Hello Again!

By tamsyn, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hmm... I *think* Firefox with the NoScript add-on will allow you to turn off flash on pages by default.

Don't get me started. I've been here since the Beginning. On the ANCIENT boards (before the "old" boards we just left), I was maybe a couple of names below the Great Millmaster himself on the post-number list. Then everything changed, and I found myself with much less to say.

I'm gonna look like a newbie here for a long long time. preocupado.gif

jgt7771 said:

Don't get me started. I've been here since the Beginning. On the ANCIENT boards (before the "old" boards we just left), I was maybe a couple of names below the Great Millmaster himself on the post-number list. Then everything changed, and I found myself with much less to say.

I'm gonna look like a newbie here for a long long time. preocupado.gif

I remember the ancient boards. They did not allow spaces in your user name, so I originally had an underscore in my name. When they moved to the old forums, the underscore became a space; only it took me forever to figure that out (d'uh). I just assumed that mine was another one of the accounts the was lost in the move. When I did finally resolve my login issue, and start posting again, the old forums suddenly disappeared. I guess because I only lurked on the old forums so long I did not have as much invested in them. I am kind of looking forward to the new raffle thing; but my points seem to have capped out at 30. Aren't your points supposed to increase with every post? Mine don't. I think I am broken, again. preocupado.gif

Hola! something something to make this long enough...long enough now? good

If you bookmark directly to the AH board, you skip the flash opening on the main page.

Otherwise I think I'd go mad and start eating people. And meeping.

-Frank

Frank said:

If you bookmark directly to the AH board, you skip the flash opening on the main page.

I'm not sure if Firefox+noscript will work properly. On a different board I regularly visit, it will get rid of flash-advertisements but also disables all of the nifty board features that rely on scripts. Maybe there are some settings that allow you to fine-tune that? I'll have to test this, when I'm at my other pc...

it seems to take ages to load the pages to reply which means it will be more time consuming and effort to post. boo.

tamsyn said:

it seems to take ages to load the pages to reply which means it will be more time consuming and effort to post. boo.

Yeah, these boards are definately heavier than the (great) old ones bostezo.gif .

If you -realy, realy- detest flash, why don't you uninstal the player plugin for FF?
You can uninstall it via add/remove programs in the control pannel: "adobe flash player # plugin" (leave the Active-X control it's used for IE). When you do that you don't need to worry about all the other scripts not working correct.
A good webdesign will use noscript tags to replace the flash animations with stills or animated gifs so the layout doesn't get messed up
You can allways use IE when you need to see the flash content.

ColtsFan76 said:

I feel your pain. I just hit the 1,000 mark. Better get started on this one. Start asking rule questions people!

And I feel yours (since I hit 1000 before you did with my insipid blathering on about chthonic lore :P ). Good to see a good chunk of old-timers already here...not that I am quite ready to return to regular posting yet, but I will be soonish...yesss...

I'm severely bad with names though, so all a' dese new lookin' avuhtars are gunna take a while t'get used ta. At least Tamsyn looks sort of similar...

At least this (my) Avatar sort of reminds me of Dr. Anton Zarnak.

Well I do have long blonde hair irl angel.gif

Hello old friends! And new ones.

It was a bit of a shock. I went out of town last week for a funeral and for a work trip to the Pentagon, and was flabbergasted to find my comfy forum had changed!

I don't like not being able to have my own avatar, but that's not too bad. This seems slower when I go through the pages. Is that just me?

It is kind of cool being able to start fresh, since I only had 40 or 50 posts on the old site, but I feel for those of you who had cranked up your numbers.

I really like the videos selling the games on the site in general. I have only been back online for a day or so, so I am still looking around to see what is new and exciting.

Ya'all take care and we'll be typing at you!

tamsyn said:

Does anyone also have some other language on certain buttons (like going to the last message?)

Hi Tamsyn,

The new site is based on the one used by Edge Entertainment (the Spanish publisher of AH). Lots of things here and there have not been translated ("Dirección de Skype") in Edit Profile, or have awkward translations ("Without signature" for "No signature"). And if you have a look at the URLs, you'll see that many page names are Spanish as well (the reply page I am in right now is "edge_foros_responder").

BTW, I agree with others who noticed that you found a good stand-in for your old avatar. You are one of the few people I can still recognize. I picked the closest one I could find to my old one (it's the wrong side, and its the same as ColtsFan's... but what are you gonna do?). There are rumours circulating that custom avatars are being worked on, at least.

I am at least starting to get to the point where the new forums are not a completely disorienting experience... or maybe that's just Stockholm syndrome setting in.

Cheers,
Chris

Thelric said:

You are one of the few people I can still recognize. I picked the closest one I could find to my old one (it's the wrong side, and its the same as ColtsFan's... but what are you gonna do?).

Sorry. sonrojado.gif

I tried to find something similar to my old one. This one seemed to be the most unique when I first got here. I promise I will switch if they ever allow custom ones.

ColtsFan76 said:

Thelric said:

You are one of the few people I can still recognize. I picked the closest one I could find to my old one (it's the wrong side, and its the same as ColtsFan's... but what are you gonna do?).

Sorry. sonrojado.gif

I tried to find something similar to my old one. This one seemed to be the most unique when I first got here. I promise I will switch if they ever allow custom ones.

It's no problem, really. It's a classic von Mises paradox ... given more than a handful of members, it is a virtual certainty that some of us are going to end up with the same avatar. Anyway, if I'm going to be end up being confused with someone , you're a great choice.

Cheers,
Chris

What do you think of this as a new signature line? "The new forum! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!"