wait before buy at least 10 years

By Blacki2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Even the ff is the only and best company for board games.I advise everyone to wait at least 10 year after

they see a new a title.The reason is that ff will soon revised the title to second edition or more ,as far for the

people they have the first edition (bad luck) really im sorry for this policy

yours allways friend

FFG is starting to upset me. The pace of all the cool stuff they are putting out is just to much. I can't keep up. I am drowning in things I wants to play and just can't get too. help me....blurble glurbleee blrbbblee..

Even though I don't have the first edition of Decent, I'll have to disagree with you. I've heard some dissent out there on the boards with the new edition coming out (not really surprising after the new edition of AH's Curse of the Dark Pharaoh came out), but it seems really unnecessary to me. If someone bought the first edition, plus any expansions, and had years of great gaming, then they didn't waste their money just because a second edition is coming out. If they don't want to buy the new edition, no one is forcing them to. It's always been a bit baffling to me that some get so up in arms because a different version of something they already love is coming out.

Here's how I advise people to view this new edition. It's new. If you have the old version, but want to try out the new one, get the conversion kit. You don't have to buy the full new game. If anything, the second edition coming out just means that there is an entry point for those who never played/bought the game before without the worry of trying to decide if you want to get all the expansions or not. It's a new starting point, so any future expansions will be down the line and one can just concern themselves with the base game.

I get it, though. I understand the feeling of the previous becoming "devalued" just because a new one came out. However, that's just how things go sometime. I would advise just being happy with all the time you had with the first edition and either stop there, or upgrade. The choice is totally up to you. Some games don't even get a second edition or expansions. If anything, a second edition is just a testament to how good the original was.

my friend i not agree with you.This is not the first time that this is happen,The conversion kit is allways hard to find.Regarding your point,after many years of playing you can buy the new one ,I like to inform you that not all the players are buying the title from the start ,i got it 2 years before ,and i like it a lot , also have few expansions Now what should i do ,should i buy the new one ,buy the upgrade or what !!????

my friend i not agree with you.This is not the first time that this is happen,The conversion kit is allways hard to find.Regarding your point,after many years of playing you can buy the new one ,I like to inform you that not all the players are buying the title from the start ,i got it 2 years before ,and i like it a lot , also have few expansions Now what should i do ,should i buy the new one ,buy the upgrade or what !!????

It sounds like you could buy the upgrade and be fine. I'm sure it will be available on FFG's website if you can't find it in stores.

Or you could just continue to get the rest of the expansions for the first edition. My point is, you should just enjoy whatever you get. I don't think it's healthy to get into the habit of feeling like you should buy everything so that you don't miss out. The second edition is great for me because I don't have the first, but I would still like to play the campaign expansions like Road to Legend or Sea of Blood. However, I can wait until expansions come out later down the line. If I get all the expansions for Second Edition and a Third Edition comes out. I'll just stick with 2nd if I liked it enough to buy everything that came out for it.

I have lots of games on my shelves that were only fun for a month, so if i can get ten years out of a game I'll call that a success. I'm going to grab this when it comes out, convert whatever I can of my old parts and have fun until third edition comes out.

blacki said:

Okay, as I go over the information more, here is what I would suggest:

If you don't want to buy a whole new game, just stick with getting whatever you want for the First Edition. Plenty to enjoy there, so it's not a waste of money if you're having a good time.

If you're interested in some of the new stuff for the Second Edition you can still get that and just keep it separate from the First Edition. If you ever decide to get the upgrade kit, then you can move whatever monsters and heroes you already have to the new edition. I guess, just consider them two different games for now. No harm in that.

causeitwasfunny I think you're mistaken in what the conversion kit is all about. At least how I read the description it just has the 2nd ed. cards for all the old heroes and monsters. Without the 2nd ed. core box the conversion kit is useless. And without the hero/monster miniatures from the 1st ed. (or other miniatures) the conversion kit is useless.

To the original poster I can only say that if you think like you say you do, then it is pretty much useless to buy any entertainment stuff. There will always be bigger, better, improved and more enjoyable options available if you wait. Or is there!?

Just buy it if you think it sounds like fun and let the others make their own decisions.

Mordjinn said:

causeitwasfunny I think you're mistaken in what the conversion kit is all about. At least how I read the description it just has the 2nd ed. cards for all the old heroes and monsters. Without the 2nd ed. core box the conversion kit is useless. And without the hero/monster miniatures from the 1st ed. (or other miniatures) the conversion kit is useless.

To the original poster I can only say that if you think like you say you do, then it is pretty much useless to buy any entertainment stuff. There will always be bigger, better, improved and more enjoyable options available if you wait. Or is there!?

Just buy it if you think it sounds like fun and let the others make their own decisions.

Right, that's why I corrected myself in the post previous to yours.

I just got the first edition of Descent and Well of darkness. and I'm being told "too bad , so sad" am sorry, but that's enough for me to take me gaming else where.

So is the reprints for Altar of despair, Road to Legend, and Tomb of ice going to be first or second Edition?

BlackZer0 said:

I just got the first edition of Descent and Well of darkness. and I'm being told "too bad , so sad" am sorry, but that's enough for me to take me gaming else where.

How so - is someone going to physically restrain you from playing 1e?

I would think that if that is the case, it would cut down on FFG's profit margin by having to employee a person to monitor each 1e game that is out there...did someone call for the Spanish Inquisition?

BlackZer0 said:

I don't see the problem. 1st edition is a good game, so you're ok there. And 2nd edition won't be out until next year, so you've got lots of time to enjoy what you have. Everyone's a winner.

