I give up !

By TrooperShark99, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Wow, after reading this thread, I'm **** glad I'm not a game producer...such a fickle customer base.

Realistically the expansion is only 11 days late at the moment.

Has it not occurred to anyone that FFG may be hesitant to drop a new release date because there have been issues with the shipment. In context of business and the nature of the gaming customer base, I think it entirely wise that FFG hold back on a release date until the stock is in their hot little hands. Why risk more angst and flaming?

Fortunately my life does not gravitate around one measely card game...I'm sure there are tons of things I can fill the space between waiting and finally getting to play the next expansion to this great game...

...like: beat it in nightmare, multiplayer, Middle Earth Quest, polish my car, clean my neglected house, paint some more miniatures...read LOTR again...

You get my point.

(P.S. here was me thinking DrNate was the games creator Nate French...**** glad that is clear prior to me asking / pm'ing)

I'm almost enjoying the anticipation of acquiring more of this game. If it was a traditional CCG I'm sure that I would have purchased many boosters by now and quite possibly be regretting the outlay.

Instant gratification is overrated.

I agree, Kristabelle.

In fact, I question why the original poster even felt it necessary to post this. Okay, you are frustrated and give up...why do we need to know this? Do you think FFG will read this and instantly (or more quickly) release HFG? Of course not. There are more constructive ways to express dissatisfaction. Telling the gaming community you "give up" is only worth a "shrug" from me.

While the company could be a bit more forthcoming, it's not a deal breaker. Who knows if the reprinting of the core set threw off scheduling/printing/whatever in other departments. For me, I just got the core set (I had to wait for a second printing!). So, I know I haven't been waiting as long as those who bought the game on April 20th, and I can understand their frustration.

However, when I played other CCGs, there were months and months between the original release and the first expansion. Many times a year (give or take). Now, I understand "normal" CCG first releases are a "fuller" release and LCGs can get away with the initial release being smaller with the promise of adventure packs coming out soon to fill out the card pool.

Either way, FFGs "Upcoming" page says all of the Shadow of Mirkwood APs are "At the Printer" and HFG is "On the Boat"; so, hopefully things will be going smoothly soon.

In the meantime, I'm still having fun. Tweaking decks. I still get enjoyment out of the initial quests, even though I've beaten them many times now (except #3...haven't even attempted yet!).

I suppose we all need places to vent...but sometimes it's less than productive.

Dain, I agree with you!

also the comment with the "instant gratification culture" is totally on the spot! I can't remember a time in my youth, that I had any patience problems with CCGs... I mean, even with MtG, the "greatest" of them all (commercially...), I NEVER had a FULL card pool, on the contrary - my card pool at the beginning was VERY limited, due to the fact, that you got only so many cards with a booster pack or themed deck - I played the **** out of my limited resources and it never got boring... people nowadays have no patience what soever! I want it all, and I want it now... for God's sake... just wait a couple of weeks more....

I can see the same guys already complaining after HFG's release - how easy it was to beat, how it got boring again, how they want the next AP... chill dudes! :) my only concern as to this game is the acquiring of more people, i.e. a larger fanbase and good and balanced cards, as well as fun, so that the game lasts at least a couple of years and doesn't die out... hell I'd be happy with as much as 3 years, given that LOTR CCG's seem to be "cursed" :D though they are the best of their kind, imo...

Vyron said:

Dain, I agree with you!

also the comment with the "instant gratification culture" is totally on the spot! I can't remember a time in my youth, that I had any patience problems with CCGs... I mean, even with MtG, the "greatest" of them all (commercially...), I NEVER had a FULL card pool, on the contrary - my card pool at the beginning was VERY limited, due to the fact, that you got only so many cards with a booster pack or themed deck - I played the **** out of my limited resources and it never got boring... people nowadays have no patience what soever! I want it all, and I want it now... for God's sake... just wait a couple of weeks more....

I can see the same guys already complaining after HFG's release - how easy it was to beat, how it got boring again, how they want the next AP... chill dudes! :) my only concern as to this game is the acquiring of more people, i.e. a larger fanbase and good and balanced cards, as well as fun, so that the game lasts at least a couple of years and doesn't die out... hell I'd be happy with as much as 3 years, given that LOTR CCG's seem to be "cursed" :D though they are the best of their kind, imo...

Don't compare other ccg with this game.MTG is a pvp game and Lotr is a coop game with standar scenarios.Wen you play a pvp game other people can make a new deck and you must find new strategies to win them.Here the scenarios are the same every time you play so if you can find a way to win nothing can stop you.

