CASUAL HORDE / MODE HORDE FACILE

1 player : 0V, 1D
2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

J'ajoute une victoire et une défaite 4 joueurs à Emergence... En fait il s'agit d'une partie à 5 joueurs où nous avons joué aussi avec Anya STROUD, fraîchement reçue dans sa version Héroclix puis resoclée et repeinte. Nous avons utilisé les cartes de personnages inventées et disponibles sur Board Game Geek (il y a aussi Hoffman et Carmine sur la même feuille). Nous avons généré pour 4 joueurs.

+1V/1D on 4 players Emergence... but in fact it was a 5 players Emergence with 4 players rules and locust generations.

We played with Anya STROUD, using it revamped heroclix and the BBG custom character cards (there are also Hoffman and Carmine). It was a nice game, perfectly fitted for 5 players.

2012/01/18 GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite

EMERGENCE

1 player : 17V, 10D
2 players : 30V, 4D
4 players : 8V, 6D

1 player : 5V, 2D
3 players : 1V, 10D

1 player : scénario multijoueur seulement

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

i've noticed that the 2 player scenario is the easiest.

After trying emergence with one, two and three players (winning them all, though just barely with three players) we had to try with four. And I can report we lost during the second stage of the mission. ****, this game really is hard with four players. I don't even dare to try China Shop with four players...

That could be epic but need experienced players for that one lol

GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite) 31/01/2012

EMERGENCE

1 player : 20V, 11D
2 players : 31V, 4D
3 players : 7V, 4D
4 players : 8V, 8D

1 player : 5V, 3D

1 player : 1V, 9D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

I only posted my update to the BGG thread (on 21 Jan), although you haven't updated it yet. I went 6-0 vs Hive with 2 COGs, and another poster reported a loss vs Hive with 1 COG.

Yep, I'm a bit busy with a starting blood bowl league at home. Done !

GEARS OF WAR - BOARDGAMEGEEK/FFG/EDGE (for victory/victoire, D for defeat/défaite) 02/02/12

EMERGENCE

1 player : 19V, 12D
2 players : 30V, 4D
3 players : 6V, 4D
4 players : 8V, 7D

1 player : 5V, 3D

1 player : 1V, 10D

1 player : 3V, 2D

THE HIVE / LA RUCHE

1 player : 1V, 1D
2 players : 7V, 0D

2 players :
3 players :
4 players :

willmanx said:

Yep, I'm a bit busy with a starting blood bowl league at home.

demonio.gif

Lucky bastard!!!

Dam said:

willmanx said:

Yep, I'm a bit busy with a starting blood bowl league at home.

demonio.gif

Lucky bastard!!!

right i cant even get other players lol

Hi only had the game a few days - played Emergence Solo and won without much difficulty, but did feel had some good cards just when needed.

Played Emergence again last night 2 player and lost, but just - we had sealed the hole but then i was taken out by one of the spawned Boomers - 2nd player kiled all other locust ust leaving 1 wounded and 1 at full health Boomer - he had a difficult decision to make - either to heal me, fal back or try and take out the wounded Boomer and tough out the next AI whilst in cover - he went for the latter, but failed to kill the wounded Boomer and was then taken out by the next AI.

Was a good game but I can see that 3 & 4 player games could be tough - have a 4 player game booked tonight with 2 new players - so thats 4 players collectivly with 3 games under our belt - I think we will loose serio.gif

Cheers

Well we played our game on Tues 4 player - to start I thought this is going to be easy, but got hard very quickly, was agreat game and we just managed a win with 3 players bleeding out the last enemy was taken out with a chainsaw.

having now played a 4 player i can see the points re ammo availablity etc, we were all low on ammow with 2 players having only grenades and pistols to deal with the last few locus figure including 3 Boomers - we only won cos we were all together and kept reviving the next player in the chain so they could keep attacking etc.

2 players had not played before, 1 player only once and myself twice - so not bad result considering.

cheers

i agree, Baird needs 2 ammo to start…but we found that to offset this is to have him either activate the first room available (specially if it has ammo), or you have him pick up hammerburst from drones first (meaing if someone kills a drone and drops a hammerburst, leave it for baird to pick up first). in case he can't do either of these on his first turn, then have him stay back while the others advance.

Baird is really strong when there are few cog (1 or 2 players). Over that, his ability seems quite weak.

It's been a while… A lot a failures in china shop and belly of the beast from the french forum.

EMERGENCE

1 player : 22V, 13D
2 players : 33V, 10D
3 players : 8V, 9D
4 players : 10V, 9D

1 player : 6V, 3D
2 players : 10V, 10D
3 players : 3V, 30D
4 players : 1V, 3D

1 player : 2V, 10D