BlackZer0 said:

So is the reprints for Altar of despair, Road to Legend, and Tomb of ice going to be first or second Edition?

I think it would make sense to update them, but I'd prefer if they just made something completely new instead.

blacki said:

Even the ff is the only and best company for board games.I advise everyone to wait at least 10 year after

they see a new a title.The reason is that ff will soon revised the title to second edition or more ,as far for the

I've heard this exact same arguement time and time again with RPGers. Most RPGs put out a new edition every ten years or so. That is, in fact, the established lifespan of a product like this.

If any company (not just FFG) puts out a new product and you insist on waiting ten years before you buy it, you really shouldn't be surprised that a new edition is right around the corner. Most normal people have had ten years to play and enjoy the older edition, after all, and they're ready for something new, while you're only now getting off your high horse, just in time to get pissed off about the new edition and wait another ten years .

Unless you enjoy watching from the sidelines and getting angry about the fact that companies want to revitalize their old products , I really don't understand the benefit of this kind of mentality. If you had only gotten over your self-righteous indignation earlier, you could have joined us in enjoying the new edition and gotten a good ten years out of it yourself before the next edition comes along.

It's true there are some people who are only now getting into 1e and may be disappointed that the announcement of 2e came right on the heels of their purchase (Sorry, Blackzero.) That's just bad timing; it sucks, but it happens. For those people, they can rest assured that the conversion kit will let them get at least some use of out the old edition if they decide to upgrade to 2e in a year or so. Or, as other posters have already said, they can just keep playing 1e if they like. FFG isn't forcing you to buy the new edition. You can keep playing 1e if you want to - there's plenty of material out there to keep you busy.

BlackZer0 said:

The reprints will certainly be 1e. They are reprints, not revised editions. To update them for the 2e would require a whole new run of playtesting, component design, etc, etc, whereas reprinting just means printing the same old thing again. Take a look at how FFG handled the revised edition of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion for Arkham Horror. It was very clear from an early stage that they were changing the expansion and not just reprinting it.

These boxes are being reprinted. I don't think FFG has any intention of retreading old ground with 2e, aside from offering fans the conversion kit for those who really want to keep using their favourite heroes. (I'm not sure that the new stat cards for old monsters would see any use except by fan-made quests, unless there are also spawn cards that follow the 2e system.)

I own everything with the Descent logo on it and we should be glad they are even giving any kind of support for the old stuff. I will continue to play with what I have and most likely pick up the v2 and the conversion kit. It will just be a different game that happens to make full use of all the figures I already own. You can't go wrong.

The original will only die if you stop playing it. There is so much content for that game that you would have to play constantly for so long to go through it all. I'm no where close.

What? Wait 10 years to play a game I could have on day 1, only to get butchered in a fiery wreck or pass on in some other obscure way before I get the chance to play? I think not. Waiting for the next edition just means you never get to play, and games are there to be played, enjoyed, and replaced when they are no longer playable. Why live if you don't live.

BlackZer0 said:

If they did a reprint I am sure it would be 1st Edition still. I am positive 2nd Edition will have it's own expansions.

if you've been buying Descent all along, keeping up with every expansion...

congratulations! You now have a "complete set!" No more 1st edition expansions, ever! You win!

Quizoid said:

if you've been buying Descent all along, keeping up with every expansion...

congratulations! You now have a "complete set!" No more 1st edition expansions, ever! You win!

I win? Hooray!!!! gran_risa.gif

Me too, hoorray!

Anyhow, this argument can be applied to almost anything you can buy nowadays. Cars, TV's, video game systems, even fashion. Call it evolution, progress or just change in tastes. Descent slowly slarted to become more sluggish with each expansion and additional rules. Hopefully the revision will streamline things again and I'm really looking forward to playing a full game in a couple of hours. But nothing is preventing you from not playing 1st edition Descent. It's still a decent game and there's no need to switch if you're satisfied. And if you want to stick with a game that will really remain consistently unchanged for a long period of time you can always stick with a casual game like chess. Or Monopoly, although there ARE several revisions available for that game too.

sputang said:

Me too, hoorray!

Anyhow, this argument can be applied to almost anything you can buy nowadays. Cars, TV's, video game systems, even fashion. Call it evolution, progress or just change in tastes. Descent slowly slarted to become more sluggish with each expansion and additional rules. Hopefully the revision will streamline things again and I'm really looking forward to playing a full game in a couple of hours. But nothing is preventing you from not playing 1st edition Descent. It's still a decent game and there's no need to switch if you're satisfied. And if you want to stick with a game that will really remain consistently unchanged for a long period of time you can always stick with a casual game like chess. Or Monopoly, although there ARE several revisions available for that game too.

Yeah, I think I'll just never buy anything. It's just going to have to be replaced later, right?

Having played games for over 50 years and own over 100 games myself I would like to offer a different solutition to time table for buying new games. There is enough information on the net to see if it is the type of game you are interested in and worth buying. Most games have some issues because not every possible combination can be forseen. As you play any game if you find a problem you can contact the maker for a ruling or in some cases make a home rule. I have a file of quick starts for games and house rules to make them more enjoyable for all players. We also make adjustments for players that are not a skilled as others so we all can have fun and teach new players better gaming skills. You will miss out on a lot of great gamimg if you wait too long. Just so you know there are other great game making companies but you will be hard pressed to find a game of higher quaity and more attention to detail then FFG. FFG also offer more expansions to continue to give you more options for replay and ways to keep games changing.