We now have an official release date and a substantive explanation for the shipping delays. Time to find something new to complain about.

Bohemond said:

We now have an official release date and a substantive explanation for the shipping delays. Time to find something new to complain about.

Can you share a link with us?

Edit: Nevermind. I just found it, and the way they present the explanation is great.

Yes, I enjoyed the little Middle Earth story to it. Can't wait for the 22nd!

Bohemond said:

Ha ha ha!!! Nice

Bohemond said:

I don't like the errata!

These expansions are too small!

The Troll is too hard to kill!

There's no way that Carrock will be out a month after HfG.

I never have enough resources.

Why does Leadership get all the good cards?

...that's enough for now.

I personally enjoy a more leisurely release schedule. I think once a month is too much product for me to keep up with. I'm still about 8 battle packs behind on Warhammer Invasion and I really want to pick up the new Legends Expansion--I just can't seem to catch up. Now I'll be buying into LOTR LCG and that will be a another Adventure Pack every month, plus an expansion once a year maybe. FFG can take their sweet time imho! :) That being said, I am pretty excited about Hunt for Gollum!

Just finish one more game with my friend. We play 2 players against third quest Dol guldur. We have agreement dont use powerful heroes.

So i use Eowyn, Legolas and Theodred. My friend use Denetor, Bilbo (proxy) and Aragorn. NO Gilmy no Beravur. So what you guys think????

We win without any problem. Still card draw even with Bilbo make a game. +Northern tracker and Faramir. My friend have about 15 cards in his hand all the time. The only thing what we care is make more victory points and remove more threat. Gandalf jumping around almost every turn like devil from tobacco box.

In my expirience i didn lose any game in cooperative game at all. Too easy.

Still hope for the future Adv pack.

You tried not using "powerful heroes" but you played Eowyn, Legolas and Aragorn? What is your definition of powerful? The weaker heroes IMO are Denethor, Glorfindel, Elenor, Dunhere, Thalin, Gloin, and possibly Theodred. Seems to me you used all but 2 of the most powerful.

Mestrahd said:

You tried not using "powerful heroes" but you played Eowyn, Legolas and Aragorn? What is your definition of powerful? The weaker heroes IMO are Denethor, Glorfindel, Elenor, Dunhere, Thalin, Gloin, and possibly Theodred. Seems to me you used all but 2 of the most powerful.

I f you look on my topic (some cards errata) you will see i talking about Gimly and Beravur. But as i understand even without them game to easy.

Yes look like if you wonna play coop game as a challenge (orherwise is boring ,walking in the park) you must include as well Aragorn, Legolas and Eowyn.

You now what i want. I want to lose at least 1 time. For last 20 games i lose only 1 solo game. And it was Helping the friends fan made scenario.

I never lose Any coop game. Next time i try exclude Sneak Attack ,northern tracker and Faramir.

Mestrahd said:

Glorfindel a weaker hero?Maybe you must take a second look on him.He is almost a broken hero.

Glaurung said:

You now what i want. I want to lose at least 1 time. For last 20 games i lose only 1 solo game. And it was Helping the friends fan made scenario.

Trying playing with a mono tactics deck.

pumpkin said:

Glaurung said:

No point. You cannot win. maybe only first quest..... About 85%-15% win/lose.

I make new deck with Bilbo/Beravur/Denetor. Use cards from HFG. Good deck work very well solo.Dunedan Mark is very good Card + MInistrel And songs.....

This deck lore/leadership but there is no leadership heroes at all. Only songs. Work very well.

Kristabelle said:

I'm almost enjoying the anticipation of acquiring more of this game. If it was a traditional CCG I'm sure that I would have purchased many boosters by now and quite possibly be regretting the outlay.

Instant gratification is overrated.

Always purchase boosters by way of draft tournaments (official or otherwise) for traditional CCG.

I hate waiting on the expansions for this game because of all the early hype and the long wait for the core set, but it does give me more time to play FFG's Civ and/or ME Quest. Find that silver lining. Or silver line game.

Glaurung said:

pumpkin said:

Glaurung said:

No point. You cannot win. maybe only first quest..... About 85%-15% win/lose.

I make new deck with Bilbo/Beravur/Denetor. Use cards from HFG. Good deck work very well solo.Dunedan Mark is very good Card + MInistrel And songs.....

