Macharian Handbook: An Acolyte's Guide to the Galaxy of Guns

By MalikCarr, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Gustav said:

Malik do you plan to expand your compilations even more in the future? Using content from Only War for example?

Here's my angle on those.

In my assessment, there are three pen-and-paper games that FFG makes for WH40k.

Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch are basically variants on the same game. It uses the same rules and has a very similar play style, just with vastly different thematic and stylistic parts that I think speak for themselves.

Black Crusade, meanwhile, isn't entirely the same game. Many traits and talents work differently, it has new skills and has removed old ones, and so forth. The way Unnatural Characteristics work, for example, is a fairly obvious point, as are the fact that multiple melee attacks are worked off by Degrees of Success (as in a full-auto gun attack) than being entirely separate Tests. Parry attempts are Skill Tests rather than a Weapon Skill Test. I could go on.

Only War is an even larger departure.

When I set out to put this compilation together, it was with the stated intention of simply amalgamating available stuff to Dark Heresy players, which necessary meant cribbing from Rogue Trader in some ways since there's nothing stopping some of that weird stuff - and entirely not-so-weird stuff - from falling into the hands of Acolytes during an investigation or purge of bad guys. Of course, Rogue Trader characters could use it too since we're simply now looking at Availability only rather than a cost in Thrones. Space Marines probably can't even use most weapons intended for mere humans due to their giant muscular hands, but it can be helpful to know what's shooting at you.

When future Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader content appears I will start looking at another expansion, but I'm not planning on doing anything with Black Crusade and Only War simply because I feel stuff from those games are designed to work in them.

I can respect that, but some of the upgrades might be still usable.

like the duelist grip for melee weapons

and from OW, the whole customizing weapon section could be used for PC

I've fount that heavy plate is lighter than plate armour :)

Also in the decription of Whisper Bolt should be stated that it works only for las weapons and not for "Any non primitive ranged weapon".

Gustav said:

I've fount that heavy plate is lighter than plate armour :)

Also in the decription of Whisper Bolt should be stated that it works only for las weapons and not for "Any non primitive ranged weapon".

Blame Black Industries for the first one, they're the ones who made the Inquisitor's Handbook.

As for the second thing, if that's true then I'll have a v2.11 out soon. <_<

Dont worry Malikcarr, I am compiling a loooong list of stuff for v2.11

I think you should consider anyway mixing up the stuff from OW and BC in this one; yes the workings are a bit different, but it's because they are more balanced and "realists" in the standards of wh40k (for example, the space marine bolters at 2D10+5 Pen5 were a bit to strong, they put the space marines bolter at 1D10+9, Pen 4 in black crusade, which is a lot more balanced and logical).

On my part, I still use the same rules for equipment in my games and the same character creation, but I use the new melee combat rules (degrees of success and so on) because they are a lot better IMO, but still, the dark heresy stuff in the actual rulebooks fit perfectly; so I don't see why compiling all the other stuff wouldn't work well; but that's your work, and it is already a piece of art; I only wish that you continue compiling the rest!

I made a lot of notes, they are probably a lot of things I still missed, but I will be going book by book and then a general errors/typos and reccomendations. To Start:

Book of Judgement

You are missing the new pistols in the Book of Judgement like the Ius Automatic, Judgeslayer Handcannon, Raffir Ringleader Pistol

What made you decide to remake the Pax Factorem rifle into a heavy high power rifle (like .50 one) but still keep the semi automatic fire? Also, as a heavy weapon does it not gain any bonus to damage then? Will there be any Accurate rifle with a semi automatic function?

You are also missing the massive combat shotgun, for better or for worse (probably best to leave it out)

What about having the bulldog available without a motion predictor? “These models are commonly equipped with a Motion Predictor to enhance accuracy. The cost of model with an integrated motion predictor are 700 thrones more.

Derp! I forgot to add in the new weapons too you are missing

Primitive

Cosh (deals fatigue instead of wounds), Shiv, Side Handle Baton (+5 parry)

Shock

Shock Staff (1d10), Extendable Shock Baton (Small + 5 "hits"), Shocker (cheap taser) , Electropick

Power

Agni Pattern Power Maul (weaker than the one in your book), Lathe Pattern Power Maul (Similar to the one already, but again, slightly different and +5 to parry), Bakka Power Ram (-20 to use, 2 folks, 2x damage against inanimate structural objects), Cycoplean Power Maul (Can grant fear, a bit odd)

I really appreciate your work .

What font did you use for this and where did you get it?

What font did you use for this and where did you get it?

The main text font is Minion Pro Medium, which you can get with Adobe Creative Suites of any recent vintage. The text header is Heretica Inquisitor, which - as you might assume - is designed to ape the fonts that Black Industries created when Dark Heresy was first drafted.

would you happen to still have the ttf file for Heretica Inquisitor? I've been trying to hunt that one down for awhile.

Yeah, I'd love the Heretica Inquisitor, too. All I can find is incomplete font files, that are missing key characters and such. :(

Thank you MalikCarr! I've been trying to find Hellebore's font for awhile.

I've seen a sharp decline in rapidshare links lately, since normally I'm looking for documents and all of those seemed to have gone to scribd.com

This is great! Thanks

What is the progress like on the book?

These are awesome definitely bookmarking these for reading later

Wtf they've been taken off

This is one of the best things that I have ever seen for the games! Even if I do wonder why Garrotte is an exotic weapon of all things, I mean... The use of a length of wire to strangle someone, should not be that exotic after all, or maybe have I missed something.

If you ever make a list for psykers and their powers as well do you simply have to post a link to a paypal or something so I can throw some money after you!

Edited by doomande

Very nice, may you not be eaten by the nids this day.

So my group have just gotten a lot of money between their hands (they found a plasma gun on the bad guy and none of them dare to use it) and they wanted to buy a servo skull. The handbooks have become my nr 1 go to place for equipment, but I can now see that there are not a single servo skull to be found sadly, that is maybe something to consider adding into the next edition of the book

Hey Malik, really appreciate your work on these two publications, but can you, If at all possible, make a version allowing for comments within the PDF? I really want to use it for my group, but I'd have to make a few adjustments due to house rules... thanks in advance for any reply :)

One thing that I found out today were I was looking at the armour section once again, shock field generators are missing a price