Heroes sharing spaces

By guest482943, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I'm pretty new to the game so and I noticed in the rules heroes can share the space with any other unit. And that when a hero is attached to a squad they get attacked as one unit.

But what happens when the hero isn't part of the squad? Or if he shares a space with a vehicle? Do they get attacked sepearately? Does the hero gain cover when with a vehicle? Or does the vehicle block him completely?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

If a hero shares a space with another unit which he's not attached to, the attacker must chose which weapons are attacking which units. A hero never gains cover nor is he blocked when sharing a space with another unit. The attacker can chose to ignore the vehicle and attack just the hero, or vice-versa, or use some weapons on the vehicle and some on the hero.

Great, thanks a lot!

What about heroes sharing spaces with heroes? Is this okay? If this is the case, is there any limit to the number of heroes in the same square? It sound in the rule like you could technically have a vehicle and 5 heroes all sharing the same space. Not necessarily the best way to play, of course, but it appears to me that this would be legal. Am i correct?

I can't see why that would be illegal. You could have a full squad and a truckload of heroes sharing the same square, if you want to. Though for the life of me I can't see what advantage one could get from such a silly strategy.

I can see why you would want to loophole when there are some missions where you have to hold an objective by the 8th turn. I would put as many heroes as I can so the person shooting can only shoot at one unit or the other.

Humm.. yeah, that could work. But I wouldn't see that as much of an exploit of the rules. Paying for all those heroes and not using them to add longevity to your squads seems a fair price to pay for such a strategy.

From Revised Core Rules
Page 6
A unit includes all the miniatures pictured on the unit card. Whenever the rules mention a unit, it can be a squad, a vehicle, or a hero.
and Page 18
A hero can share a space with a friendly unit, even a friendly vehicle. Heroes are the only units that can share a space with a friendly unit. Even when heroes have not joined a squad, they can still share a space with a squad.

I could say 2 heroes max in a space, a Hero and a unit.

Filris said:

I could say 2 heroes max in a space, a Hero and a unit.

Yes, but that's not really a limitation imposed by the rules.

Got dizzy dissecting page 19, classic RAW vs RAI.

A hero can share a space with a friendly unit, even a friendly vehicle. Heroes are the only units that can share a space with a friendly unit." - This says it all.

"Even when heroes have not joined a squad, they can still share a space with a squad." - This ruins it, should've read "Even when a hero have not joined a squad, they can still share a space with a UNIT

But enough of that, I'm just giving myself a migraine. I'm ruling its ok stacking up heroes on the same square.

I don't see any confusion in those two sentences. The thing is that the 2nd sentence is talking about heroes joining squads, and explaining that even if the hero is not joined to a squad, he can still share a square with it. This sentence does not say UNIT, because heroes cannot join with any unit, only with squads.

Stack those heroes up! I'm sure we'll soon see some kind of weapon that does damage to all units within its blast radius, and that will end this party quite quickly (I thought from the fluff that the phaser would be such a weapon).

I think, it's simple.

One Hero and one other friendly Unit can be in a space.

And this Unit Could be one Squad, one Vehicle, one Hero or one Squad with one Hero.

I do not seek to complicate.

Filris said:

One Hero and one other friendly Unit can be in a space.

But the rules don't say that. It just says "A hero can share a space with a friendly unit". It doesn't say "A hero can share a space with one friendly unit", or "...with a single friendly unit." As the rules are written, there is no limitation to the number of friendly units (heroes) sharing the same space.

The text don't use plurial, so a friendly unit = one friendly unit

i'm french (sorry for my poor english) like i think Olivier Zamfirescu

a and one is the same word in french.

Filris is correct a means one. Share A space with A unit. the plural would have been units, not unit.

+1 to Filris then.

Here's what I did for one mission where you had to hold one tile. I rushed my infantry to the square as quick as possible Then I put one squad with a hero there and split the heroes from the other squads and put them in the middle square with the squads surrounding the square. It made the guy I fought have to shoot all the squads first that blocked los. Then used he pretty much had to choose who to shoot at the squad or the hero. he split fire but it didnt work as effective as focusing on one unit. In the end I stood with 2 heroes and won the game.

Loophole Master said:

I don't see any confusion in those two sentences. The thing is that the 2nd sentence is talking about heroes joining squads, and explaining that even if the hero is not joined to a squad, he can still share a square with it. This sentence does not say UNIT, because heroes cannot join with any unit, only with squads.

Stack those heroes up! I'm sure we'll soon see some kind of weapon that does damage to all units within its blast radius, and that will end this party quite quickly (I thought from the fluff that the phaser would be such a weapon).

Wouldn't flamethrowers already do this? Flamethrowers "inflict damage on all units in spaces between the attacking unit and the target unit." So to me that reads as get your flamethrowers and napalm throwers over there and light up that tile!

Humm... interesting point about the flamethrower. According to the revised rules, a flame weapon would indeed hit all units standing in a square between the attacker and its target. But I don't think that means that it will hit all units in the target square itself.

Loophole Master said:

Humm... interesting point about the flamethrower. According to the revised rules, a flame weapon would indeed hit all units standing in a square between the attacker and its target. But I don't think that means that it will hit all units in the target square itself.

Can't see any logic in that. If a hero and squad get hit 1 space away then they will also get hit 2 spaces away

I'd have to agree with Loophole Master going strictly from the rules. Incindiary blasts only affect targeted unit as well as units in spaces in-between attacker and target.

Whether that's logical or not... I'm not sure... if I went by logic, there would be a lot of rules I'd disagree with. :-)

I'm just talking about the rules as written. Nothing in the flamethrower rules say that you can target two units sharing the same space with a single attack. All it says is that you "inflict damage on all units in spaces between the attacking unit and the target unit". So that special rule only applies to spaces BETWEEN you and your target, not units sharing a square with your target.

Loophole Master said:

I'm just talking about the rules as written. Nothing in the flamethrower rules say that you can target two units sharing the same space with a single attack. All it says is that you "inflict damage on all units in spaces between the attacking unit and the target unit". So that special rule only applies to spaces BETWEEN you and your target, not units sharing a square with your target.

Sure, but the argument would just be you have to ask your opponent how they're placed in the square, then target the one on the far side, thus engulfing the square. Something to send an email about, I suppose.

Devinoch said:

Sure, but the argument would just be you have to ask your opponent how they're placed in the square, then target the one on the far side, thus engulfing the square. Something to send an email about, I suppose.

No - the rules states it applies to units in SPACES in-between attacker and target unit. The space the target unit is in will never be a space between it and the attacker, so other units in the same space wouldn't count.

I agree that FFG should clarify, but I still haven't gotten a response from the 3 other rules questions I've sent them throughout the last month - I'm fairly sure they just don't answer Dust Tactics questions.

Agreed on all points with Felkor.