wait before buy at least 10 years

By Blacki2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I heard the 3rd edition is in the works right now. It's going to be released in 2033. I'll leave all you suckers to play this obsolete 2nd edition.

Come on! Descent got a ton of expansions and a whole lot of love over the years. I only played the base game and there were a couple things I didn't like about it. The Road to Legends expansion ALMOST got me back because of the awesome world campaign concept. Now, they're releasing a faster, streamlined version and it includes the campaign? Count me in! I'll definitely pick this up.

Alrighty, I guess some people might feel ready by now, but I think they should listen to the OP and wait that one last year more for good measure.

No, wait ten more years after the pending release of Legends of the Dark

I mean, you wouldn't want to have wasted twenty years playing fun games when they might come out with another version at some point in the future, do you?

19 hours ago, kris40k said:

No, wait ten more years after the pending release of Legends of the Dark

I mean, you wouldn't want to have wasted twenty years playing fun games when they might come out with another version at some point in the future, do you?

This made me chuckle. Seeing the op did make me think that's a bit like saying 'don't buy a computer because a better one will come out' or 'don't watch a movie because they might remake it in holographic 4d real live actors in your living room' or don't do anything with this lifetime because if you wait ten more lifetimes everything will be new and shiny and so much better so why waste time on it now?

Of course the main point the op misses is that depending on personal preference when 2e came out you potentially had two different, both awesome, Descent games to play. Which, if you design your own custom stuff can actually work together with a bit of tweaking and creativity. In less than a week we might know of a third. Plus if you wait ten years you aren't factoring in the human factor- it could take at least ten years after buying the game to finally get round to having painted all your minis :) so you need to buy it early, the new edition might then scratch that painting itch if you've finished when it comes out. (with working on the fan project I might have my first edition minis painted by the time version six is released)

The really big flaw with such don't bother just wait logic is board games are really good at selling out- the fomo looms large with this hobby, so if you like it and don't get it you may be unlucky if you've left it too late and the final reprint ship has sailed, and rather than lose value as some posts suggest often they gain value as the rarity in some cases means the prices actually skyrocket rather than fall if a game has become really hard to get. mind you, guess you could then wait 50 years for the interest to have waned...

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
big flaw