This deck lore/leadership but there is no leadership heroes at all. Only songs. Work very well.

Sorry, I guess the irony of my inital response was lost.

Yes I know it is almost impossible to win with a mono tactics deck currently, but your post was about how easy the game is and how you would like to lose more often.

As I see it you have created a well tuned deck or decks and then you seem annoyed because you keep winning? I'd be annoyed if my well tuned deck didn't keep winning.

Someone, was it Servant, made a good point in that this isn't a PvP game so unlike those games once you have worked out how the encounter deck "works" it should be possible to create a deck that can beat it more or less consistently, although I think that is still proving difficult for a lot of people for the 3rd quest, which incidentally do you play that solo, and what is your win rate there?

But creating a deck just to beat the encounter deck isn't all there is to this game, its about creating different thematic decks, its about being part of a journey in middle earth with your favourite characters etc etc - if all you want to do is beat the encounter deck but then complain that the game is then too easy, perhaps this isn't the right game for you?

pumpkin said:

But creating a deck just to beat the encounter deck isn't all there is to this game, its about creating different thematic decks, its about being part of a journey in middle earth with your favourite characters etc etc - if all you want to do is beat the encounter deck but then complain that the game is then too easy, perhaps this isn't the right game for you?

came into my mind too... (no offence meat!)

pumpkin said:

Someone, was it Servant, made a good point in that this isn't a PvP game so unlike those games once you have worked out how the encounter deck "works" it should be possible to create a deck that can beat it more or less consistently, although I think that is still proving difficult for a lot of people for the 3rd quest, which incidentally do you play that solo, and what is your win rate there?

Yes after some games you understand that this game is not to find a killer deck but to make different thematic decks and make your journey threw Middle-Earth.As i said before the encounter deck stays the same so sooner or later you will find a deck wich can beat it consistently as pumkin said.

However this is not the point wen you play with your friends or solo.Killer decks will shine at tournaments and there you can compare your skills at deck building.

servant of the secret fire said:

pumpkin said:

Yes after some games you understand that this game is not to find a killer deck but to make different thematic decks and make your journey threw Middle-Earth.As i said before the encounter deck stays the same so sooner or later you will find a deck wich can beat it consistently as pumkin said.

However this is not the point wen you play with your friends or solo.Killer decks will shine at tournaments and there you can compare your skills at deck building.

OK . We can have long discuss here. Anyway i sow already many topics on this forum where is all my complains and conclusions was already present by another players. The main point is not about deck building , not about construct different themes decks. The main point is BALANCE OF THE GAME IS VERY BAD NOW!!!!!! Only this!!!!! And this nothing to do with ::: maybe you want to much challenge from the game and so on.

The problem is ::: there is lot of mistakes of designers , bad calculation , some cards to much powerfull some to weak , scaling of the game is also terrible.

So at least with rules they clear alreay many things......... This give me hope they will do everything right. Also HFG card (i sow the encounter cards already) quite cool and better scaling (more players more dangerous cards effect). But still there is a lot of job before game and cards even the rules will be balanced.

When is done you will see maybe in 6 months or something than i will be happy. Anyway i happy already (Tolkien game ).

I think with adventure packs and with errata and rules correction they will fix it soon. Wnen we will have a tournament system everything should be ok. (i hope).

But... Balance isn't the be all and end all of a co-operative thematic game, is it.

The game is not so unbalanced that in a 50 card set everyone is choosing the same 50 cards and the same 3 heroes to play every time, are they?

Naturally, some cards or card combos are currently more powerful than others and some heroes are currently more useful than others, but if I wanted to play a thematic all dwarf hero fellowship, it wouldn't bother me that I should really be playing with Eowyn because she is the killer questing hero and completely unbalanced when compared to the current dwarf heroes...

I guess my question is, even if some cards are unbalanced, why does it matter? Who really cares? and there are always going to be cards that are better than others and some that suit different playing styles compared to others, and that is never going to change and I personally hope it doesn't.

The only point of yours I have some agreement with it that is doesn't scale well once you get to 3 or 4 players, but then 1 core box is only really a 2 player game anyway.

Actually looking on Next adv pack CITC encounter cards i start understand this one is real challenge. Looks like difficult level at least 5 or maybe even 6.

The trolls a nasty and location with immune to player card effect should be quite interesting. Looks like every pack will increase level of challenge. I like it.

Sounds cool!!!! Cannot wait for the tournament system!!!