Vehicles can't be jumped

By Dcal12, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I just realized this morning that, In the Core Set Revised, vehicles can't be jumped by other vehicles or squads. I may have played wrong yesterday. oops!

Cripes, just finished a game and my opponent jumps over terrain squares. Well we're both still kinda new and haven't really memorized all the rules so its ok. Charge it to experience.

Well, Jump could be used to jump over vehicles originally. It's only the Revised Core Set that changed the ability to disallow it. I find it a bit weird, specially since infantry with Jump is able to jump over buildings (which vehicles can enter). I agree that walkers with Jump shouldn't be able to jump over vehicles and buildings, but it makes little sense that a soldier with a jet pack can't jump over a walker, but if that walker enters a building, then he can jump over the whole thing.

I have a half a mind to ammend the Jump rules to allow infantry with Jump to jump over vehicles.

Makes you wonder if these guy's actually have any playtesters or proof readers. I guy with a rocket pack can leap tall buildings but not a mech, really?

Loophole Master said:

Well, Jump could be used to jump over vehicles originally. It's only the Revised Core Set that changed the ability to disallow it. I find it a bit weird, specially since infantry with Jump is able to jump over buildings (which vehicles can enter). I agree that walkers with Jump shouldn't be able to jump over vehicles and buildings, but it makes little sense that a soldier with a jet pack can't jump over a walker, but if that walker enters a building, then he can jump over the whole thing.

I have a half a mind to ammend the Jump rules to allow infantry with Jump to jump over vehicles.

Id agree with that revision. It kind of make sense for vehicles to not be able to jump over other vehicles but the infantry models who can leap buildings in a single bound?

So if a walker is in the way you should be able to leap over it is how I feel about jump capable troopers. I could see that being difficult for walkers jumping over another walker but human size troopers should be allowed.

This is one of those rules problems like HERO'S AND COVER. It is totally illogical to think that a man in a rocket pack cant jump over any other item on the board. When the Table top rules come out, they are probably going to allow it. I just fail to see how a man in a rocket backpack is able to fly forward for 2 squares, but unable to jump over those same squares if a unit or mech is there. Is the guy flying low to the ground in a straight line?? This is stupid, perhaps stupider than the hero's and cover rule. I like Dust and the models, but the rules continue to irritate.

Also, in the comic, rocket troops act as interceptors against drop pods up in the clounds. In DT they can only bunny-hop around the table :(

Well, perhaps it is assumed that rocket troops have expended most of their fuel to get where they are in the scenario start, though this is giving someone credit where it is not likely due.

Here is a question: If a unit is flying around, could you attack it with AA factors, say during reaction fire? If a unit is jumping, and you use a an Hermann to conduct reactive fire, would it not make more sense to use its AA values?

That would be needlessly complicated. The unit's armor value shouldn't change just because it's mid-jump.

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex said:

Well, perhaps it is assumed that rocket troops have expended most of their fuel to get where they are in the scenario start, though this is giving someone credit where it is not likely due.

Here is a question: If a unit is flying around, could you attack it with AA factors, say during reaction fire? If a unit is jumping, and you use a an Hermann to conduct reactive fire, would it not make more sense to use its AA values?

No, the troops only have infantry armour trait.

Major Mishap said:

Also, in the comic, rocket troops act as interceptors against drop pods up in the clounds. In DT they can only bunny-hop around the table :(

QFT. The new jump rule is pants. I can see a revised revised core set coming next year. There are a few crazies at the moment like cover for Heroes, Jump ability. Heroes joing other squads during the game and clarification of the new building LOS & movement rules. I haven't got a problem with new rules down the line so long as some of the illogical ones get addressed. I can see the rules evolving as this game grows anyway.

Ok I see this and you guys are making this harder than you think. The main reason they don't want you to jump over a vehicle is so you cannot jump over an enemy vehicle. Friendly Squads can move through vehicle as normal with ease no matter how big they are. If you want to jump my walker go a head but I'd say if they allow it I get superior reactive fire in these situations so I can shoot my guns at you in mid air.

arkangl said:

Ok I see this and you guys are making this harder than you think. The main reason they don't want you to jump over a vehicle is so you cannot jump over an enemy vehicle. Friendly Squads can move through vehicle as normal with ease no matter how big they are. If you want to jump my walker go a head but I'd say if they allow it I get superior reactive fire in these situations so I can shoot my guns at you in mid air.

I totally agree that if you are jumping over an enemy unit or vehicle, that unit or vehicle should get superior reactive fire.

arkangl said:

Don't see why you need to do that, if its jumping then its not shooting and nothing to stop you shooting before it jumps or after anyway - no need to add in another rule at all. Besides in all my games so far nothings ever jumped over anything! (not got rocket troops yet BTW)

My Mickey jumped over Sigrid once, just for effect cool.gif

Loophole Master said:

My Mickey jumped over Sigrid once, just for effect cool.gif

Exactly 99.9% of the time you are going to shoot at something rather than jump it.

nothing to see here (i had a question then figured it out)

I'd have no problem with not jumping over vehicles if it didn't conflict with jumping over buildings.

Someone already noted a vehicle can't be jumped, but put that vehicle in a building, and it can be jumped. If the infantry can clear a taller obstacle, they should be able to clear a shorter obstacle that fits inside the larger one.

If they want to suggest it isn't safe to jump over an enemy vehicle, why is it safe to jump over an infantry unit with better anti-infantry assets? I'd feel safer jumping over a Lothar than a unit of Heavy Flak Grenadiers.

It makes a lot more sense to say vehicles can only clear infantry, but infantry can clear anything but impassable terrain. That makes things consistent, and fits with what they say the rocket packs can do a lot better.

I donĀ“t get it... I can jump over high buildings, but I can't jump over a f****ng walker because they don't want me to jump over enemy walkers? If you go on with this logic it shouldn't be allowed to jump over enemy squads cause they 're able to shoot me onto my nuts while I'm midair.

Moiterei_1984 said:

If you go on with this logic it shouldn't be allowed to jump over enemy squads cause they 're able to shoot me onto my nuts while I'm midair.

There's a reason the guys with jump have a lot of crotchal armour.

But it's not only the Prob with nthe guys...

If my Hot Dog jumps over an squad of Bot Hunters, they could be able to shoot my walkers less protected underside.

Moiterei_1984 said:

But it's not only the Prob with nthe guys...

If my Hot Dog jumps over an squad of Bot Hunters, they could be able to shoot my walkers less protected underside.

But it has that massive base plate underneath to protect it.