Innsmouth VS Kingsport

By matttheman, in Reference Materials

I am looking at picking one of these up and am hoping you guys and gals can give me some pros and cons of each expansion.

It depends a lot on what you are looking for. Innsmouth is the harder expansion but has the personal story mechanic. Kingsports rift mechanic doesn't dilute like others and has the epic battle cards for a more interesting final combat. Both have interesting new AOs Investigators and Heralds.

It also depends a lot on your group and how they like to play.

In my group, we rely heavily upon teamwork - sacrifice the needs of the few for the needs of the many. Because of this we tend to prefer Innsmouth to Kingsport hands down. In Kingsport, we almost always designate one character to rift-management; and that's their entire game. Sort of sucks for that player.

But if you have a group that plays more towards an anarchy-style, letting Kingsport go out of control may be more fun, if solely from a psychological standpoint. Tragedy of the Commons.

Humchuckaninny said:

In my group, we rely heavily upon teamwork - sacrifice the needs of the few for the needs of the many. Because of this we tend to prefer Innsmouth to Kingsport hands down. In Kingsport, we almost always designate one character to rift-management; and that's their entire game. Sort of sucks for that player.

That's what most players do, but there is in fact no need of having an investigator stuck in Kingsport for the whole game. The situation you have to avoid is havin three rift progress markers on the same track: the fourth one will make troubles start. There is no need to remove tokens before; besides, having a track with 2 rift on the same "side" (movement pattern) is a plus: in case the same movement pattern is triggered *again*, it simply bounces away, with no harm.

And even having a rift open is not such a big deal: it starts adding doomers the round after it opens (and the odds are 1/6, so very low). This means that you just need to characters working for two turns in Kingsport to clean that track. So 1/6 to have a doomer added (in the worst case) vs an investigator stuck for the whole game? Go with the so called "anarchy" (which actually I call "strategy")!