Barbed-wire

By player1049648, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Hi all, I was thinking of making some barbed-wire terrain tiles for my game. I was wondering how you would handle the tiles in terms of game play? I was thinking soft cover and some type of movement penalty. What are your thoughts?

I don't think barbed wire really offers much in the way of cover, it would just hamper the movement of infantry units. I'd say that leaving a square with barbed wire costs one square of movement. So a unit with Move 1 that's inside a barbed wire square would need to perform a double move just to move to the adjacent square.

You could say that the unit could ignore this movement penalty by rushing headlong and taking some damage, maybe 1/+

Brucer101 said:

Hi all, I was thinking of making some barbed-wire terrain tiles for my game. I was wondering how you would handle the tiles in terms of game play? I was thinking soft cover and some type of movement penalty. What are your thoughts?

methinks - i dont like adding new special rules and rules exception. I prefer working with existing rule framework

Taking under consideration level of abstraction i would use barbed-wire as ammo crates stand in.

if not -

my option 1. Terrain - add mines and use it as diamond type terrain from OC

option 2.Cover type

Barbed Wire- set up as cover

-does not block LOS

-cannot be passed by infantry type unit

-cannot be passed diagonally by infantry (infantry cannot cut corners)

-vehicle may decide to crush an barbed wire when entering its square.

-When trying to destroy a piece of cover, it can only be attacked in CC and barbed wire is 3 infantry with 2 life

Ive used barbed wire in my games and have 2 types.

Linear. placed between adjacent squares. Takes 2 actions to cross by infantry, vehicles will destroy it. And area wire, impassible by infantry. Both can be destroyed by charges.

Thanks for the imput. Just what I was looking for. I like the idea of linear and area having a different impact on game play. I also understand the desire to keep from junking-up the game with new rules. Good thoughts all around. I like this forum!

Doesnt block line of sight.

Counts as cover in close combat (only cover that works against clas C weapons).

You could count it as soft cover, which is really more of "concealment".

Major Mishap said:

Linear. placed between adjacent squares. Takes 2 actions to cross by infantry, vehicles will destroy it. .....

love the idea! its like building rules , would work :>

Barb wire should deal 1 or 2 health when entered/crossed by infantry